IGNORED

Pro Wrestling thread

CodysGameRoom

In other news, Blood/Oil Money Saudi "Elimination Chamber" has come and gone. It was, from a purely in ring and performance perspective, okay. Thoughts on the show;

Spoiler
  • No Cody Rhodes, though a Miz promo strongly suggests it may be "him bringing Cody in" though other reports are... Logan Paul. Either way, major oof imo. Miz also lost to Rey because of Dominick interference. Yes the baby faces screwed the heel lol.
  • Men's chamber was among the worst ever. Lesnar won the chamber, and is taking WWE title to Mania for Title vs Title against Roman. Y'all prepared for 2 belts Reigns? Lesnar did F5 Austin Theory off the top of chamber pod. Probably the highlight of the night and was pretty cool gotta admit lol
  • Also a concussion angle, based on earlier happenings and just current climate, was imo bad taste. Were better ways, imo, to delay Lashley vs. Lesnar then that. Namely, you know, not taking the title off Lesnar in the first place if their plan was Title vs Title all along. Apparently Lashley is injured, but that doesn't disqualify criticism imo.
  • Women's chamber, meanwhile, was decent. Bianca won and is getting a 'mania rematch. Hopefully her and Becky get more then ~30 seconds.
  • In relation to women & Saudi Arabia, they didn't make the women wear oversized baggy shirts, but they still had to wear full body suits. A step in the right direction suppose.
  • Also related, there were three total women's matches on the night! Besides the chamber, Becky vs. Lita was pretty good (Becky won if you coudln't tell from previous point lol) The tag team match not so good. Not actively bad but nothing remarkable.
  • They didn't even do the SD tag team title match. I don't mean cut it outright and ignore it. It went to "No Contest" before it got started. Usos jumped the Viking Raiders. Why even have it in the first place? lol. Least they got a good payday for coming?
  • Also lol if you couldn't tell from before; Reigns beat Goldberg. Forgone conclusion. Also a middling match. Least Goldberg didn't hurt anyone 🙄 I don't mind  the returns necessarily, though really hope they stop just giving him title matches when he does. Please.
  • McIntyre beat Madcap Moss, which was a decent match, in spite of the nearly horrendous accident. Holy Hell. Again, why they went ahead with Lashley angle after this just boggles my mind. Jesus WWE.

Moving out of spoilers here, but holy hell I'm glad that Moss is ok. That was a scary as hell botch. I don't think it was Drew's fault, or Moss' own fault, just a combination of things and some over compensating? You can be the judge. Be forewarned this is a bit of a rough watch, though ultimately it seems Moss is doing fine. Seriously, Viewer Discretion is advised.

Spoiler

https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2022/2/19/22942576/madcap-moss-slam-drew-mcintyre-wwe-elimination-chamber-2022 for updates that he is doing fine. Again, just holy hell. Props indeed to him for continuing regardless. Also props to Corbin's taking action to give him time to recover.

Edited by SpoonMan Abrams X

@SpoonMan Abrams X there's a lot to take in and I don't even know where to start since its all a mess but as for people who get into the business, its simple, smart fans who RESPECT the business and the people who helped paved the way for them to wipe their feet and drag their asses on all of it with cringy 'entertainment' ideas.  I don't know why people want to watch wrestling to laugh, or for people to feel like they fit in.  I don't wanna like wrestlers because theyre video game geeks like me, I wanna see them being bad asses that have no time for those things, like a Brock.  I think much of what ruined wrestling are the people who are trying to fit in into a community, when it wasn't like that.  Yeah its good that wrestlers arent getting stabbed and shot, but the fact that they were so good at what they did that worked those people up is what I miss.  How can anyone get actual heat and drama in a match when everyone knows whats going on?  The plot has been lost and its all entertainment, and I think its pretty cringy for the most part and really don't want much to do with it.  Also just to show that serious wrestling would probably draw again, why is the UFC so popular?  Or boxing?  Cuz its real, or even if its fixed, its treated as real and the people dont know.

@guitarzombie ...I kind of understand your point, but I was a kid who was "into wrestling" for about 3 years during the early days of the NWO.  I got sucked into the hype from a buddy who had been (and still is, last I checked) been into wrestling his entire life.

