IGNORED

Pro Wrestling thread

CodysGameRoom

8 hours ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

Full Gear was great. Best Pro Wrestling PPV of the year. So many great matches. Even the wacky & comedy matches were really good. Tag Team Title match easily one of the best matches of the year, a testament to AEW's tag division.

Worth a watch if you haven't yet

I guess I forgot to post about it. I thought it was really good as well. The Page/Omega match was a great opener. The opening match sets the tone for the entire show. I wish more companies would make a note of that. 

• Like 1

I gotta watch this later fully, but is he advocating for wrestlers to not blade anymore because of the risks involved?  When right now the wrestlers are more aggressively tested on their health than ever before?  Yet they're getting injured more and more from careless/frequent dives/dangerous moves but thats ok?

I had to turn it off after 5 minutes.  I really didn't like the obnoxious smarky tinge on how juvenile and barbaric blading is.  The 2000 era of WWE RUINED wrestling for 'sports entertainment'.  Which is fine, just don't call it wrestling.  You can have your wrestlers who you want to play video games with and have pop culture spots/promos etc, but there are others that liked how it used to be where it was treated as more like a sport with some elements of drama pulled in.  That to me, is wrestling.  The sport and psychology of it, not the visual stimulation you'd get from ballet with the big spots, or needing every show to have multiple gimmick matches.  My two cents obviously.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

McIntyre beat Orton tonight on RAW to regain the WWE World Title

Why put it on Orton in the first place? They going to hotshot it back to him after Survivor Series? They seem to still kinda want that Orton vs Edge III WM match after all

The only thing that I can think of is that they are setting Orton up to break Flair's record before his contract is up.

19 hours ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

McIntyre beat Orton tonight on RAW to regain the WWE World Title

Why put it on Orton in the first place? They going to hotshot it back to him after Survivor Series? They seem to still kinda want that Orton vs Edge III WM match after all

Good match, surprised they put it on free tv, but I guess Survivor Series kind of forced their hand since Drew vs Roman is just a more interesting matchup.  Orton is like the top heel on RAW, so you can't have him always lose.

Randy still has unresolved bizness with The Fiend and Edge, those matches have a lot of heat already, likely will do them with or without the title.

• 2 weeks later...

AEW might be out WWE'ing WWE
https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2020/12/don-callis-677576/

TL;DR

Spoiler

Don Callis helped screw Moxley out of the AEW World Title to crown Omega, then as he hightailed it out with Omega in tow, said to watch Impact next week. It's gone announced that there is a collaboration/partnership of some kind between AEW and Impact as many performers from both sides have been easing some hype matchups

It'll be interesting to see where this goes

NXT Take Over Wargames 2020 was pretty top notch

Spoiler

Opened with the Women's War Games match, was pretty good and interesting turn of events

Ciampa vs Thatch was also really solid, though it looks like that one isn't done yet.

The Triple Threat for the NA Title was maybe a bit overbooked with how much was going on, but went about as well as it could've. Leon Ruff really showing he can go, would like to see him go for the Cruiserweight championship

Strap Match was interesting, though weirdness with "Chekov's Leather Strap". Why exactly did Grimes insist on using his if it absolutely didn't factor in at all? I just thought that was weird but otherwise also pretty good.

Men's War Games match was amazing. Nice to finally see UE get a win (I don't think they managed to win a War Games match ever, unless the first one? I don't remember off hand. Least not the last two). A great showing from all involved, honestly would like to see more of Pat Mcafee in NXT/WWE.

This upcoming episode of NXT should be good with pending returns

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

NXT Take Over Wargames 2020 was pretty top notch

Hide contents

Opened with the Women's War Games match, was pretty good and interesting turn of events

Ciampa vs Thatch was also really solid, though it looks like that one isn't done yet.

The Triple Threat for the NA Title was maybe a bit overbooked with how much was going on, but went about as well as it could've. Leon Ruff really showing he can go, would like to see him go for the Cruiserweight championship

Strap Match was interesting, though weirdness with "Chekov's Leather Strap". Why exactly did Grimes insist on using his if it absolutely didn't factor in at all? I just thought that was weird but otherwise also pretty good.

Men's War Games match was amazing. Nice to finally see UE get a win (I don't think they managed to win a War Games match ever, unless the first one? I don't remember off hand. Least not the last two). A great showing from all involved, honestly would like to see more of Pat Mcafee in NXT/WWE.

This upcoming episode of NXT should be good with pending returns

Pat McAfee is the best thing going in NXT right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, guitarzombie said:

Funny how different we are, because I thought it was so stupid and contrived.  Its like they build matches around gifs they can make and over-reaction / facials for memes.  I saw another dive in the mens war games.  So stupid and predictable.  

I wish NXT would tone it down on the crazy spots, but I think you nailed the exact reason that they do them. 

