IGNORED

Pro Wrestling thread

CodysGameRoom

On 9/3/2023 at 1:09 PM, guitarzombie said:

Im sure he's more than happy to take the idiots money and sit home.  Or maybe, this will give him some second wind to 'stick it' to them in the WWF.  That would be something.  I mean look how Cody turned out.  This could pull even bigger numbers and eventually crush AEW, for finally force Tonys had to get rid of SO MUCH garbage on his roster.  Its like 2006 TNA all over again, he has the ability to have such great stuff with some great people there, yet still decides to cater to the IWC audience.  Its so backwards.  But then again, if you gave a 15 yr old a lot of money to play Vince McMahon, you'd have the same kind of show.

I agree with most of what you're saying there... 

It wouldn't be insane to think Punk could show up in WWE. He did the Backstage deal before signing to wrestle with AEW, seemingly amicable with HHH on a drop in on Raw in Chicago (While Punk was injured?), and WWE historically will "bring back" talent they have beefed with.

It was Vince's deal. If "its good for business" he'll bring them back. Warrior, Bret, etc. 

Could happen and I'm sure WWE would love to stick it to AEW. I mean... they'd have eto keep their reigns on Punk, but I'm sure they could. Based on the limited time WWE would have to capitalize on Punk I figure they would wabt to get a couple matches out of him and could if they wanted. 

Would melt the internet.

I agree with you about the talent of the AEW roster and just catering to balls-out craziest matches possible spot fest hungry "internet" style as it were. 

Yeah... there needs to be some sore of logical cohesion. AEW doesn't seem to have that. 

On 9/3/2023 at 1:13 PM, Bearcat-Doug said:

Yeah, it's like Tony is playing GM mode in a WWE 2K game with real money. The roster is so big that guys like Miro, Keith Lee and Wardlow just disappear for months at a time. 

Agreed. The fuck is Keith Lee?

I think its' safe to say that the grass is not always greener on the other side in AEW. Especially for someone like Keith Lee. Sure when Vince was in charge he was fucking it all up in the end and was messing up Keith Lee (Bearcat?).... but... if Keith Lee had a chance with HHH in charge it'd be a different story. 

So... just kinda depends. TK doesn't seem to be able to use people to their potential or elevate them for any sustained amount of time (Yes, MJF did it himself with the "mark" fans catering to them and Britt was good... was?). But Darby/Sammy/Jack jsut have one off feuds and that's it with people.

He added two shows. So there's 3 two hour shows and they kind of have different talent, but not really.... and STIll there's not enough "time" to have coherent and long term storytelling involving someone like Keith Lee or Miro???? That's stupid.

PUT THEM AGAINST EACHOTHER AND GIVE THEM 3 MONTHS, FUCK. It writes itself. The two of them are smart enough to come up with stuff along with whatever producer.... Jesus. 

Each AEW show is just a clusterfuck of "what's the craziest match we can think of"?  Fucking Moxly rolls around in thumbtacks... end of the match... "Let's settle this NEXT WEEK in the parking lot!!!". Like fuck.... thumb tacks was good, man. Or just leave the thumbtacks for another time.... 

Never mind this weird back to back Pay Per View deal. 

They left the build for the biggest PPV ever until weeks before and now there's ANOTHER PPV yesterday... I don't even know what happened. Other than Punk got fired on Saturday. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by AirVillain
grammar

TK should cut is roster in half.  That would fix a lot of stuff.   His womens division is a disaster, but theres no way to fix that now.  Its a majority of poorly trained or too green girls, with some really good talents.  I mean FFS, any time Skye Blue has a match, she trends on Twitter, and its 99% pictures of her ass.  That isn't being over, and some of their roster is like that.  Gorgeous but can't work.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2023 at 4:17 PM, Bearcat-Doug said:

7y06ly.jpg

Haha... yeah, it was difficult to watch. 

But, we can see now that TK hasn't done much better, in a different way. 