My wife and I started watching Wrestling, on a whim, back in August.  I was shocked she gave it a chance and was MORE shocked that she liked it.  Anyway, we both enjoy the mindless routine and Smackdown is kind of like our "decompression" TV at the end of the weeks as are kids are usually at their grand parents.  I think that the fact that the WWE owns that it's suppose to be a bit unbelievable makes it more accessible to people like my wife, who always assumed they were still trying to peddle that this stuff is "real".  When she started to watch it, she got it.  It's a show and people see it that way.

@SpoonMan Abrams X That McIntyre/Moss match was insane.  My wife had that one moment spoiled for her before the match but she didn't tell me about it.  I verbally let out an "oh my God!" and just looked at her and was like, was he ok?!

I know far worse injuries have happened in the ring, but I seriously can't believe Moss is walking.

And speaking of Moss, I hate that the's a goofy heal.  I know he's a young pup, which is why they've paired him with a staple wrestler like Corbin, but I feel like with proper rebranding, he could 100% be a top-tier wrestler.  I feel he has the looks and charisma for it under that silly veneer.  Ironically, the silly/fun-ness of it all might keep my wife and I around, but in regard to Moss, I really would like to see him transition out of schtick and away from being so much of a heal.

Ok, and last is theory (not Austin) time.  I was scratching my head about the Sami Zane/Nakamura match.  They've stripped Shinske of everything. I know I've been out of the loop for nearly 20 years so I don't know how the business works but I felt like putting the Intercontinental Championship belt in the hands of such a stupid heel is to simply to set the stage for a match with Zane and Lesner.  Could Brock be the one to defeat Reigns?  Maybe?  Will they allow Lesner to then show up and knock out Zane in 15 seconds in a challenge match for Lesner to have Triple-Belt status?  I could see that happening because of they way they're setting him up as an unstoppable juggernaut.  Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2022 at 8:37 PM, guitarzombie said:

@SpoonMan Abrams X there's a lot to take in and I don't even know where to start since its all a mess but as for people who get into the business, its simple, smart fans who RESPECT the business and the people who helped paved the way for them to wipe their feet and drag their asses on all of it with cringy 'entertainment' ideas.  I don't know why people want to watch wrestling to laugh, or for people to feel like they fit in.  I don't wanna like wrestlers because theyre video game geeks like me, I wanna see them being bad asses that have no time for those things, like a Brock.  I think much of what ruined wrestling are the people who are trying to fit in into a community, when it wasn't like that.  Yeah its good that wrestlers arent getting stabbed and shot, but the fact that they were so good at what they did that worked those people up is what I miss.  How can anyone get actual heat and drama in a match when everyone knows whats going on?  The plot has been lost and its all entertainment, and I think its pretty cringy for the most part and really don't want much to do with it.  Also just to show that serious wrestling would probably draw again, why is the UFC so popular?  Or boxing?  Cuz its real, or even if its fixed, its treated as real and the people dont know.

Not worth wasting any more my or your time trying to even fathom debating any of this. Clearly you're going to just keep doubling down on your bad takes. I would say it's fine, but it's not really lol. Nothing is stopping you or anyone from enjoying what you want to enjoy with pro wrestling. In fact you would probably enjoy it a lot more if you didn't worry so much about what other people are enjoy & just focused on what you may like. Not espousing about how garbage it is now because there is more then just "men being men" schtick, but again I already know that you won't lol. Regardless not going to waste any more time & genuinely hope you are doing well.

On 2/21/2022 at 8:26 AM, RH said:

@guitarzombie ...I kind of understand your point, but I was a kid who was "into wrestling" for about 3 years during the early days of the NWO.  I got sucked into the hype from a buddy who had been (and still is, last I checked) been into wrestling his entire life.

My wife and I started watching Wrestling, on a whim, back in August.  I was shocked she gave it a chance and was MORE shocked that she liked it.  Anyway, we both enjoy the mindless routine and Smackdown is kind of like our "decompression" TV at the end of the weeks as are kids are usually at their grand parents.  I think that the fact that the WWE owns that it's suppose to be a bit unbelievable makes it more accessible to people like my wife, who always assumed they were still trying to peddle that this stuff is "real".  When she started to watch it, she got it.  It's a show and people see it that way.

@SpoonMan Abrams X That McIntyre/Moss match was insane.  My wife had that one moment spoiled for her before the match but she didn't tell me about it.  I verbally let out an "oh my God!" and just looked at her and was like, was he ok?!

I know far worse injuries have happened in the ring, but I seriously can't believe Moss is walking.

