IGNORED

Pro Wrestling thread

CodysGameRoom

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

NO SYMPY.

My friend invited me over to watch All Out tomorrow and bribed me with pizza.  Mainly because of the supposed Daniel Bryan return.  I really really don't care for AEW but free pizza is ok for me.  I'll just hang my head in shame for a majority of the show.

I basically hang my head in shame any time I turn Monday Night Raw on anymore.

IMO they're both awful, but I feel that AEW is holding themselves back.  Get rid of the EVPs, and get an actual booker that has experience and understands psychology.  Hell you got Jake, Arn, Tully, get Kevin Sullivan.  Those guys understand what works.  If you took both positives from both companies you'd have something unstoppable.  

4 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

IMO they're both awful, but I feel that AEW is holding themselves back.  Get rid of the EVPs, and get an actual booker that has experience and understands psychology.  Hell you got Jake, Arn, Tully, get Kevin Sullivan.  Those guys understand what works.  If you took both positives from both companies you'd have something unstoppable.  

With the roster AEW has (and may potentially add to), improving the match quality would make the product very watchable.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

3 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

With the roster AEW has (and may potentially add to), improving the match quality would make the product very watchable.

The roster is really odd because its very strong, and also very weak.  I really wish they stop catering to the smark 30 demo that grew up with 2000 Raw and try to cater to casual fans with good storylines with nothing that appears cringy or embarrassing.  Both my sister and band member told me they saw it and thought it was too goofy.  That to me is a problem.   With who's coming in the future, I feel somewhat optimistic that they'll put out only good stuff and leave that other crap behind.  They need a way stronger womens roster too.

3 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

The roster is really odd because its very strong, and also very weak.  I really wish they stop catering to the smark 30 demo that grew up with 2000 Raw and try to cater to casual fans with good storylines with nothing that appears cringy or embarrassing.  Both my sister and band member told me they saw it and thought it was too goofy.  That to me is a problem.   With who's coming in the future, I feel somewhat optimistic that they'll put out only good stuff and leave that other crap behind.  They need a way stronger womens roster too.

Hopefully having some of these successful older veterans around will help settle things down and give them a more consistent overall direction.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, B.A. said:

You guys see that stuff with Daffney? I always thought she was awesome had had unique look and character. What a shame, the bits that I saw of that Instagram video she did were hard to watch. 

I saw the video when it started making the rounds and I can't say I was surprised with the news the next day. It's unfortunate that no one could get to her in time.

10 hours ago, B.A. said:

You guys see that stuff with Daffney? I always thought she was awesome had had unique look and character. What a shame, the bits that I saw of that Instagram video she did were hard to watch. 

It was really uncomfortable.  I thought she was pretty gorgeous too.

Saw the PPV.  Some thoughts:

9 dives in the whole night.  EVERY fucking match except Shows squash had a fucking back and forth punch/chop thing.  Too many standing 10 count punches, punches and kicks in total.  Its WRESTLING, not MMA.  Refs don't count when wrestlers are outside the ring or even in the corner, unless its part of the drama of them getting into the ring and are completely emasculated.  CM Punks match was excellent.  Even though its dumb to have a face v face thing, there were shades of 123 kid vs Bret.  Didn't like them booing Darby as he's actually one of your few home grown stars.  Big Shows match was refreshing, all be it pointless.  Kris Statlander's wrestling license should be revoked.  Tag match was the worst wrestling match i've ever seen, basically killing the Lucha Bros, making them seem weak.  I can't even get into all the reasons why.  Also they killed the crowds energy for the rest of the show.   My god Kenny Omega is overrated.  At least they kept the tables till the end, but didn't build to it and went to it within 3 minutes.  No DQ or count out?  Christian tried to break the count outside while the ref wasn't even counting.  He was at least trying.  Also moments of that match were dead silent unless someone did a big high spot, like the finish.  MJF match was excellent and had a nice finish.  But the ending was certainly excellently booked.  Fans also don't know what they want.  When wrestler X debuts, he gets a big pop.  When he turns heel, they cheer?!  Why are they cheering Kenny when he's a heel?!  They need more SOLID heels/faces.  If people are cheering you, heel tactics or not, you're a face.  Book yourself not to be cheered.  Hope to see them continue with the good stuff, and get rid of the bad.  Which basically is pandering the wrestling in ring to the fans.