HHH seems to be the "best of both worlds" when it comes to booking. Good handle on the "characters" and also allowing more wrestling. I mean... it's BEEN happening on NXT. Like....The Golden Era of NXT, or whatever it's called as the "era" probably has a "name". KO/Sami/Pac/Adam Cole/Shinsuke/Finn/Lee/Dijak.... there was a stretch there where the Take Over PPV's were CRUSHING anything Vince/TK was doing. 

I hate to say that because of my deep love for Bret Hart.... but.... HHH seems to be able to do it the best right now.

On 9/4/2023 at 11:46 PM, guitarzombie said:

TK should cut is roster in half.  That would fix a lot of stuff.   His womens division is a disaster, but theres no way to fix that now.  Its a majority of poorly trained or too green girls, with some really good talents.  I mean FFS, any time Skye Blue has a match, she trends on Twitter, and its 99% pictures of her ass.  That isn't being over, and some of their roster is like that.  Gorgeous but can't work.

Yeah... can't disagree with that at all. (cutting the roster... simply because there's SO MANY people that don't get airtime and can't get a program. 

Even with 3 shows. It's fucking insane. The amount of storylines that TK has absolutely BURNED through is wild. 

The build for MOST of the matches for All In were a few weeks, at best. SOme were announced the week OF the PPV. I only really watch Dynamite, I must admit.

But I don't get Rampage or Collision here in Canada. That being said, I had NO IDEA that Punk was fighting Joe at All In. No clue. Like... you shouldn't ONLY promote matches on certain shows, that's fucking wild. Not that they have to worry about that anymore. 

What in the fuck happened with CM Punk is wild too. It would be so amazing if TK could pull this off as a work. Fucking INCREDIBLE. But doesn't seem that way.

Like... did Punk REALLY go that ballistic backstage for Perry shouting something dumb about glass? Like... really? It just seems so stupid of Punk, but... I think TK has let that happen too. When the guy absolutely legitimately BURIES your "top guys"/staff, and "go into business for yourself", right beside you in a "press conference" and you don't do shit... then you bring the guy back and give him his own show and don't let certain talent attend those shows.... that's a recipe for disaster. 

Yes... seemingly accurate with the women's division. There's lots of great workers, but some of them probably just don't have lots of experience. Which is the #1 thing that makes you "good" in wrestling, haha. Reps. 

There's COUNTLESS wrestlers that were wrestling for 10+ years before stepping foot into WWF/WCW/AEW now. Mick Foley, Stone Cold, Eddie... 

Anybody watching that new Netflix series "wrestlers"? I watched the first episode on OVW last night, it was pretty good. Made me feel kinda bad for Al Snow seeing him in the limelight of the business, and then later in his career running an independent promotion on an extremely thin budget. Looks like a cool series so far, anyway

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Quaze said:

Anybody watching that new Netflix series "wrestlers"? I watched the first episode on OVW last night, it was pretty good. Made me feel kinda bad for Al Snow seeing him in the limelight of the business, and then later in his career running an independent promotion on an extremely thin budget. Looks like a cool series so far, anyway

Yeah, watched the first EP as well.

I get what you're saying, but I look at it from a different perspective. Working for WWE (AEW/NJPW) is kinda like playing in "The Majors" or in the NBA.... not a lot of people get to do it at all, never mind for as long as Al Snow did. Especially given the training on Tough Enough, etc. that he did there. 

So.... Al is not at OVW because he HAS to be... he's actually there because he's trying to save it. 

9 hours ago, DarkTone said:

Lots of lay offs...

I initially wasn't going to respond to this because I didn't recognize your avatar 🙈

Haha, sorry... But yeah... Crazy....

I didn't really look into any lists to confirm, but dang.... unfortunate. 

The "problem" is that AEW is absolutely jammed right now and they can't figure out what to do with the roster they have. 

Edited by AirVillain

There are simply waaaaayyy too many wrestlers that shouldn't be where they are just yet.  They still need more training and years under their belt.  For some reason, both companies have this thing where they need like a roster of 100 people, and they still use the same 10, so why bother? 

