IGNORED

Pro Wrestling thread

CodysGameRoom

4 hours ago, NostalgicMachine said:

It's a valid criticism, my friend. I'm the same way; there are several channels where just the tone of the person's voice sets me off.

Yeah.  I also feel that way with the "U can beat video games" guy.  I like what he's doing and with the dog thing, but he talks too slow... and... also... very robotic.  I think its a voice he puts on because it eventually seems more natural.  I wish he drops it though cuz Id like to watch more of them!

2 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Yeah.  I also feel that way with the "U can beat video games" guy.  I like what he's doing and with the dog thing, but he talks too slow... and... also... very robotic.  I think its a voice he puts on because it eventually seems more natural.  I wish he drops it though cuz Id like to watch more of them!

That's totally one of the channels dude LOL. I cut the volume and just watch him play. He absolutely has solid strategies, but I get it LOL.

Royal Rumble this Saturday. Feels like there are a few directions they could go with this. That said I hope they don't just stick Brock Lesnar in the match after Reigns costs him the WWE Title or some shenanigans. It would exactly be the thing WWE does lol

Also, the best thing has happened lol

Great to see the reaction, too. So many people voicing their support, and I agree; no one more deserving of getting their big break. Also the lulz already

🤣

• Like 1

Very Evil, Very Tiring.  Between that and the Cody/Sammy "wow big spot just like in video game I clap" lack of psychology wrestling where the ref has to help for them to get their move spot over because they have zero charisma and cant get themselves over with their personality... i'm kinda done with wrestling again.  Id rather stick to the 80/90s stuff again.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Very Evil, Very Tiring.  Between that and the Cody/Sammy "wow big spot just like in video game I clap" lack of psychology wrestling where the ref has to help for them to get their move spot over because they have zero charisma and cant get themselves over with their personality... i'm kinda done with wrestling again.  Id rather stick to the 80/90s stuff again.

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Well that was certainly a Royal Rumble

Spoiler
On 1/27/2022 at 1:27 AM, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

That said I hope they don't just stick Brock Lesnar in the match after Reigns costs him the WWE Title or some shenanigans. It would exactly be the thing WWE does lol

didthething.jpg

Of course WWE went with Ronda Rousey and Brock Lesnar to win.

I don't mind Rousey for Women's as much though she didn't need it. They could've gotten there since Rousey has claim to go after Becky, but I wasn't sure who else they'd pick after the the people I would've picked has already been done to death. Probably means we'll unfortunately get Rousey vs Charlotte at WM or arguably even worse The Triple Threat rematch

I really dislike Lesnar as they did both the things I literally guessed to get him there. They really didn't need to after Heyman turned on him to realign with Roman and should've given it to Big E imho, which also probably means they're going somewhere completely different for Lashley & WWE Title  though it would've made sense, and again Lesnar didn't need to win the Rumble after all that to get his 'Mania match

Just kinda a waste overall for both, one a good bit more then the other.

The non-Rumble matches were all better matches.

Edited by SpoonMan Abrams X

• 2 weeks later...

Personal opinion, can't watch the wwe anymore.  Aew in the item hand is stacked with stars. Not a fan of j lethal doing jobs this early in his aew stint, but aew is watchable,  wwe just lost its edge the last 6 years or so. Sammy Guevara is incredibly fun to watch, hook is going to be special soon, the commentary is leagues ahead of wwe (although I could do without Excalibur), usually to wear a mask like he does you have to have experience but he sorta just wears it I think for clout. I still like the inner circle although that's probably done :(. .

On the flip side I am 1000% not a Matt hardy fan, ever since broken Matt I can't watch him. Hate orange cassidy, If It was in a legit fight with someone and they put there hands in there pockets like he does he would get absolutely destroyed. Omega is growing on me, I used to not like the bucks but the fact they didn't feel the need to keep the tag team belts for a million years made me respect them. .mjf is a guy you could build a promotion around  i feel,  ik wardlow is green but I wanna see more of him (with mjf for a little while longer and maybe betray him? 

