IGNORED

Best 3DS Games?

SoleGoose

Personally my favorite was Animal Crossing New Leaf.  I put tons of hours into that and had a blast.  Can't wait for the new one.  Also, Mario Kart 7 was lots of fun.  The best portable one I have played.

Metroid Samus Returns is worth a playthrough as well.  It's the only game I could use 3d with.  Some might be mixed on it but I thought it was a worthwhile title.

Edited by zeppelin03

Fire Emblem Awakening

Fire Emblem Echoes -> BEST Fire Emblem game 

Dragon Quest VII

Dragon Quest VIII

There are definitely others, but those four will keep you busy. I would go so far as to say that it's worth getting a 3DS for Echoes alone, so that is likely my favorite 3DS as well as Fire Emblem game. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Fire Emblem Awakening

Fire Emblem Echoes -> BEST Fire Emblem game 

Dragon Quest VII

Dragon Quest VIII

There are definitely others, but those four will keep you busy. I would go so far as to say that it's worth getting a 3DS for Echoes alone, so that is likely my favorite 3DS as well as Fire Emblem game. 

Ivw heard people talk about Awakening but Echos is that good?  I've got all three that came out but don't know where to start.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

Ivw heard people talk about Awakening but Echos is that good?  I've got all three that came out but don't know where to start.

I've played every single Fire Emblem game released in NA, and Echoes is the best. Three Houses I consider barely a Fire Emblem game. It's more like a dating sim with some fighting on the sides. Awakening is also wonderful. Suggestion: start with Awakening, then go to Echoes, then sell Three Houses. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds impressed me more than I thought it would. It starts out a lot like A Link to the Past, but then suddenly everything changes when you get a certain item.  Great stuff!

Can't go wrong with the Mario games either (though skip Mario Maker if you have it on other systems).

• Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted

My top 10 11 favorites:

A Link Between Worlds

Shin Megami Tensei IV

Shin Megami Tensei IV - Apocalypse

Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright (the best Layton game and the best Wright game)

Puzzles and Dragons - Mario Edition (seriously)

Fire Emblem Fates

Persona Q

Super Mario 3D World

Mario Golf World Tour

Metroid Samus Returns

Virtue's Last Reward

Honorable mentions

Theatrythym Curtain Call

Layton 5

Layton 6

Rhythm Thief

Fire Emblem Awakening

Any Etrian Odyssey game

Zero Time Dilemna

Shovel Knight

Shantae Pirates Curse

Azure Striker Gunvolt

The ports that you can't go wrong with

Dragon Quest VII

Dragon Quest VIII

Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor Reclocked

Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker

Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey

Radiant Historia

Star Fox 64

Ocarina of Time

Majora's Mask

Rayman 2

Luigi's Mansion

Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga

Mario and Luigi Bowser's Inside Story

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Xenoblade

Haven't played yet

Fire Emblem Echoes

Ever Oasis

Persona Q2

Stella Glow

Bravely Default and Second

Any of those Pokemans games

• Like 1

To add to Rothchild's post, I have played and can recommend Ever Oasis and at least Bravely Default (I only played the demo of Bravely Second, but liked it). Ever Oasis is done by Grezzo, who were responsible for many of the handheld Zelda titles and ports, like Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and the recent Link' Awakening. Ever Oasis is part dungeon crawler and part town builder, but relatively casual. The main campaign is pretty good and fun, but skip the post game content as there's way too much grinding. Bravely Default is in the same vein as classical JRPGs and features an extensive job system similar to FF V. It also has an interesting twek to the battle system, which allows you to conserve actions, so that you can rain down destruction upon your enemies or heal up your party in a single turn. It's a bit similar to what Octopath Traveler uses. The story is also very good, even though it starts out a bit slow.

I'd also like to second the Etrian Odyssey games as they're great and polished modern takes on the dungeon crawling subgenre of RPGs.

Then there's also Culdcept Revolt, a unique game, that almost everyone seems to miss out on. It's sort of a combination of a Monopoly-style board game combined with Magic the Gathering card play and collecting. You basically go around a board and inhabit empty fields with your monster cards. If you land on a field that has an enemy monster on it, you either have to pay up or fight it with your own monster cards on your hand. You also have cards to buff your own monsters/debuff enemy monsters, to damage and destroy them or you can upgrade your own monster fields, similar to buying houses and hotels in Monopoly. There are also elemental affinities and just so much more in terms of nuances. It's such a complex and huge game that alone can keep you busy more months. There's also online or local multiplayer, but I haven't tried it yet. Unfortunately you need at least two 3DS systems and at least two cartridges to play local MP.

Stella Glow and The Alliance Alive both had great demos, but I haven't played the main games yet. I've also heard good things about Code Name: S.T.E.A.M., which is a little-known game by Intelligent Systems and combines turn-based strategy with first-person shooting mechanics. A friend of mine once recommended the 7th Dragon series to me as well. It was supposedly co-created by the director of the first few Etrian Odyssey games.

