IGNORED

Pro Wrestling thread

CodysGameRoom

I won't spoil Crown Jewel either, but there were a few surprises.  The ending was a head scratcher for me, trying to see the end game.

I thought the show was decent, but the matches I cannot say were all that great...very interesting developments with the wrestlers not being allowed to leave - wow.

EDIT - woah read about it, apparently it's a 20-hour flight back and several SD wrestlers may not make it to tonight's show in time.  I better tune in lol.

Edited by Boosted52405

3 hours ago, Teh_Lurv said:

That story is so surreal. "Saudi Arabia holding the WWE hostage" sounds like the setup for an episode of GI Joe. 

The official WWE statement is that there were mechanical issues with the plane so I guess the truth is somewhere in the middle. They also said tonight's Smackdown will be full of surprises, which likely translates to "we're going to make it up as we go".

1 hour ago, Boosted52405 said:

I won't spoil Crown Jewel either, but there were a few surprises.  The ending was a head scratcher for me, trying to see the end game.

I thought the show was decent, but the matches I cannot say were all that great...very interesting developments with the wrestlers not being allowed to leave - wow.

EDIT - woah read about it, apparently it's a 20-hour flight back and several SD wrestlers may not make it to tonight's show in time.  I better tune in lol.

I have a theory of how they could fix the situation they caused, but I wouldn't give the creative team the credit to think of it becauase I'm guessing it's only a possibility by accident. The somewhat non spoiler version is that Raw still has a left over draft pick they haven't used due the trade they announced on the first FS1 WWE Backstage show.

I wont be watching but i'll follow on twitter haha.  Also I skimmed thru the Saudi show.  Its real odd because for all the fucked up stuff there, there ARE people there that just want to have fun and entertain so seeing the womens match was great.  Id also reckon for the wrestlers THEMSELVES, they must be thrilled that they get the reactions they WANT from the crowd, instead of the smarky ones going against the grain (Heels being booed, faces cheered etc).  Also makes sense what happened since it WAS halloween.

That episode of NXT Smackdown was great! Figures that the main roster gets stuck in Saudi Arabia and it actually worked out. I don't get how Brock Lesnar can "quit" and go to Raw. Another reason these brand splits make no sense. I thought Raw was going to use the "draft pick to be named later" they got for trading Alexa Bliss and Nikki Cross to Smackdown since it wasn't used, but I'm guessing the writers already forgot about it since that would have actually made sense instead of opening the door for wrestlers to have the option of "quitting" their brand to switch to another one. Instead of using the available solution, they create another loophole. I need to check the WWE corporate website and see if they have another opening for the creative team. I knew I should have applied for that last one...

Its a fad and it'll go away until he 'sheds' it and becomes normal.  The issue I have with all that stuff is the entire business was built on respect.  Ask HHH during those Tough Enough tapings.  Guys like Race, the Funks, Brisco, Piper, The Sheik etc, went out of their way to protect the business and the next gen had to come in and not only do the same, but show respect to the people that came before them for what they gave and had done.  These kinds of things to me spit in the face of all of that.  Guys were stabbed, beaten, families threatened all to protect and respect the business of wrestling.  Id love to see those guys now talk about whats going on.  It didn't hurt that those guys were real freaking tough guys.  Im not even a huge fan of that older stuff but as a fan I respect it cuz I respect wrestling.  Is that weird?

28 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Its a fad and it'll go away until he 'sheds' it and becomes normal.  The issue I have with all that stuff is the entire business was built on respect.  Ask HHH during those Tough Enough tapings.  Guys like Race, the Funks, Brisco, Piper, The Sheik etc, went out of their way to protect the business and the next gen had to come in and not only do the same, but show respect to the people that came before them for what they gave and had done.  These kinds of things to me spit in the face of all of that.  Guys were stabbed, beaten, families threatened all to protect and respect the business of wrestling.  Id love to see those guys now talk about whats going on.  It didn't hurt that those guys were real freaking tough guys.  Im not even a huge fan of that older stuff but as a fan I respect it cuz I respect wrestling.  Is that weird?

I guess it's the same reason that stuff bothers me. I've been watching wrestling for 30+ years and even in the 80s with the over the top characters, the wrestlers were supposed to "live the gimmick 24/7". Ted DiBiase traveled on a private jet and was given hundred dollar bills to pay for things as small as a pack of gum to make it seem like he was the Million Dollar Man. Triple H is an interesting guy. He seems to be a real wrestling historian, but he was also part of the "curtain call" which is the moment that really exposed the business which happened to be a perfect storm of someone having a camera to record it and the internet starting to take off so the video spread all over. I guess with the internet it would be tough to protect the business, but it still bothers me when wrestlers have Twitter accounts under their real names and openly talking about behind the scenes stuff. I was literally shocked watching that WWE Backstage show on FS1 and listening to them openly discuss storylines, promos, etc. Shows like Tough Enough and Total Divas were already showing wrestlers practicing and going over matches, but to literally see a WWE talk show completely open everything up was something I didn't expect.