And speaking of Moss, I hate that the's a goofy heal.  I know he's a young pup, which is why they've paired him with a staple wrestler like Corbin, but I feel like with proper rebranding, he could 100% be a top-tier wrestler.  I feel he has the looks and charisma for it under that silly veneer.  Ironically, the silly/fun-ness of it all might keep my wife and I around, but in regard to Moss, I really would like to see him transition out of schtick and away from being so much of a heal.

Ok, and last is theory (not Austin) time.  I was scratching my head about the Sami Zane/Nakamura match.  They've stripped Shinske of everything. I know I've been out of the loop for nearly 20 years so I don't know how the business works but I felt like putting the Intercontinental Championship belt in the hands of such a stupid heel is to simply to set the stage for a match with Zane and Lesner.  Could Brock be the one to defeat Reigns?  Maybe?  Will they allow Lesner to then show up and knock out Zane in 15 seconds in a challenge match for Lesner to have Triple-Belt status?  I could see that happening because of they way they're setting him up as an unstoppable juggernaut.  Thoughts?

It was something else. He's been in matches since then so seems he really dodged a bullet. Man is damn lucky.

Also a good theory, and might almost be better then what they actually have planned, which is Sami Zayne vs Johnny Knoxville lol. Also apparently VINCE GODDAMN 70+ YEAR OLD MCMAHON is having a match at Wrestlemania lmao

Edited by SpoonMan Abrams X

7 hours ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

Not worth wasting any more my or your time trying to even fathom debating any of this. Clearly you're going to just keep doubling down on your bad takes. I would say it's fine, but it's not really lol. Nothing is stopping you or anyone from enjoying what you want to enjoy with pro wrestling. In fact you would probably enjoy it a lot more if you didn't worry so much about what other people are enjoy & just focused on what you may like. Not espousing about how garbage it is now because there is more then just "men being men" schtick, but again I already know that you won't lol. Regardless not going to waste any more time & genuinely hope you are doing well.

Haha well YOU think its a "bad take" or OPINION, but plenty of other people agree with me. Its not doubling down, these are thing that people who used to really enjoy classic wrestling feel.  Believe me, I HAVE watched bits of it, either people posting stuff on twitter or the rare WWE ppv and its AWFUL.  99% of it.  But, I am doing well, thanks! 🙂

AEW Revolution tomorrow. I don't think I am as hyped for it as I have last couple AEW shows, but it should still be really good.

Tony Khan supposedly still has another big ol' announcement of some sort, imagine it's some sort of streaming deal, which was the popular theory before the RoH announcement. AEW on HBO Max, anyone?

On 3/5/2022 at 6:27 PM, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

AEW Revolution tomorrow.

Show was absolutely lit. House of Black Vs Pac Penta and Redbeard, Tag titles 3 way, Punk/MJF, Hardy Family Vs Sting and the gang, Mox/Bryan, and Adam/Adam were all killer. Really great show all around in my opinion. 

Spoiler

Especially loved Punk/MJF. Anyone with doubts about Punk since he came back should be quelled now. That was such a good match, such great storytelling. And Punk doing the ROH entrance brought me near tears. I used to drive to Chicago from Nebraska to see that. Incredible. 

Well that sucks.  Such a young age too.  Scott Hall, Kevin Nash and Hollywood Hogan are what brought me into wrestling as a kid.  This is definitely sad news for me.  I'll be throwing my toothpick after dinner tonight, in honor of the legend.

Edited by RH

• 4 weeks later...

ok, so Wreslemania was this weekend.  I assume you all watched it, but just in case, I'll put my comments in a spoiler tag.

Spoiler

I really just want to talk about the injuries.  The even started and ended with two.

My wife likes Boogs and I was hoping for a good match between the Usos, and Nakamura and Boogs.  Rick is a pretty cool guy and I also enjoy his YouTube channel.  It's about body building but it's also a bit goofy.  Anyway, when his leg buckled, I didn't notice it first as it seeming that bad, but when I rewatched it after hearing what happened, man that was a nasty injury.

And then there was Roman Reigns.  He seems to be ok, and probably just dislocated his shoulder.  At first I thought he might have broken his arm because there was a big, red spot on his bicep and it looked like a knot.  But, after the match when he grabbed the rope and pulled his arm back into joint, oof.  That was intense.  I honestly felt that match ended a bit early.  It wasn't a super-short match by any stretch, but being one they've hyped up for months and calling it the "biggest match in Wrestlemania history", I sure assumed it would have went on a bit longer.  I think they had to end it quick.

Anyway, this is the first Wrestlemania I've watched since getting back into wrestling after 25 years.  I appreciated seeing Pat kick Austin Theory's tail.  I can't stand that guy and that was just the type of exhibition "candy" I can appreciate.

Other than that, everything was just ok.  I don't watch Raw since I don't have cable but I was glad to see Belaire get the title back from Lynch.  Everything else was just mildly of interest to me.

6 hours ago, DarkTone said:

I dont buy Cody as more than a mid carder. 

Yeah, that felt more like a slap in the face to AEW than anything else.  There had been scuttle online that he was switching, so you knew that when he would show up WWE would make it a big deal.

5 hours ago, RH said:

Yeah, that felt more like a slap in the face to AEW than anything else.  There had been scuttle online that he was switching, so you knew that when he would show up WWE would make it a big deal.

The WWE apparently wanted Cody to keep the American Nightmare character and theme music exactly as it was in AEW for the specific purpose of making it look like the main guy that got AEW going wanted to jump ship from the company he helped start.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow... glad to be back.... 

So much going on. Some really dumb shit.... but some really awesome stuff too. 

On 7/8/2022 at 8:43 PM, RH said:

I’ve been watching WWE for only about a year and after that Money In The Bank, I was about ready to quit.  There are heels people love to hate and heels that people simply hate.

There is NOTHING enjoyable about Theory.

Booo!

Haha, I thought that was stupid too. Just have the guy IN the match from jump if you're going to do that. Once they announced him for the match, it was pretty obvious he would win, I was still wondering if they would double serve us, but nope.... all Theory. 

I enjoy hating his stupid goatee and moustache. Once I realized I hated the way he looked because of his stupid goatee I respected him a bit more. 

Okay, here goes....

Imagine being WWE and letting people like Samoa Joe, Wyatt, Claudio, Keith Lee, plus SO MANY OTHERS, go.... then pushing a feud between Madcap Moss and Corbin. Fucking hell. It was so bad, they had their blowoff match on Smackdown. Moss can't cut a promo to save his life, and he's barely any better in the ring. 

Also imagine this... Breaking up and firing your legitimate Women's tag teams like Riott Squad and IIconics..... then having to put random tag teams together so you can have a 4-way Wrestlemania match.... only to break up most of those teams, have the champions quit, and now what.... the women's tag division is fucked. 

There are only a few reasons why I still watch WWE..... Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn, AJ Styles, Rollins.... Probably a few others.

So WWE is trying to get away from the "indie" wrestlers and make their own stars. 

Okay.... well, that works 1/10,000 times. Most of the college athletes won't be able to take the grind and the one's that can might be good wrestlers, but they will likely be real shitty on the mic to start. Even Bianca Belair is barely getting there on the mic. 

Most indie wrestlers are so much better by the time they get to WWE it's insane. 

We are about to see (when the above guys mentioned leave) a major drop in wrestling quality from WWE. 

I mean... it's already there, by design.... but soon they won't even have talent to hold those basic matches together. 

It's even more confusing when you look at the greatest surprises in WWE history is debuts of wrestlers from other "places". 

Chris Jericho, Taz, The Radicalz, AJ Styles to name a few. 

That's one of the coolest things about wrestling. Has always been so. So for WWE to change all these guy's names and fire them (Theory, Riddle, etc.) is just stupid and they are just diluting their own product. 

Hmmmm.... what else? 

AEW is neat... some dumb things as well.... I mean, it's pro wrestling. 

The fact that they have stated from the beginning that the "rankings matter" has been really stupid. Especially considering they've had multiple battle royal/various #1 contender matches to get a #1 contender....

Ummmm.... should the #1 ranked person be the #1 contender??? Bryan Daniels/Punk both got title shots pretty quickly so it's obvious that rankings don't actually mean shit.

It's just, the fans aren't dumb and it's a little insulting that AEW keeps shoving the rankings/wins/losses down our throat when they STILL don't mean anything because *checks notes* THIS IS PRO WRESTLING and they just write whatever the hell they want. 

Edited by AirVillain
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

Wow... glad to be back.... 

So much going on. Some really dumb shit.... but some really awesome stuff too. 

