IGNORED

Pro Wrestling thread

CodysGameRoom

On 2/28/2020 at 1:07 PM, mbd39 said:

Yeah. Kids everywhere were saying "suck it" much to the chagrin of parents and teachers. It was a good catchphrase.

Oh you think that's something back in the day my old prude bus driver (well she was one on this day at least) actually turned off the radio after she heard this song say a certain word one too many times! 😄 

Not to mention my 5th grade teacher often talked about one of his friends who liked to call Beaver Dam, KY "Beaver Cuss" 😄 

On 11/19/2021 at 6:16 AM, LeatherRebel5150 said:

They gotta be getting ready for a sale or something right? Companies don’t just dump such a huge swath of talent like that so consistently without some radical change coming down the road

There's been 80 just this year, not counting the releases last year where in total it's been over 100!. It's been It's the only conclusion that make sense, especially as they keep citing "Budget Cuts". Otherwise there is absolutely no rhyme or reason to it. I really foresee them announcing Disney or (much more likely) NBC announcing a buyout any time now lol

On 11/19/2021 at 6:34 AM, Bearcat-Doug said:

They released Kross and Hit Row just weeks after moving them to the main roster and Lee had just come back. I think they were still doing those backstage segments with John Morrison up until last week so it does seem odd to release people that were actively being used on TV. 

Yup. Very much the right hand not having any idea what the left is doing. Aleister Black had a bunch of promo packages promoting his return, came back just to kick Big E in the face, then was released like later that week lol.

In related news, Survivor Series was... something. For a PPV with next to no build and less then zero stakes, it actually wasn't a terrible show. Decent to Good wrestling. But absolutely none of it is the story coming out of it;

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2021/11/vince-mcmahon-loses-cleopatras-golden-egg-at-wwe-survivor-series/ (relevant YT clips to follow)

Spoiler

Oh and the Rock never showed up. Which is absolutely hilarious for a show not only built entirely around the 25th anniversary of his debut; not only promoting the shit out of one of his movies (which means Peacock was actively promoting a Netflix show all night lol); not only being the only thing consistently built to & teased for weeks (including an entire Battle Royal sponsored by Pizza Hut lol); but for this reason right here:

Cracking Up Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

2 hours ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

In related news, Survivor Series was... something. For a PPV with next to no build and less then zero stakes, it actually wasn't a terrible show. Decent to Good wrestling. But absolutely none of it is the story coming out of it;

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2021/11/vince-mcmahon-loses-cleopatras-golden-egg-at-wwe-survivor-series/ (relevant YT clips to follow)

Hide contents

Oh and the Rock never showed up. Which is absolutely hilarious for a show not only built entirely around the 25th anniversary of his debut; not only promoting the shit out of one of his movies (which means Peacock was actively promoting a Netflix show all night lol); not only being the only thing consistently built to & teased for weeks (including an entire Battle Royal sponsored by Pizza Hut lol); but for this reason right here:

The obvious answer is that Nick Khan gave the egg its release during the show.

spacer.png

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, DarkTone said:

Triple h stole it as revenge. 

The actual payoff was beyond stupid. Austin Theory stole the egg so he could take a selfie with it in his hotel room. Sami Zayn told Vince which resulted in him calling Sami a snitch and rewarding Theory with a title shot for no apparent reason. The writing team has to have more wellness policy violations than Randy Orton to come up with something that ridiculous.

• Agree 1

Pretty solid open tonight to AEW Dynamite (and they didn't waste any time putting it up on YT lol)

Also, a person after my own heart lolimage.png.cdcc6c7d583bbd9b4a404bde5e96fb89.png

On 11/23/2021 at 5:39 PM, Bearcat-Doug said:

The actual payoff was beyond stupid. Austin Theory stole the egg so he could take a selfie with it in his hotel room. Sami Zayn told Vince which resulted in him calling Sami a snitch and rewarding Theory with a title shot for no apparent reason. The writing team has to have more wellness policy violations than Randy Orton to come up with something that ridiculous.

It really was. I'd have been willing to forgive it if, again, it had some stakes or something relevant to come out of it. Especially after it was forced into an entire PPV and then didn't get any sort of actually decent build or pay-off. Good for Theory i guess? Many and Much more better ways to build a new star. Vince really just needs to retire. I don't care who it is, anyone would be infinitely better at this point.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

Pretty solid open tonight to AEW Dynamite (and they didn't waste any time putting it up on YT lol)

Also, a person after my own heart lolimage.png.cdcc6c7d583bbd9b4a404bde5e96fb89.png

It really was. I'd have been willing to forgive it if, again, it had some stakes or something relevant to come out of it. Especially after it was forced into an entire PPV and then didn't get any sort of actually decent build or pay-off. Good for Theory i guess? Many and Much more better ways to build a new star. Vince really just needs to retire. I don't care who it is, anyone would be infinitely better at this point.

