IGNORED

Music Debate #96: The Cranberries

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite artists of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking band. Or artist.
    • 8/10 - Great sound, great songs, great albums.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. More than a few songs you like. You'd entertain the thought of seeing them live if they were in the area. Or still alive.
    • 5/10 - They're okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to listen to.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There may be a song or two, or an album that you dig, but you'd rather listen to other stuff.
    • 3/10 - Not very good. You will more likely than not turn the station if they come on the radio.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - In the running for worst artist/musician of all time. You would rather take a cheese grater to your face than listen to this.

I didn't like them as a kid in the 90s, I tried to be "fair" when I was a young adult in my 20s, still didn't like them and now that I'm an old codger, I keep feeling validated in my youthful opinions.

0/10 and up there (or down there) with one of the worst bands ever, IMHO.

• Wow! 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Editorials Team · Posted
4 minutes ago, RH said:

I didn't like them as a kid in the 90s, I tried to be "fair" when I was a young adult in my 20s, still didn't like them and now that I'm an old codger, I keep feeling validated in my youthful opinions.

Wow.  Take that Lil Xan and Blood on the Dance Floor 😆

1 minute ago, RH said:

Actually, I'm 100% an idiot and I own it.  Cranberries aren't bad and I can enjoy them if I catch a song on the radio. Somewhere back in that youthful time, I associated The Cranberries with Hole.  Hole/Courtney Love is the band I can't stand.  Every time I tried to "give them a chance" I walked away not liking them.  However, due to some weird youthful association with these two bands (that I agree makes no sense at all), I never chose to listen to The Cranberries much and now I made a stupid comment before paying attention. *sigh*

Ok, they actually sound decent. Not the worst, not the best but fair enough and I can listen to these songs if I catch them on the radio.  Sorry, @Reed Rothchild, amend my vote to a 5/10 for the record, if you want to to do that.

(This is what happens when I vote and comment before reading the titles of the songs and realizing it's another band I've not paid much attention too.)

Just now, Reed Rothchild said:

Wow.  Take that Lil Xan and Blood on the Dance Floor 😆

I had to post a legit update just now.  Yeah... my bad.  I stand by what I said if you replace "The Cranberries" with "Hole".  Probably not my most hated band but definitely one that's like nails on a chalkboard.

I feel so bad now.  I kind of want to listen to a couple of cranberry albums to make it up to them.

Moderator · Posted

6/10 a few songs I like, with Zombie being an all time great with great memories attached to it while traveling with friends. 

Dolores had such a tragic life, spent time in Dingle while driving around Ireland and was nice to hear stories about her from the locals. 

I dont know much about them but I use them as my example for creating the thing I like the least about zombies.

Truth be told, the song wouldn't be so bad without the weird pitchy and out of tune voice cracking things.  And the p4 over the G chord (C note) before the vocals, affectionately known in jazz as 'the avoid note'.

Edited by guitarzombie

I've never even heard of any songs outside of Zombie and Ode to my Family. I hated her voice back when they were hitting actively, but nowadays I think it's pretty good.

Never really had an impression that they were more than a one hit wonder though, to be honest. I don't think I could rate them fairly.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Was watching Angela's Christmas on netflix for the millionth time because my mother-in-law is obsessed with watching it with the kids.  It's the prequel to feel-good family fare Angela's Ashes.

I just noticed last night that O'riordan does the main song for it.