I don't know what happened to aside from that God awful tattoo but I fast forward though all his matches 

Letting janellas contact expire along with Marco stunt and sunny kiss helps the show. Can't stand janela. They sorta turned ftr into jobbers which I guess I don't mind ( funny story, I went to a live event when they were in wwe and.they cheated to beat thino and slater  (I'm sort of a fan of heath) and for some dumb reason I got.the smaller of.the two.members and I blurted put that i I paid because I thought that would make.him angry (this was wwe not aew) and he In fact did get pissed and he asked me why I'd id.go to a wwe show if I wanted  to see the bucks,  and being lost in the moment I told him 'I figured they fired you scrubs  and got some actual talent. And legit.had to.stop himself from knocking me out right there.  

Still feel.bad.befause slater never won anyway. I.completely forgot about  kayfabe was a  Was a thing, And they cheated to be be someone who I really wrote for but it entirely was not their fault because it's not like they would come up with that finish.

Wwe is garbage  When you have Shane mcmann N and Otis as like your final people in the rumble ,  So it was disappointing in the fact that I knew neither of those guys had any chance and even though I am not  Not a fan of WWE Is that paper view was  The worst rumble I have ever seen. Shane McMahon has absolutely no reason to continue to wrestle as he is going to be 60 soon and I don't know if anybody else could tell but after a few minutes he was gassed.

My critique for AEWI is that they do the blade spot too often,  And I am not a huge fan of watching people bleed. 

Me and my buddy watched the paper view where it was Cody versus Dustin and I absolutely had to leave the room because there was blood everywhere and it was disgusting. 

Also not a fan of making the female wrestlers bleed or Go through incredibly brutal matches.

But yeah I can't watch WE anymore Because besides like AJ styles and maybe like 2 other people  They are either not using  The talent that they have or And yet they let marco stunt stay for  2+ plus years.  To either get his butt kicked by an actual wrestler or be a manager for a couple of guys and Is end up hurting them in the long run. 

Disappointed that Ronda rousey won the rumble, She's done some podcasts about how she didn't really like to wrestle And winning the Royal Rumble is a huge deal usually so that kind of made me sour she won  Considering she doesn't really care about wrestling that much selling that much and also if you were to get her on the ground it would not be hard to put her in a submission lock. 

Not gonna lie, I miss nia Jax,  They changed her original character which they made it worse but she made it work, I liked watching her drop that big leg. 

Somebody told me that Shane got fired from that rumble and I can totally see why. So basically if I want to watch decent wrestling it has to be AEW or like an indie show.

And don't get me started about big swoll it's swoll because I did the happy dance when I found out she would never come back I'm probably her least biggest fan

• Like 1

WWE is a live-action commercial for share holders, change my mind.

I'm an old school wrestling fan boi through and through, grew up with it all and I still watch all the classics regularly. Give me 1987-2002 anything.

I got back into modern WWE in about 2014 and couldn't believe how bad it had gotten. I've been to some live events and even PPVs in the recent years for WWE, and it's so bad. They legit pause people'e entrances to play commercials in the arena. I wish I were joking. I was at Clash of Champions 2017 in Boston; that was my last WWE event they got so bad.

Ring of Honor is still fun when they come around; I almost always check out smaller promotions.

So, uh, Anyone miss the news? The IWC losing their minds today lol

Spoiler

I'm not sold anything has actually happened until he shows back up on WWE programming. This besides news of a widely reported potential Stone Cold return match at Wrestlemania versus Kevin Owens

What do you all think?

11 hours ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

What do you all think?

re: Cody

huge news. and it could still end up being.... not a work, as that would imply that it wasn't legitimate, but Cody could still end up staying with AEW i think.
Big signing for WWE if it happens. the first talent to leave AEW willingly and join WWE. i have to believe Cody fully enjoyed the freedom of AEW, getting say in his programs and getting a live mic regularly. He won't get any of that in WWE. Then again, maybe he's had his fun and is looking to settle in for the long haul. who knows.
Big loss for AEW if it happens. Dude was always over (mixed reactions or not), put on good to great matches (the ladder match with Sammy was rated 5 stars!), and was unpredictable about what he was going to do/say next. His booking in AEW was weird, with a lot of stuff feeling disconnected from the rest of the roster (hence the term "Codyverse") but always felt compelling to me.

re: Austin

good luck. dude is 57. he's been retired for 19 years, which is 5 years longer than his in-ring career even lasted (1989-2003). i'm sure he's smart enough to pull off a match that masks his physical limitations, but (besides the money) what's the point?