A game that I always like to mention in threads like this one is Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars.

tom-clancy-ghost-recon-3ds-e-new-3ds-com

It's a turn based strategy rpg that you wouldn't expect to be as good as it is.
It was the first game that I played on my 3DS and I just couldn't put it down until I beat the campaign (around 30h).
The story is simple but it doesn't get in the way of the gameplay.
If you like this kind of game you should definitely give it a try.
If you don't like this kind of game, I think you should also give it a try. I don't like srpgs and I love this one.

15 hours ago, avatar! said:

I've played every single Fire Emblem game released in NA, and Echoes is the best. Three Houses I consider barely a Fire Emblem game. It's more like a dating sim with some fighting on the sides. Awakening is also wonderful. Suggestion: start with Awakening, then go to Echoes, then sell Three Houses. 

Oh yeah, forgot about Fates. 

Guess it really didn't leave that much of an impression 🙂 

It was honestly okay, and on lunatic mode it's the most challenging Fire Emblem game. But, it's just not that fun. The Conquest version of Fates is the most fun, and is basically classic Fire Emblem, but Fates is easily surpassed by Awakening and of course Echoes. 

3 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Oh yeah, forgot about Fates. 

Guess it really didn't leave that much of an impression 🙂 

It was honestly okay, and on lunatic mode it's the most challenging Fire Emblem game. But, it's just not that fun. The Conquest version of Fates is the most fun, and is basically classic Fire Emblem, but Fates is easily surpassed by Awakening and of course Echoes. 

How would you rank the three versions of fates that were released?

2 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

How would you rank the three versions of fates that were released?

Conquest > Revelations > Birthright

I know what they were attempting to do with Fates, give you different perspectives in the same game, but honestly the whole thing felt like a slug, especially on lunatic mode. It's a bit unusual, since from the getgo the game tells you to play Birthright then Conquest and finally Revelations, but it becomes almost like a chore. Although you definitely get lots of gaming hours out of it. 

39 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Conquest > Revelations > Birthright

I know what they were attempting to do with Fates, give you different perspectives in the same game, but honestly the whole thing felt like a slug, especially on lunatic mode. It's a bit unusual, since from the getgo the game tells you to play Birthright then Conquest and finally Revelations, but it becomes almost like a chore. Although you definitely get lots of gaming hours out of it. 

Thank you. We bought the special edition with all the games then being lost with all the options.  Never did end up playing it.

9 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Any of those Pokemans games

I got you fam.

FYI, I'm not a competitive player. If you're looking for information about competitive balance, go to Smogon. I'm also not a shiny hunter, and some mainline games are easier to catch shinies in than others. If you're either of those, YMMV.

• Detective Pikachu: An above-average point-and-click style adventure game that was released around the same time as the movie. It's short, but charming and funny. It was pretty well received.
  • Pokemon X/Y: The first new generation of Pokemon games on the 3DS. Good, but basic Pokemon adventure. Not much post-game. The story is good, but not great, and your companions are irritating at best. Plus, Yveltal looks like flying bacon. YMMV.
  • Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire: Remake of Ruby/Sapphire. This one is my favorite mainline entry to date, and has good villains, plenty of postgame, and an asinine amount of legendaries that you can catch in the game. You could also easily train and reset a Pokemon's EVs without ever battling by playing minigames. Gamestop also released codes for all the mythical pokemon, so you could have traded for an entire living Pokedex in this game's heydey. Sadly, the GTS is no longer up, so you can't get the mythicals anymore. Regardless, if you care about getting as many Pokemon as possible in one stop, this is your game.  For everything else, there's Pokedit. 
  • Pokemon Sun/Moon: Third mainline game released on the 3DS. If you haven't played any 3DS Pokemon games, this game is pretty similar to Ultra Sun/Moon without as much postgame. I'd say skip these and buy Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon instead.
  • Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon: Fourth mainline game released on the 3DS, and pretty much a remake of Sun/Moon with additional postgame content. The postgame is arguably one of the best in all of the generations because several noteworthy characters from games past make their appearance, and the Ultra Wormhole adds several hours as well. Gone are gyms, and instead you have Island Challenges, which some love and some hate. Also, no HMs, you have helper Pokemon to call for your HM needs. If you're looking for a traditional Pokemon game, this isn't it. Play OR/AS. If you're wanting something fresh, this is where I'd start.
  • Pokemon Rumble Blast: An older Rumble game that plays nearly identically to Rumble World, but has more of a story and no Pokemon from X/Y.
  • Pokemon Rumble World: Used to be a freemium game on the e-Shop, but the retail release gives you so much freemium currency that it's essentially just a normal game. This significantly improves it over the e-Shop version. This is the newer game, so it adds Pokemon from X/Y and mega evolutions. It is also the most polished. The only downside is Rumble Blast has more of a story. Gameplay-wise, both rumble games are the same. They're both action games, and your Pokemon have one or two moves they can use to defeat hordes of foes.
  • Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon: Of the two Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games on the 3DS, this one has better the best gameplay, the most variety in the dungeons, and the most Pokemon. This one is also the more difficult of the two. It's mostly agreed that it's the better game of the two as well.
  • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity: This game has worse gameplay, fewer Pokemon, and worse dungeon variety, but a better story and better characters/character development. If you don't like Super Mystery Dungeon, this might be worth a look.
  • Pokemon Art Academy: Fun but different take on the Art Academy formula. Regular Art Academy is more serious, is more like taking drawing classes, and throws a lot at you quickly, while Pokemon's take on it is more about fun and it's easier, doesn't throw as much at you, and is more at the beginner level. The characters, of course, are easier to draw in the Pokemon version, but both will teach you drawing techniques.