For the names released, none surprised me, and most were a bunch of 'Who?'s. 

Thats one thing that kept the territories 'fresh', is once a wrestler got stale, they could be moved out and someone fresh in their place.  So they shouldn't bother calling up people.  Concentrate on the few you have, get them actually over, then once they get stale which a majority of WWEs roster is, put a new guy in there and phase the other one out.  Then when they come back they'll be appreciated.  These guys now have been with the company for like 10/15 years.  Jesus, back in the day 5 years was considered a LONG run unless you were a TOP guy like Hogan/Macho.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Edge/Adam Copeland in AEW.

Incredible promo with him and Christian.

Would be cool to see that come full circle. 

At first I thought ti was neat... but I'm afraid Tony Khan will just fuck it up like he's doing the Hardy's (random matches here and there and crazy no DQ matches sprinkled in for no reason) but there's still time. 

Hopefully they'll get it figured out. 

The initial stuff with Christian has been great. 

I know it's old news at this point, but I'm going to pour one out for my boy, Rick Boogs.  It's been a while since I've been able to see him on WWE and I have no clue how you old timers saw him, but he's 90% of the reason my wife got sucked into wrestling for about 6 months (and then walked away when he was injured) and we both enjoyed the schtick.

• 1 month later...

Jumping in on this thread because I started watching WWE again a little over a month ago, watching a ton of old stuff on Peacock, and following the current stuff as well. I was a HUGE fan from around 96 to 04 then started losing interest and stopped watching until I started watching again from around 2011 to 2013 but ultimately lost interest again. But I am absolutely loving watching the old stuff again. The new stuff...I really have no idea who I like, the roster seems weak and forgettable compared to when I used to watch. And all the different championships are extremely confusing. It seems completely unnecessary. But the actual matches are still pretty fun to watch.

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, DarkTone said:

Royal rumble predictions?

CM Punk and Bayley

Punk said his goal was to main event wrestle mania, so the easiest way to do that is winning the Rumble.  There is already the setup for a hot fued with Rollins.  That is assuming Rollins is still champion after facing Mcintyre.

Cody will come close, but he will find another path to face Roman and finish his story.  Either by winning Elimination Chamber or winning Priest's briefcase.

Bayley has been around too long and is too good to not get a rumble win at some point.  She is giving off more face vibes despite being the leader of a heel faction.  Think her girl gang is going to kick her out, leading to her winning the rumble and challenging Sky for the belt.

I'm not sure where that leaves Ripley, she has pretty much just been doing stuff with the men as the leader of Judgement Day.  None of the women on RAW really feels on her level.  Lynch has been doing everything but go after Ripley's title, that would be a big Mania match too.

Edited by fox

I don't watch current wrestling but I did watch Beyond the Mat (1999) this week, and that was a must watch documentary.  I've also watched all of the WWE Rivals / WWE Documentaries that have come on cable the past couple years (forget the channel.)  Those are really great to get some behind the scenes insight into wrestling.

Oddly enough, HBK was my favorite wrestler all-time as a kid (Hogan close 2nd), but as an adult I've realized what shitty people they are.  I hated Bret Hart so much and while he's definitely extremely bitter about most things, he seems to be a solid human being.  HBK turned it around mid career but Hogan had so many jobs he refused to do and ideas he shot down that its sad.  

Edited by jonebone
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, DarkTone said:

So..... the rock is back. 

I saw this because my wife thought Roman Reigns left WWE so when I searched it, I heard about this.

we’ve not followed much about wrestling  for a while but this has us both interested and we’re likely to get Peacock for a month just to watch Wrestlemania.

With that said, now that the dust has settled a bit since McMahon has left, what are you guys opinions now on the WWE now that 3H is fully running the show.  I was mad that he fired Boogs, but from the little bits I’ve gathered hear and there, it sounds like it might be a better show?

• 2 weeks later...