19 hours ago, twiztor said:

re: Cody

huge news. and it could still end up being.... not a work, as that would imply that it wasn't legitimate, but Cody could still end up staying with AEW i think.
Big signing for WWE if it happens. the first talent to leave AEW willingly and join WWE. i have to believe Cody fully enjoyed the freedom of AEW, getting say in his programs and getting a live mic regularly. He won't get any of that in WWE. Then again, maybe he's had his fun and is looking to settle in for the long haul. who knows.
Big loss for AEW if it happens. Dude was always over (mixed reactions or not), put on good to great matches (the ladder match with Sammy was rated 5 stars!), and was unpredictable about what he was going to do/say next. His booking in AEW was weird, with a lot of stuff feeling disconnected from the rest of the roster (hence the term "Codyverse") but always felt compelling to me.

There's been a lot of hubbub in the last 24~ish hours since then. It seems like while "reports" of him falling out with the rest of the Elite was overblown, it seems like was potentially due to fallout with Tony Khan. He had a 1 year option to extend his contract (like the rest of the EVPs plus other Year 1 signings) which was not picked up by Tony, unlike the rest. So his departure may not be all that willing on his part, but rather Tony's refusal to continue employing him. Also supposedly Brandi was not popular backstage, but that's dirtsheet speculation and I don't entirely buy it.

All that said I don't think the "Codyverse/Codyzone/Cody Island" or w/e you want to call it was entirely him not wanting to do Elite stuff (I recall him making mentions of it a few times in promos, notably his feud with Brodie Lee). I think it probably had more to do with him dipping in and out so much with all his other outside endeavors, charity work as well as The Go Big Show and Rhodes to the Top (the latter even being renewed for a second season not long ago). I just don't think they were willing to necessary put him into other top programs going on, in case he had to be pulled out randomly. Would've been interesting to see him in the Omega/Elite & Hangman feud, but I'm fine with having not been there.

That all said I won't discount that it isn't a work, but I also won't believe he is going back to WWE until he shows up on RAW or something. Especially with after how they treated him, Dustin and their name & dad's legacy... though also never say never in pro wrestling.

19 hours ago, twiztor said:

re: Austin

good luck. dude is 57. he's been retired for 19 years, which is 5 years longer than his in-ring career even lasted (1989-2003). i'm sure he's smart enough to pull off a match that masks his physical limitations, but (besides the money) what's the point?

I consider the term "return match" with as big of quotes as you can imagine lol. It'll be, I imagine, somewhere in the realm of Bret Hart's "return" in 2010. At the very least he seems in considerably better shape & health then Bret, and Sting (at 62 years, mind you) is still going pretty good all things considered. The only concern would be his lack of ring rust, but it his style at the end of his career also wasn't the most intensive either.

Seems like they're going forward with it after KO's promo on RAW. I suppose we'll wait and see. It feels more likely to happen then Cody returning to WWE at this point, for me at least lol

• Like 2

18 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

The "IWC" ruined wrestling.  My two cents.

Inevitable regardless of the "IWC" or not. Wrestling will always evolve and change. 90's wrestling was not like the 80's. 2000's was different than the late 90's, etc. 

11 hours ago, Van Jackson said:

One of my favorite quotes comes from Kevin Sullivan; "I miss when the marks were in the seats.".

Yep. Bret Hart was never like "oooh I get to wrestle Hulk Hogan or Shawn Michaels". He was concerned with his career and protecting kayfabe and the sport. Workers these days are mostly marks, with some exceptions of course. IT has definitely affected the sport. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

I guess i'll be more specific.  "Smart fans" ruined wrestling. 

My point stands really, fans were not going to stay "dumb" for lack of a better term. It was always going to evolve no matter what. It wasn't just gonna be Hulk Hogan, Macho Man, Andre, Flair, Harley etc forever. It's silly to think otherwise. That might be your favorite era and that is fine but it was going to evolve and fans were always going to get "smart".

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

My point stands really, fans were not going to stay "dumb" for lack of a better term. It was always going to evolve no matter what. It wasn't just gonna be Hulk Hogan, Macho Man, Andre, Flair, Harley etc forever. It's silly to think otherwise. That might be your favorite era and that is fine but it was going to evolve and fans were always going to get "smart".