Which games are best will depend on the person and their preferences, but hopefully the information I provided can at least point people in the direction they want to go.

I could not agree more about Ultra Sun/Moon.  I had more or less written off the franchise as it turned into this horrid wash rinse repeat mess with so little change and variation after starting on Red when it arrived I was done.  I heard it was dramatically different and got it at a 1/2 off sale and it still blows my mind how fun it is due to those revisions.  No more of do stuff, town, do gym, get badge, repeat to end.  I like how the island itself is like its own full stage and that you have totem pokemon that are super charged with a crew, and that each island has a leader but handled so differently it's engaging.  Though despite that the core game is the same, still have random guys in the weeds with forced fights, random pop up trolls to dispatch, and the rest.  The real glue is that it's not a carbon copy re-run but it's a true JRPG now with a fulfilling and actually interesting and entertaining story that's fairly unique within the Pokemon universe and not just another kid after badges year by year.

I would recommend if you liked Zelda 2 to look into the first Adventure Time game as it mimics it well and is quite fun yet not overly long.  Code of Princess EX is a solid hack and slash but with RPG elements and a big pile of people to unlock that adds a lot of value and play value.  Castlevania is excellent a nice blend of like the 3rd on NES with some SOTN and God of War elements that blend nicely.  Various earlier releases based no franchises like Ace Combat also work very well on there.  Hatsune Miku is excellent if you are ok with j-pop music as the play elements along with the music are fun and you can either d-pad or touch it which is scored separatly and changes it up a lot.  And if you're a pinball fan there is a Pinball Arcade physical release with 8 William's tables, and from personal experience and owning one of them (pin-bot) it's one hell of a faithful fun way to experience it with the 3D turned on over just doing it on your phone or tablet.

• Like 1

Here are my favorites

• The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
  • Bravely Default
  • Dragon Quest VII
  • Super Mario 3D Land
  • Mario Kart 7
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
  • Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
  • Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology
  • Rusty's Real Deal Baseball

On 10/29/2019 at 9:13 PM, rdrunner said:

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds impressed me more than I thought it would. It starts out a lot like A Link to the Past, but then suddenly everything changes when you get a certain item.  Great stuff!

Can't go wrong with the Mario games either (though skip Mario Maker if you have it on other systems).

Link Between Worlds is simply amazing.

Events Team · Posted
33 minutes ago, SoleGoose said:

This might be the first that I'm hearing of these. I'll have to give them a look.

Available in the eshop.  They also made some cool Sega ones but I never got after those.  Kid Icarus and Kirby are probably my faves.

Also, shout out for Ikachan!

I shared this is another 3ds thread but here you go

Some awesome 3DS games I've played and can vouch for are 

Shovel knight

Fire emblem Awakening

Fire emblem echoes

Fire emblem fates

Pokemon x and y

Mario kart 7

Cave story 3D

NES remix

Azure striker gunvolt

Star fox 64

Zelda OOT

Zelda link between worlds

Witch and hero 1, 2 and 3

Pocket card jockey

Fan translated version of dragon quest monsters joker 3 (actually my favorite 3DS game)

Super smash bros

The must plays out of those above are

Shovel knight

All the fire emblems

Pocket card jockey

Dragon quest monsters joker 3

All the witch and heroes

Cave story 3D

Some games I'm sure are good but I haven't played are

Bravely default 1 and 2

Shantae

Xenoblade

Radiant historia

Mega man legacy collection

Some games to avoid at all costs

Kid Icarus uprising (terrible controls making the game unplayable)

Pokemon sun and moon (worst Pokemon games in the series. So many broken aspects in this gen)

Paper mario sticker (just no. Limited stickers to attack with in battles, getting stuck in the story. No no no.)

Edited by Makar