3 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I wish NXT would tone it down on the crazy spots, but I think you nailed the exact reason that they do them. 

Its really both companies.  I also feel the wrestlers are so subservient to the audience that they need to do crazy spots in order to prevent them from looking at their phones.  PERSONALLY, I wouldn't call a lot of that stuff wrestling, its really sports entertainment.  It bugs me that people say how entertained they were watching the shows or PPVs because thats not what wrestling was.  It wasnt a 'show' in that sense to be entertained.  The WRESTLING was the entertainment.  Vince made it that way and its now just become what we all think it was.  If you enjoy that stuff, thats fine, but I just wouldn't call it wrestling, personally.

6 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

Its really both companies.  I also feel the wrestlers are so subservient to the audience that they need to do crazy spots in order to prevent them from looking at their phones.  PERSONALLY, I wouldn't call a lot of that stuff wrestling, its really sports entertainment.  It bugs me that people say how entertained they were watching the shows or PPVs because thats not what wrestling was.  It wasnt a 'show' in that sense to be entertained.  The WRESTLING was the entertainment.  Vince made it that way and its now just become what we all think it was.  If you enjoy that stuff, thats fine, but I just wouldn't call it wrestling, personally.

I agree. It seems like this spot heavy wrestling starts with guys trying to get noticed on the indies and they don't change their style when they move on to one of the bigger companies. Part of it probably is the audience as well. If matches had as many rest holds and the amount of mat wrestling that they did back in the day, 90% of the fans probably would have their faces buried in their phones instead of paying attention.

TLC 2020 matches were overall decent.

Also I totally accurately predicted the PPV 100% (WrestleTalk has their WrestleLeague predictions lol)

Spoiler

Opening the WWE World Title match. Even with interference from Miz & Morrison, Macintyre still retained. Decent TLC match. Good to see Macintyre back on track, strongest babyface champ they've had in ages

OF COURSE Charlotte was the returning mystery partner. OF COURSE Her and Asuka won the womens tag titles. So OF COURSE theyre going to build to a wrestlemania rematch between them 🙄 at the least maybe they'll let Asuka win this time... not holding my breath though. Besides that the match was alright.

Hurt Business new raw tag team champs. not sure what this is going to accomplish besides extending an already overplayed fued. God Vince WWE really hates their tag division dont they?

Interesting to see UniChamp Roman not main event. Probably the best match of the show, and easily the best thing on WWE programming right now is Roman's run currently. Interested to see where they go from here. Still hoping for a Big E Rumble win and him challenging Roman @ Mania

OF course WWE went there at the end of the Firefly inferno match. Also a bit too obvious that it was faked imo lol. Otherwise passable up til then.

A decent predictable PPV. Still reinforces my opinion that WWE should retire (most of) the gimmick PPVs if not just tone them down a bit.

8 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

How many PPVs does WWE have a year now?   I remember it used to be 4 with an occasional random thing like Tuesday in Texas thrown in, then it seemed to be one a month in the early 2000s when I stopped watching as often.

Usually 12 a year. I miss the old days when it was just the big four (Royal Rumble, WrestleMania, SummerSlam, Survivor Series). Quality over quantity.

TLC 2020 matches were overall decent.

Also I totally accurately predicted the PPV 100% (WrestleTalk has their WrestleLeague predictions lol)

Reveal hidden contents

Opening the WWE World Title match. Even with interference from Miz & Morrison, Macintyre still retained. Decent TLC match. Good to see Macintyre back on track, strongest babyface champ they've had in ages

OF COURSE Charlotte was the returning mystery partner. OF COURSE Her and Asuka won the womens tag titles. So OF COURSE theyre going to build to a wrestlemania rematch between them 🙄 at the least maybe they'll let Asuka win this time... not holding my breath though. Besides that the match was alright.

Hurt Business new raw tag team champs. not sure what this is going to accomplish besides extending an already overplayed fued. God Vince WWE really hates their tag division dont they?

Interesting to see UniChamp Roman not main event. Probably the best match of the show, and easily the best thing on WWE programming right now is Roman's run currently. Interested to see where they go from here. Still hoping for a Big E Rumble win and him challenging Roman @ Mania

OF course WWE went there at the end of the Firefly inferno match. Also a bit too obvious that it was faked imo lol. Otherwise passable up til then.

A decent predictable PPV. Still reinforces my opinion that WWE should retire (most of) the gimmick PPVs if not just tone them down a bit.

The show was decent overall, but the ending to the Firefly Inferno match was just ridiculous.

21 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

How many PPVs does WWE have a year now?   I remember it used to be 4 with an occasional random thing like Tuesday in Texas thrown in, then it seemed to be one a month in the early 2000s when I stopped watching as often.

They've had 12+ a year since the advent of "In Your House" series during peak attitude Era