What I was trying to get to is the ones that permeated into the actual wrestling business and try to get themselves over at shows.  What I love about wrestling, is the crowd psychology element.  How the good and bad guys can control the audiences emotions in a legit way.  The actual WRESTLING itself is the least important part.  Now its about getting "holy shit" chants, and I can't tell if thats the wrestlers doing it to please the ADD crowd, or because thats what they think they're supposed to do.  Or "hes a heel, he's supposed to do that because its in the script" etc.  It seems like it'll be a feedback loop as current fans will want to do that and get further and further away from the actual element of pro wrestling.

Yeah it was inevitable, but you can still respect it enough to know your place in it, if that makes sense.  Like booing the bad guy and cheering the heels and not saying 'Theyre pushing this guy that isn't what I like so im gonna boo him'.  If the product was again treated more like sport, than drama or 'entertainment', then I think the fans would too.  Which is why I like the NWA.  But smart fans to me get so wrapped up in wanting to be a part of the show, that its ruined it. All I gotta do is hop on twitter and see what people think about things, without understanding the basic elements of what pro wrestling actually was for the past 50 years.

I'm a smart fan, but I try to respect what they do.  I can't remember if I mentioned it on here but I went to wrestlecon 19 and would never ever try to talk 'smart' to the wrestlers because I felt thats disrespectful.  I had a really great talk with Jerry Lynn about the Walking Dead and he was using wrestling terms and I said "I gotta be honest, I feel awkward trying to use these terms with you because I respect what you guys do".

@guitarzombie that perspective makes a lot more sense to me and I can agree with most of it. I definitely agree with the criticism about marks being on the wrong side of the guard rails. There are too many people who have gotten into the business, that should have been buying tickets. That has negatively affected indie wrestling as well as mainstream. 

• Like 2
  • Disagree 1

11 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

@guitarzombie that perspective makes a lot more sense to me and I can agree with most of it. I definitely agree with the criticism about marks being on the wrong side of the guard rails. There are too many people who have gotten into the business, that should have been buying tickets. That has negatively affected indie wrestling as well as mainstream. 

Unfortunately I think we're a little too far gone and IMO I blame the WWE from the early 2000s on because I think a lot of it is from what people grew up seeing.  Maybe a bit of ECW as well.  But I really think if the product was taken seriously, the people would enjoy it.  Movies arent real, but when its done well theres suspension of disbelief.  Why do horror movies scare people when we all know its make believe?  You can totally get that with wrestling where you can STILL know its pre-determined but when its done so well, you almost forget.  So thats why I stick with the older stuff, personally.  There are elements here and there with stuff today but as i've been saying, theres just too much 'entertainment'.  WWE is abysmal and most of AEW is indy.  But when either company gets it right (Brock, Reigns, Punk, Danielson) its fantastic and people respond to it.

• Like 2

On 2/17/2022 at 9:52 PM, Van Jackson said:

Smarks gonna smark. I'd also argue those same personalities have now permeated independent wrestling, and to a degree, the big leagues. One of my favorite quotes comes from Kevin Sullivan; "I miss when the marks were in the seats.".

On 2/18/2022 at 11:19 AM, guitarzombie said:

I guess i'll be more specific.  "Smart fans" ruined wrestling. 

Was gonna say, I'm pretty sure we are the IWC/Smart Fans, just by virtue of posting in threads like this lol. Though I think saying "smart fans/IWC sucks" is like saying "Nintendo/Star Wars/[Insert Thing] Fans suck", it has a lot more to do with individuals and smaller subs then the communities as a whole, but I digress.

I'll get to the elaborated point in a bit, but I think overall and from both sides (fans and those actually involved in the business) it overall is an improvement that we're "informed" more of what goes on in the business, regardless of the negative. That's even with the real fans attacking the performers (Actual mobs & riots, Piper getting stabbed, etc.) as well as the masquerading and adherence to it (David Schultz being a prime example of this). It reminds me of, and is related, to Undertaker's interview a year or two ago, when he compared the locker rooms from back when to today. That's a wholesale positive in my opinion, irregardless of Taker's alleged opinions, if for no other reason they are healthier, happier, and the bad shit doesn't get covered up like it used to.