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I guess it's the same reason that stuff bothers me. I've been watching wrestling for 30+ years and even in the 80s with the over the top characters, the wrestlers were supposed to "live the gimmick 24/7". Ted DiBiase traveled on a private jet and was given hundred dollar bills to pay for things as small as a pack of gum to make it seem like he was the Million Dollar Man. Triple H is an interesting guy. He seems to be a real wrestling historian, but he was also part of the "curtain call" which is the moment that really exposed the business which happened to be a perfect storm of someone having a camera to record it and the internet starting to take off so the video spread all over. I guess with the internet it would be tough to protect the business, but it still bothers me when wrestlers have Twitter accounts under their real names and openly talking about behind the scenes stuff. I was literally shocked watching that WWE Backstage show on FS1 and listening to them openly discuss storylines, promos, etc. Shows like Tough Enough and Total Divas were already showing wrestlers practicing and going over matches, but to literally see a WWE talk show completely open everything up was something I didn't expect.

I don't mind that TBH.  A lot of it is trying to get over in some way and usually the easiest way is the cheapest or most 'controversial' way.  But if the product is treated serious I'm into it even though I know whats going on.  It seems like a lot of wrestlers are using the cheapest way of getting over with controversial, 'disrespectful' gimmicks, over the top moves or spots.  Im not into it.

22 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

I don't mind that TBH.  A lot of it is trying to get over in some way and usually the easiest way is the cheapest or most 'controversial' way.  But if the product is treated serious I'm into it even though I know whats going on.  It seems like a lot of wrestlers are using the cheapest way of getting over with controversial, 'disrespectful' gimmicks, over the top moves or spots.  Im not into it.

Yeah, it seemed like back in the day everyone was on the same page. Now it's like everyone is going into business for themselves trying to get over instead of working together to get the business over which is what I think is part of the reason that the quality of the overall product is suffering.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperJimtendo said:

This played on the radio station at work today.

Maybe we should make this thread a club so it doesn't get lost in the feed?

I don't think Triple H could bury this thread with all of the wrestling content out there. Did anyone watch NWA tonight? The Colt Cabana/James Storm match was solid other than the bad camerawork missing the finish because they were focused on outside the ring activities.

I met Virgil at wrestlecon.  I gave him $10 just to say I gave him money.  I didn't even ask for anything.  We BS'ed for a bit and told him I love the gimmick and only if he could have used it back in the day haha.  We had a nice convo then he started working me a bit and that was that.  Nothing crazy but some over the top tales about Vince.  His gimmick now is money, literally.

54 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

I met Virgil at wrestlecon.  I gave him $10 just to say I gave him money.  I didn't even ask for anything.  We BS'ed for a bit and told him I love the gimmick and only if he could have used it back in the day haha.  We had a nice convo then he started working me a bit and that was that.  Nothing crazy but some over the top tales about Vince.  His gimmick now is money, literally.

Did he try to get you to take him to Olive Garden? 😂 I thought that was just part of his Twitter gimmick, but I guess they came out with some kind of Olive Garden lifetime pass that cost $500 or something and he was asking for people to buy him one. I remember he started a GoFundMe page trying to raise a million dollars so he could be a millionaire. I'm not sure how much of it is a gimmick and how much of it is him being Iron Sheik level out of it. He can't be too broke if he manages to have a merchandise table anywhere there's a convention.

Its a gimmick from an old school worker!  Living the gimmick.  I mean I see right thru it and how great it is.  Someone who's just riding coat tails about how great he is.  Read his IG captions, its phenomenal and so entertaining.  He's also being managed (or was) by Eric Simms.  At one point he was a teacher in Pittsburgh where he's from and apparently a really nice and straight laced guy.  Right before I went to go talk to him a family came up and gave him some money for a pic and he spent a lot of time with him and the kids just being very genuine.  

4 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Its a gimmick from an old school worker!  Living the gimmick.  I mean I see right thru it and how great it is.  Someone who's just riding coat tails about how great he is.  Read his IG captions, its phenomenal and so entertaining.  He's also being managed (or was) by Eric Simms.  At one point he was a teacher in Pittsburgh where he's from and apparently a really nice and straight laced guy.  Right before I went to go talk to him a family came up and gave him some money for a pic and he spent a lot of time with him and the kids just being very genuine.  

Virgil is a funny guy. That lonely Virgil meme was actually made into a documentary, but I haven't seen it.

• Like 1

I'm glad Smackdown and Raw were taped from London so I don't have to suffer through what looked like two awful shows. Seems like a strange decision to have The Revival drop the tag titles to The New Day last night. I can't be the only one that thinks The New Day have run their course and why The Revival can't ever get a decent title run. The WWE should send them back to NXT instead of wasting them on Smackdown. I wonder if The Revival's inconsistent booking has anything to do with them still not signing new deals. They have to be looking at how AEW features tag team wrestling and thinking about making the jump.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug