IGNORED

Pro Wrestling thread

CodysGameRoom

I didn't get to watch much of last night's programs. But I love Chris Jericho. Even in the early days, that dude always had great comedic timing, super skilled in the ring and all around business smart. Always a conflict on if I declare Jericho as my all time favorite over the undertaker. But he's certainly close. 

45 minutes ago, SuperJimtendo said:

I didn't get to watch much of last night's programs. But I love Chris Jericho. Even in the early days, that dude always had great comedic timing, super skilled in the ring and all around business smart. Always a conflict on if I declare Jericho as my all time favorite over the undertaker. But he's certainly close. 

I only caught parts because I was trying to keep up with the NA implosion thread and the World Series game that were both going on at the same time. I did manage to watch the AEW tag title finals match. I guess I will watch Crown Jewel although I don't see much happening. I'm mostly interested if they are going to blow off the Fiend/Rollins feud since I don't see a title change with them on seperate shows. Same with the Velasquez/Lesnar match. I wish they would have dropped the stupid brand split idea since it never works, but they keep trying anyway.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

I watched AEW for the first time before flipping to the Bucks/Celtics game and I personally thought it was a 'WCW 2000' level of bad. I didn't care for the way the action was shot and directed (though not as bad as modern WWE) I dislike the constant quick cuts during all of the moves that make it feel more staged than it should. Jim Ross sounds like he is half phoning it in on commentary, and I don't think I blame him. A weak segment with the Rock and Roll Express being attacked on stage ala The Outsiders on Bischoff in '96, but there's no real feeling of buildup or storytelling to it, and then a bunch of cuts to disinterested fans made it somewhat humorous. Then there is a segment with Tony Schivone and Cody Rhodes in the back of a limo (am I crazy or did this segment feature a greenscreen background? It looked like a Seinfeld episode...) that goes on way too long and is tradition this and family that....ok.....and then next thing I know I am watching guys dressed up like Rick & Morty dominating a hokey wrestling match. I dunno, maybe I just turned in at a bad time. I didn't remotely feel the level of excitement that I felt with the early episodes of WCW Nitro back in '95/96. I was hoping it was gonna be closer to that but I wasn't really feeling it.

Again, all I saw was that particular 20 minutes, but after watching that, no way was I even considering switching back from what ended up being an excellent basketball game.
By no means do I assume I witnessed the best 20 minutes of the show. But it did make me cringe and that's just honesty. The only wrestling show I've really enjoyed that I watched this year was the WWE PPV back in February (between Royal Rumble and WrestleMania, forget the name now...) That was a really good show, I couldn't believe how WWE screwed up any momentum they had off of that in every way possible.

• Like 1

I wish aew and nxt would both stop making wcw references. I get you want to acknowledge that you're the raw/sd competition brand. But wcw was a company for what 12-15 years and we're only number 1 for 84 weeks. Not really what you want to be. 

They need to decide who the fanbase is. Pandering to both the nwa era fans and rick and morty in the same night was some b level stuff for sure

With a lot of AEW fans, I get the vibe of 'smarks who wanna be one of the boys' and I think that ruins wrestling.  With that said, I do love the amount of support they give and the AEW main card stuff is excellent.  Everything else, I could do without.  I think that stuff is whats killing it.  I really hope both companies do well but I think those kinda smark wrestling fans are ruining it.  They're also the easiest to work and I think the wrestlers that know what they're doing use that to their advantage. 

Edited by guitarzombie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

With a lot of AEW fans, I get the vibe of 'smarks who wanna be one of the boys' and I think that ruins wrestling.  With that said, I do love the amount of support they give and the AEW main card stuff is excellent.  I really hope both companies do well but I think those kinda smark wrestling fans are ruining it.  They're also the easiest to work and I think the wrestlers that know what they're doing use that to their advantage.  

They do know how to appeal to the internet fans that are tired of the lackluster WWE product which just booked themselves into a mess trying to do the same thing. I think putting out a solid in ring product with storylines that actually make sense with legit payoffs would keep the fans attention.

I agree.  Me though, I dont know who to 'blame'.  I think the flashy moves are ridiculous and its tiring every time.  But who do I blame?  The wrestlers or the fans?  The fans want it and the wrestlers give it to them.  I love Vince, and once he goes, I think you'll see the WWF back to prominence.  I call it the WWF cuz thats what I grew up with haha.

Edited by guitarzombie

1 minute ago, guitarzombie said:

I agree.  Me though, I dont know who to 'blame'.  I think the flashy moves are ridiculous and its tiring every time.  But who do I blame?  The wrestlers or the fans?  The fans want it and the wrestlers give it to them.  I love Vince, and once he goes, I think you'll see the WWF back to prominence.  I call it the WWF cuz thats what I grew up with haha.