After all that nonsense, I'm pretty sure that Theory lost rather quickly. They could have at least went back to the 1994 Bret Hart/123 Kid match or John Cena's debut match against Kurt Angle to see how to make the rookie look strong without getting the win. Even with a 3 hour show everything still feels rushed for some reason.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

34 minutes ago, RH said:

I don't have cable so I can only watch recaps, but did anyone see the videos of Seth Rollins being attacked by a fan as he was leaving thr arena?

It was rather uneventful. Rollins took the guy down with a chokehold and held him in it until security took him away. The guy sounds nuts. He was claiming that he did it because someone claiming to be Seth Rollins was contacting him online demanding that the guy send him gift cards to prove that he was a loyal fan and that he would return the money. Apparently the guy got a check in the mail that bounced, so he decided that he was going to beat up the real Seth Rollins for stealing his money. 

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

It was rather uneventful. Rollins took the guy down with a chokehold and held him in it until security took him away. The guy sounds nuts. He was claiming that he did it because someone claiming to be Seth Rollins was contacting him online demanding that the guy send him gift cards to prove that he was a loyal fan and that he would return the money. Apparently the guy got a check in the mail that bounced, so he decided that he was going to beat up the real Seth Rollins for stealing his money. 

Oh, dang! If that turns out to be legit (and that guy hasn't been using heavy drugs), I feel bad for the guy. Simple minded people are easy to extort. Someone who would want to prove they were a fan by sending someone "temporary" funds had to be simple minded.

Still, he clocked Seth Rollins and that's not right for any reason. Did any of that air on TV? I only saw two clips from fans.

2 minutes ago, RH said:

Oh, dang! If that turns out to be legit (and that guy hasn't been using heavy drugs), I feel bad for the guy. Simple minded people are easy to extort. Someone who would want to prove they were a fan by sending someone "temporary" funds had to be simple minded.

Still, he clocked Seth Rollins and that's not right for any reason. Did any of that air on TV? I only saw two clips from fans.

They showed it on TV right when the guy jumped him, but they cut back to Finn Balor in the ring right away.

• 3 weeks later...

AEW Full Gear was great. Their "Winter is Coming" TV special is next week, Tony Khan has said that he wants this month of Dynamite to be great, since starting next year Dynamite is moving to TBS (Rampage will still be on TNT)

Last year is when Kenny Omega won the AEW World Title, this year is Adam Page vs Bryan Danielson (still crazy he left WWE) for the AEW World Title. I'm looking forward to it.

• 1 month later...

Holy crap WWE

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2022/01/wwe-receiving-criticism-for-apparent-walter-name-change/

https://www.sportskeeda.com/wwe/news-walter-reveals-new-controversial-name-nxt-2-0

https://wrestlingheadlines.com/keith-lee-and-lance-storm-react-to-apparent-wwe-name-change-for-walter/

TL:DR

Spoiler

WALTER announced his new name as "Gunther" on NXT tonight. WWE apparently trademarked the name "Gunther Stark" which is a name that has some very unfortunate ties to Nazis. Apparently Vince no one in creative knows how to google something first to see if it can pass scrutiny lol

This after Vince & co. essentially dismissed all of Triple H's team from NXT and have been stripping down the roster fairly regularly.

Just, holy cow

On 1/19/2022 at 2:51 AM, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

Holy crap WWE

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2022/01/wwe-receiving-criticism-for-apparent-walter-name-change/

https://www.sportskeeda.com/wwe/news-walter-reveals-new-controversial-name-nxt-2-0

https://wrestlingheadlines.com/keith-lee-and-lance-storm-react-to-apparent-wwe-name-change-for-walter/

TL:DR

Hide contents

WALTER announced his new name as "Gunther" on NXT tonight. WWE apparently trademarked the name "Gunther Stark" which is a name that has some very unfortunate ties to Nazis. Apparently Vince no one in creative knows how to google something first to see if it can pass scrutiny lol

This after Vince & co. essentially dismissed all of Triple H's team from NXT and have been stripping down the roster fairly regularly.

Just, holy cow

Bad PR from a stupid mistake, or a bold move to rebrand him as a really, really bad guy? Only time will tell though I'm sure it's the former.

31 minutes ago, NostalgicMachine said:

Took me over a year to acclimate to it, I totally understand. His Monday Night Wars videos are exceptional.

I think I heard him say or acknowledge it anyway.  Its not only the accent but it sounds like his nose is stuffy or something.  Hate to be critical, but to me, voice consonance is important in those videos especially when its all voice over.