Haha, I thought that was stupid too. Just have the guy IN the match from jump if you're going to do that. Once they announced him for the match, it was pretty obvious he would win, I was still wondering if they would double serve us, but nope.... all Theory. 

I enjoy hating his stupid goatee and moustache. Once I realized I hated the way he looked because of his stupid goatee I respected him a bit more. 

Okay, here goes....

Imagine being WWE and letting people like Samoa Joe, Wyatt, Claudio, Keith Lee, plus SO MANY OTHERS, go.... then pushing a feud between Madcap Moss and Corbin. Fucking hell. It was so bad, they had their blowoff match on Smackdown. Moss can't cut a promo to save his life, and he's barely any better in the ring. 

Also imagine this... Breaking up and firing your legitimate Women's tag teams like Riott Squad and IIconics..... then having to put random tag teams together so you can have a 4-way Wrestlemania match.... only to break up most of those teams, have the champions quit, and now what.... the women's tag division is fucked. 

There are only a few reasons why I still watch WWE..... Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn, AJ Styles, Rollins.... Probably a few others.

So WWE is trying to get away from the "indie" wrestlers and make their own stars. 

Okay.... well, that works 1/10,000 times. Most of the college athletes won't be able to take the grind and the one's that can might be good wrestlers, but they will likely be real shitty on the mic to start. Even Bianca Belair is barely getting there on the mic. 

Most indie wrestlers are so much better by the time they get to WWE it's insane. 

We are about to see (when the above guys mentioned leave) a major drop in wrestling quality from WWE. 

I mean... it's already there, by design.... but soon they won't even have talent to hold those basic matches together. 

It's even more confusing when you look at the greatest surprises in WWE history is debuts of wrestlers from other "places". 

Chris Jericho, Taz, The Radicalz, AJ Styles to name a few. 

That's one of the coolest things about wrestling. Has always been so. So for WWE to change all these guy's names and fire them (Theory, Riddle, etc.) is just stupid and they are just diluting their own product. 

Hmmmm.... what else? 

AEW is neat... some dumb things as well.... I mean, it's pro wrestling. 

The fact that they have stated from the beginning that the "rankings matter" has been really stupid. Especially considering they've had multiple battle royal/various #1 contender matches to get a #1 contender....

Ummmm.... should the #1 ranked person be the #1 contender??? Bryan Daniels/Punk both got title shots pretty quickly so it's obvious that rankings don't actually mean shit.

It's just, the fans aren't dumb and it's a little insulting that AEW keeps shoving the rankings/wins/losses down our throat when they STILL don't mean anything because *checks notes* THIS IS PRO WRESTLING and they just write whatever the hell they want. 

AEW says rankings matter, yet the #1 contender is the only constant in this picture despite three different champions. It makes no sense.

FYJioZMXEAI8IRq?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

AEW says rankings matter, yet the #1 contender is the only constant in this picture despite three different champions. It makes no sense.

FYJioZMXEAI8IRq?format=jpg&name=large

Haha, yup... FTR #1 contenders forever, and they've had one title shot in there? A triple threat? 

FTR is champion in 3 different companies, call themselves the best ever, and they still don't get title shots on AEW. Haha.... but.... I think that's all going to work into the payoff for FTR. 

They'll probably drop the ROH titles to Dem Boys and then go for the AEW... Unless Tony Kahn is REALLY going to give it all to FTR and have them hold onto the ROH titles and then challenge for the AEW Titles.... (as they ARE #1 contenders 😛 )

I would much prefer the latter. Haha, they'll have 4 sets of titles. That's awesome. 

9 hours ago, AirVillain said:

Haha, yup... FTR #1 contenders forever, and they've had one title shot in there? A triple threat? 

FTR is champion in 3 different companies, call themselves the best ever, and they still don't get title shots on AEW. Haha.... but.... I think that's all going to work into the payoff for FTR. 

They'll probably drop the ROH titles to Dem Boys and then go for the AEW... Unless Tony Kahn is REALLY going to give it all to FTR and have them hold onto the ROH titles and then challenge for the AEW Titles.... (as they ARE #1 contenders 😛 )

I would much prefer the latter. Haha, they'll have 4 sets of titles. That's awesome. 

I imagine FTR will win the AEW titles soon. I had heard that the original plan was for the Hardys to win the titles in the ladder match and then drop them to FTR, but they had to change the plans around when Jeff got in trouble.