I honestly think it's the fans. The same ones that wanted Kofi to win the title started complaining when his run was less than stellar and went back to saying he was a career midcarder, but when he dropped the title, they had a fit. The creative team could do a lot better, but it's tough to please fans that can't decide what they want.

• Like 1

You're totally right.  I was at that WM and the place BLEW UP.  Wrestling fans are the worst and they're the ones killing it and I dunno if they even know it.  I just watch what I watch and enjoy.  I dont put in my two cents and wanna see how things play out.  I dont follow the WWF or any show except the NWA but it just baffling to me how everyone thinks they know what to do and what they wanna see.  I think its a respect thing.  I went to wrestlecon this year and talked to Jerry Lynn for like a half hour (who's such an INCREDIBLY nice guy BTW) and I told him how awkward it was for me to use 'wrestling lingo' to a wrestler, and the only reason why I did it is because he was using it first.  I told him it was just out of respect.  I think thats whats missing, but I dunno.  I really hope good things come out of this whole thing and I think it will EVENTUALLY.  

Just now, guitarzombie said:

You're totally right.  I was at that WM and the place BLEW UP.  Wrestling fans are the worst and they're the ones killing it and I dunno if they even know it.  I just watch what I watch and enjoy.  I dont put in my two cents and wanna see how things play out.  I dont follow the WWF or any show except the NWA but it just baffling to me how everyone thinks they know what to do and what they wanna see.  I think its a respect thing.  I went to wrestlecon this year and talked to Jerry Lynn for like a half hour (who's such an INCREDIBLY nice guy BTW) and I told him how awkward it was for me to use 'wrestling lingo' to a wrestler, and the only reason why I did it is because he was using it first.  I told him it was just out of respect.  I think thats whats missing, but I dunno.  I really hope good things come out of this whole thing and I think it will EVENTUALLY.  

I don't know if you saw that WWE Backstage show they have on FS1 now, but they are literally exposing the business on their own talk show using insider terms talking about "storylines" and "promos". I couldn't believe it. They just need to go back (a long way back) to when they had storylines that had a solid build and an actual payoff. I think half of the reasons the smart fans can't make up their minds what they want is because the booking is equally as inconsistent.

5 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I don't know if you saw that WWE Backstage show they have on FS1 now, but they are literally exposing the business on their own talk show using insider terms talking about "storylines" and "promos". I couldn't believe it.

That doesn't bother me, thats their business.  The issue is that the WWF is in a weird position where they're trying to cater to young fans AND smarks.  When I was a kid it was all Hogan and I loved it.  When I was a teen it was all Austin and I loved it.  Now they're PG for the kids who buy merch, but are trying to also cater to smarks where AEW is all smark.  You really can't have both.  I think the best thing they should do is not to micromanage talent so much and let the ones get over on their own with their promos.  Give more power to the wrestlers like how it used to be.  Thats what I like about NWA.  The wrestlers seem so natural and not overproduced.  

8 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

That doesn't bother me, thats their business.  The issue is that the WWF is in a weird position where they're trying to cater to young fans AND smarks.  When I was a kid it was all Hogan and I loved it.  When I was a teen it was all Austin and I loved it.  Now they're PG for the kids who buy merch, but are trying to also cater to smarks where AEW is all smark.  You really can't have both.  I think the best thing they should do is not to micromanage talent so much and let the ones get over on their own with their promos.  Give more power to the wrestlers like how it used to be.  Thats what I like about NWA.  The wrestlers seem so natural and not overproduced.  

I agree. I keep reading interviews with WWE people where they get asked about AEW being competition and the typical responses are the standard "competition is good for business" or "they are doing their own thing" when obviously they are worried about losing wrestlers and fans to AEW to the point they are resigning guys that they could stand to let go and overpaying them to barely get used on TV just to keep them from leaving. I'm sure they remember when they were losing the ratings war and signed struggling midcarders that WCW didn't think they needed in Cactus Jack, Jean Paul Levesque and Stunning Steve Austin who the WWE turned into Mankind, Triple H and Stone Steve Austin who all became main eventers and key figures during the Attitude Era that eventually put WCW out of business. If the WWE wouId just focus on using the talent they have to put out entertaining programming instead of forcing pushes on wrestlers that aren't over organically or ignoring the ones that are which is what gets the smarks riled up on the internet which sends them into damage control booking like they did yesterday (I'm sure due to the Hell in a Cell backlash) with no plan going forward so they end up having to make it up as they go and the product suffers for it. I like NWA and they have the right attitude. They know their audience and they are doing their own thing instead of worrying about competing with AEW or WWE.