I will admit that I have watched exactly zero seconds of Adam Cole perform.  I kind of sort of read about what's going on in rasslin' these days ,but none of it catches my interest. Seriously though, when I would see NXT photos, Rhea Ripley is more ripped than Adam Cole, and a slogan of "BAY BAY", f'n barf!  

I guess it's just not for me any more. 

Back in 98 WCW Nitro came to Columbia, SC and I went with a couple of buddies. While there, I had one goal and that was to get on TV. We were on the second level so I knew I needed a solid gimmick for it to work.

Anyway, I decided that since there were occasional Japanese wrestlers, I'd make a Japanese poster and hope that would get the attention of the camera men. It was a dumb idea but you know what, it worked! I recently found out that Peacock had these old episodes, so I hunted down the episode I was in, I found my moment and I took this picture.

Also, I didn't have a lot of actual Japanese text near me when I made the poster, much less a dictionary, so I had to find some.random text. I am sure someone here will be able to read this, you will likely know where I found the text (again, this was 1998) and you can vouch for just how dumb this idea was. Still, I have no regrets.

PXL_20210909_010117593.jpg.4b4c1f1a1df13ff7c9d9bbcf32fc936e.jpg

Oh, and yes, my friend on the left side (my right) did, in fact, show up to a WCW event wearing a Steve Austin shirt. Classic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Please do not peel off?  I feel like I'm missing something.

Either way, smart move, and nice find.

I wish the WWF app/site would post all the old broadcasts from the 80s and 90s.  Kind of stupid given they're still much of their most popular works.  There is this one dude though, got to give him credit, 'wrestling with paul' on youtube who is doing just that with old tape copies from the 80s into the 90s, 2-3hr blocks of stuff from every month of every year from the looks of it.

32 minutes ago, fox said:

WWE network was sold to Peacock so a lot of the old WWF/WCW broadcasts are on there

I’ve been marathoning thru the Raw’s from 98’

I have a problem with the Peacock app where if i try to scroll to far down into the Raw episodes the app crashes. Like it cant handle loading the info for that many episodes. Does anyone else have that problem or it might just be my tv

• 3 weeks later...

So I haven't stepped in here for awhile, but that caught my eye.

Peacock or WWE network, whatever it is now, they run old like 1980-2000 era old TV broadcasts on streaming?  Or is it just the event stuff (royal rumble, summer slam, wrestlemania, etc?)

I never had any luck using the WWE site the last I bothered a year or two ago, they had virtually nothing of the vintage so I bailed, went back to this amazing guys youtube channel instead called Wrestling with Paul.  He's been feeding old local VHS tape recordings, a few hours of them, into files up there by the month, year format and has been at it for a good while too.  He just avoids the old paid events to stay under the radar.

Ah I know of that Wrestling with Paul fella.  Good idea he had.

EDIT:

Actually the network had a ton of vintage stuff.  When they moved to peacock at first they didn't.  Now they have everything the network had, its just a LOT shittier to use to find stuff.  When Bobby Eaton passed, I wanted to watch a bunch of his matches so I typed in his name and couldn't find anything.  The fuck?  You could do that on the old network.  I went to youtube instead.

Edited by guitarzombie

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

Makes it suck even more he got released. Guy had been through a lot this past year.

Speaking of releases, more cuts just got announced. These are all the talent release just this month

They gotta be getting ready for a sale or something right? Companies don’t just dump such a huge swath of talent like that so consistently without some radical change coming down the road

6 hours ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

Makes it suck even more he got released. Guy had been through a lot this past year.

Speaking of releases, more cuts just got announced. These are all the talent release just this month

They released Kross and Hit Row just weeks after moving them to the main roster and Lee had just come back. I think they were still doing those backstage segments with John Morrison up until last week so it does seem odd to release people that were actively being used on TV.