Also I ask you, who else would want to get involved beyond those who are in the know? It's expanded the diversity & quality of the product in all respects. I can't fathom any business or job anyone would want to get involved in, especially Pro Wrestling, if someone wasn't allowed to know what was going on, and completely forbidden from talking about it. But that may just be me.

On 2/18/2022 at 9:50 AM, CodysGameRoom said:

Inevitable regardless of the "IWC" or not. Wrestling will always evolve and change. 90's wrestling was not like the 80's. 2000's was different than the late 90's, etc. 

Yep. Bret Hart was never like "oooh I get to wrestle Hulk Hogan or Shawn Michaels". He was concerned with his career and protecting kayfabe and the sport. Workers these days are mostly marks, with some exceptions of course. IT has definitely affected the sport. 

On 2/18/2022 at 11:30 AM, CodysGameRoom said:

I agree with this 110%.

Nothing I can really add beyond this, besides maybe preferring other generations of Pro Wrestling. Any refusal to enjoy at least some aspects of the product or trying to just say anything is objectively worse then another is, imho, the wrong way to be.

On 2/18/2022 at 11:50 AM, guitarzombie said:

What I was trying to get to is the ones that permeated into the actual wrestling business and try to get themselves over at shows.  What I love about wrestling, is the crowd psychology element.  How the good and bad guys can control the audiences emotions in a legit way.  The actual WRESTLING itself is the least important part.  Now its about getting "holy shit" chants, and I can't tell if thats the wrestlers doing it to please the ADD crowd, or because thats what they think they're supposed to do.  Or "hes a heel, he's supposed to do that because its in the script" etc.  It seems like it'll be a feedback loop as current fans will want to do that and get further and further away from the actual element of pro wrestling.

Yeah it was inevitable, but you can still respect it enough to know your place in it, if that makes sense.  Like booing the bad guy and cheering the heels and not saying 'Theyre pushing this guy that isn't what I like so im gonna boo him'.  If the product was again treated more like sport, than drama or 'entertainment', then I think the fans would too.  Which is why I like the NWA.  But smart fans to me get so wrapped up in wanting to be a part of the show, that its ruined it. All I gotta do is hop on twitter and see what people think about things, without understanding the basic elements of what pro wrestling actually was for the past 50 years.

I'm a smart fan, but I try to respect what they do.  I can't remember if I mentioned it on here but I went to wrestlecon 19 and would never ever try to talk 'smart' to the wrestlers because I felt thats disrespectful.  I had a really great talk with Jerry Lynn about the Walking Dead and he was using wrestling terms and I said "I gotta be honest, I feel awkward trying to use these terms with you because I respect what you guys do".

On 2/18/2022 at 12:35 PM, CodysGameRoom said:

On 2/18/2022 at 12:52 PM, guitarzombie said:

Unfortunately I think we're a little too far gone and IMO I blame the WWE from the early 2000s on because I think a lot of it is from what people grew up seeing.  Maybe a bit of ECW as well.  But I really think if the product was taken seriously, the people would enjoy it.  Movies arent real, but when its done well theres suspension of disbelief.  Why do horror movies scare people when we all know its make believe?  You can totally get that with wrestling where you can STILL know its pre-determined but when its done so well, you almost forget.  So thats why I stick with the older stuff, personally.  There are elements here and there with stuff today but as i've been saying, theres just too much 'entertainment'.  WWE is abysmal and most of AEW is indy.  But when either company gets it right (Brock, Reigns, Punk, Danielson) its fantastic and people respond to it.

Again, I do think overall the positives of being informed brings to the product and it's performers far outweigh the negatives, but I can get where you are coming from. My point from before stands, it's much more individual cases & smaller groups within that do more then just the "smart fans" in general, much more then I think you may be giving credit for it. I think the existence of a thriving independent scene is entirely indicative of this. It isn't just limited to Carny-esque grifters & con artists anymore. People can and are succeeding in making it a legitimate business venture, and I disagree with any observation other then it being a great thing.

As for "taking it seriously" that's entirely on the individual, nothing to do with "smart marks" or any amount of being informed. That's just shitty people being shitty. People that need to not take themselves or their opinions so seriously, thought that can be said of many more things but it still stands lol

Edited by SpoonMan Abrams X