IGNORED

Console Debate #7: Pong

fox

How do you rate Pong?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Pong?

• 10/10 GOAT. Greatest console of all time.
    • 9/10 Bad@$$. One of the best.
    • 8/10 Exceptional. Everyone should play it.
    • 7/10 Superior. More than a few games you like.
    • 6/10 Good. You might occasionally enjoy playing it.
    • 5/10 Average. Smack dab in the middle.
    • 4/10 Mediocre. Not something you will go out of your way to play.
    • 3/10 Inferior. There are better alternatives to this.
    • 2/10 Poor. Barely worth turning on.
    • 1/10 Trash. No redeeming features.
    • Haven’t played, but interested.
    • No interest in it.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/02/2021 at 08:59 PM

This time we are going back....way back
320px-TeleGames-Atari-Pong.png320px-Nintendo-Color-TV-Game-Blockbreake320px-Coleco-Telstar-Colortron.jpg
320px-Odyssey-300.pngTV_Tennis_Electrotennis.jpg

*There are various Pong consoles and clones, every company had their own version, so just lumping them together here.  Basically any 1st generation console, that just features built in pong/table tennis and/or other basic games with a paddle controller or the like.

tenor.gif

1 minute ago, ChickenTendas said:

I've never played a 1st gen console before. I voted interested, but mostly for historical and novelty reasons; Pong doesn't really hold my attention on its own.

Pong is historically interesting. Agree. I have no interest in acquiring or playing Pong though.

• Like 1

I had to give it a 7. Even though I have never played it. Pong was the phenomenon caused gaming consoles to even be a thing. I will be honest that it's to basic to catch my attention today and playing one, though potentially fun for 10-15 minutes, probably wouldn't hold my attention for long.

But, it's still a critical stepping stone in the establishment of video games in pop culture. If I had been born in the mid to late 60s and a kid in the Pong era, I would have loved it. I kind of feel it deserves at least a 7 and I know it would have 100% been up my alley had I been born in the right era.

Events Team · Posted

Pong itself is pretty fantastic and I wish paddle games were still a thing in the modern age.  But I'm also pretty sure I have Pong on some Atari multicart.  So as a standalone I don't have much interest in a straight Pong machine beyond the historical significance.  So I'll have to go for a 3 for the console itself though I'd rate the game at about an 8.

Editorials Team · Posted

Am I gonna play Pong or Breath of the Wild?

Pong or Mega Man 2?

Pong or Metal Gear Solid?

Pong or Super Mario 3D Land?

And am I gonna play the console that has 1 game or the console that has 300-3000?

It has its place in history.  But it's a curiosity at this point, nothing more.

I too struggled with how to rate this.  I went 5.  Honestly, most of us have no real context in which to properly rate these.  They were such a foundational building block and so primitive that even looking back through the lense of the 2600 or some such makes PONG consoles look like fancy paper weights.

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

And am I gonna play the console that has 1 game or the console that has 300-3000?

In fairness, some of these feature multiple games like squash (you vs the wall) and soccer and other basic line and dot games.  But games are hardware based and not cart based so the library will still be very limited.

Historically significant? Yes. Fun to play today for more than 5-10 minutes a couple times a year? No.

4/10 for modern day consumption. Many of the clever variations on basic Pong can actually get pretty fun but even then, it's just some variation on two lines and a bouncing dot, so you can only take the experience so far.

4 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

So a console that only played Arkanoid would be an 8, 9, or 10?

No, Pong got a 7 because of what it was. I added a few points for historical importance.

Arkanoid is a derivative title by a few iterations and was practically the end "perfection" of the paddle game with a bouncing ball. But, no, Arkanoid isn't perfect. But, for what it is, it is still an extremely fun title and it get the most out of it, I'd say it requires a paddle controller rather than a d-pad or arcade knob.

Pong was incredibly significant in its time but I had to go with a 2/10. I just don't enjoy it. He'll I really don't enjoy any game in the 1st or 2nd gen. I feel like we've all played pong before. Probably not for long because it gets old incredibly fast. But, it's still a game. It's not broken, I might've enjoy it a few times as a kid when I didn't really have many gaming options. I never owned or played the actual Pong console. But it's incredibly easy to find the game alone on other platforms. 

11 hours ago, ChickenTendas said:

I've never played a 1st gen console before. I voted interested, but mostly for historical and novelty reasons; Pong doesn't really hold my attention on its own.

I feel this way as well. I'd actually like to own one of these some day, but I reckon it would be a machine I'd play very very occasionally, at fifteen minutes a pop.

I gave it a 5 as well.  Today, nowadays, you certainly have to be a bit tipsy with friends for it to hold its own.  But it IS a fun, drunk party game...especially if you have a Quadra Pong arcade unit.  

I still want to get Pong (or, more specifically, a Pong clone due to the cost of everyone wanting an Atari one) cabinet for the basement arcade.  Williams Paddle Ball is good, but Chicago Coin made a decent, easy to service cabinet as well.

For the dedicated home console, I actually have an Atari Pong console (the very first one) tucked away in my storage racks in my basement.  I got it when I was college and did have those wild, drunken playthroughs of it.

Edited by Sumer