IGNORED

The 2021 Backlog Challenge

Reed Rothchild

4 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Third time's the charm.  After Castlevania locked up twice on Death's stage, I had to abandon the NES and cart and buy it on Switch.  And yeah, I had to use the holy water on Death, fighting him legit was just not working out.

Er9L7t9UYAUVXPo?format=jpg&name=large

I'm glad I have the version cart that doesn't lock up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MagusSmurf said:

being any good at symphony of the night isn't necessary to beat it

so you're probably fine!

Yeah, SotN is one of those games that you can just kinda "brute force" your way through. If a particular spot is giving you a hard time, just check your heaps of gear and items to see if there's something you can equip that will help out. Honestly, Alucard ends the game with enough loot to fund the establishment of his own barony. It's kinda ridiculous and my one main annoyance with the game.

• Like 1

I'm putting in my practice on DuckTales at the moment. While I rented once or twice back in the day, it's not a game I "grew up with", so it's taking a fair bit of practice and patience to get through some of the stages. I'm finding that the hit detection on 'ole Scrooge feels a little unfair. His hit box seems to extend more than a few pixels outside his body. The cane bounce is also surprisingly fussy about when and where it wants to work. It won't work if you land near the edge of a platform. Sometimes, it will randomly stop working in mid-air.

It's an incredibly charming and fun game, for sure. I guess I'm just a little surprised by how much of a challenge these little quirks have been. I've spent several nights trying to get solid enough with the controls and memorization to get through 3 of the stages. I still can barely finish the Amazon...which is teeth-grindingly annoying for some reason. Even with extra heart power-ups.

...and all this coming from a guy who can no-death Contra. Then again, I've had 30+ years of practice playing Contra. It's gonna take me a while to get that comfortable with DT.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MagusSmurf said:

in case you’re playing on the Disney Afternoon Collection, try turning off vsync if it’s on. I played duck tales on there a couple months ago and it seemed to make a big difference.

Nah, I'm playing on an original cart. I'm slowly adjusting. It's just a game that I don't have a lot of practice or experience with, which is kinda cool as it feels like I'm exploring something new...even though it's 30 years old! 😆

I gotta say though, DT has some rockin' music in most of its stages. I wasn't super keen on the Transylvania theme at first but even that is starting to grow on me.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Wow! 1

12 hours ago, Webhead123 said:

I'm putting in my practice on DuckTales at the moment. While I rented once or twice back in the day, it's not a game I "grew up with", so it's taking a fair bit of practice and patience to get through some of the stages. I'm finding that the hit detection on 'ole Scrooge feels a little unfair. His hit box seems to extend more than a few pixels outside his body. The cane bounce is also surprisingly fussy about when and where it wants to work. It won't work if you land near the edge of a platform. Sometimes, it will randomly stop working in mid-air.

It's an incredibly charming and fun game, for sure. I guess I'm just a little surprised by how much of a challenge these little quirks have been. I've spent several nights trying to get solid enough with the controls and memorization to get through 3 of the stages. I still can barely finish the Amazon...which is teeth-grindingly annoying for some reason. Even with extra heart power-ups.

...and all this coming from a guy who can no-death Contra. Then again, I've had 30+ years of practice playing Contra. It's gonna take me a while to get that comfortable with DT.

I found the best approach was to start on easy to learn all the levels, then move up to medium to find all the hidden stuff then power through it on hard because you have mastered the levels. 

I always hate doing the Amazon stage so would always start with that. The Moon stage is so much fun, definitely one of my favourite platformer levels ever made. And the music is just so good in that level.

I want to replay this game now haha.

• Like 2

1. Mega Man X2 (SNES) - complete
  2. Gargoyle’s Quest II (NES) - unbeaten
  3. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Gamecube) - unbeaten
  4. DuckTales (NES) - complete
  5. Mega Man X (SNES) - complete
  6. Super Mario Odyssey (Switch) - unbeaten
  7. Metalstorm (NES) - unbeaten
  8. Paper Mario: The Origami King (Switch) - unbeaten
  9. Splatterhouse (TG-16) - unbeaten
  10. Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis) - complete
  11. Final Fantasy V (GBA) - unbeaten
  12. The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D (3DS) - unbeaten
  13. Breath of Fire II (SNES) - complete
  14. Pokemon Special Pikachu Edition (GB) - unbeaten
  15. Paper Mario (N64) - unbeaten
  16. Mega Man III (NES) - complete
  17. Brain Lord (SNES) - complete
  18. Rescue Rangers (NES) - complete
  19. Sonic the Hedgehog II (Genesis) – unbeaten
  20. Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) – unbeaten

LOG:

Started Final Fantasy VII Remake

Edited by ScaryD
  • Like 2

I've been messing around a bit with mega man 3 and duck tales and so far I thought both games were quite good but neither has really grabbed me yet. Today I popped in Ninja Gaiden and I think this game is fantastic. I am hooked. Gunnuh try to beat this one before the end of the month, to meet my 1 game per month goal.

Got to 5-2 today.

• Like 3

Events Helper · Posted

Bought and downloaded undertale after game night last night.  Was gonna play on breaks at work, but since my switch is at my computer and hooked up to record/stream, i think I might record it and put it up on youtubes if anyone wants to watch.  sans commentary, but the gameplay will be there if anyone hasn't played it and wants to see what its like!

I might also start recording my commando missions if anybody is interested.  If you haven't played it will give you a good feel on what the game is about and how horrible it can be sometimes.

12 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

Bought and downloaded undertale after game night last night.  Was gonna play on breaks at work, but since my switch is at my computer and hooked up to record/stream, i think I might record it and put it up on youtubes if anyone wants to watch.  sans commentary, but the gameplay will be there if anyone hasn't played it and wants to see what its like!

I might also start recording my commando missions if anybody is interested.  If you haven't played it will give you a good feel on what the game is about and how horrible it can be sometimes.

Looking forward to your thoughts on Undertale. I liked that game a lot

• Like 1

On 1/17/2021 at 5:04 PM, Webhead123 said:

Honestly, Castlevania is one of the most consistently-awesome side-scrolling franchises ever made. I think every main game in the series is top-of-its-class up through SotN, although I admittedly stopped playing them after that, with the exception of Adventure: ReBirth. It's a shame Adventure: ReBirth apparently existed only as WiiWare and seems to be basically unobtainable now, because it was truly exceptional. I'm tempted to rank it my second favorite game in the series right behind Super Castlevania and fighting Castlevania III for the spot. Yes, it's that good (in my opinion).

Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin on the DS are worth checking out. If you haven’t already. 

• Like 1