IGNORED

Console Debate #6 Playstation 4/Playstation 4 Pro

fox

How do you rate the Playstation 4/Playstation 4 Pro?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate the Playstation 4/Playstation 4 Pro?

• 10/10 GOAT. Greatest console of all time.
    • 9/10 Bad@$$. One of the best.
    • 8/10 Exceptional. Everyone should play it.
    • 7/10 Superior. More than a few games you like.
    • 6/10 Good. You might occasionally enjoy playing it.
    • 5/10 Average. Smack dab in the middle.
    • 4/10 Mediocre. Not something you will go out of your way to play.
    • 3/10 Inferior. There are better alternatives to this.
    • 2/10 Poor. Barely worth turning on.
    • 1/10 Trash. No redeeming features.
    • Haven’t played, but interested.
    • No interest in it.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/25/2020 at 05:59 PM

11 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

Honestly, modern games are mostly too involved and epic for me.  

You have to ignore a substantial portion of the library to believe this statement.  The Indie scene is about as big on the PS4 as it's been on all other consoles combined.  None of those games would fit your description, and yet most of them are a lot of fun to play.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gloves said:

PSP is amazing what drugs are you on?

He never said it wasn't amazing.  If I'm including handhelds, I would also probably rank it last, but I would still consider it an amazing console.  It's pretty awesome that the worst console from Sony is still a fantastic product.  

I think PS3 would be last for me. 

I'm still working through my PS4 games, but Dead Cells, Mega Man 11, Doom 2016, Nioh, Nex Machina, and Blaspemous are all 5 stars for me. This is just a little piece of the library and look at the genre spread two platformers, a FPS, a Nes/souls gonna die a lot rpg style action game, a twin stick shooter, and a metroidvania platformer. 

Even better, these are all pick up and play.

And they are still releasing games. If R-Type Final 2 and Cybershadow are as good as they look the library is going to start knocking on the PS1 door imo.

• Like 1

Since we're suddenly talking about the worst Sony console/portable, I think it's easily PS3/PSP. I wouldn't even bat an eye if someone told me I could never play another game from those systems again. My Sony rankings would be

1. PS1
  2. PS4
  3. PS2
  4. PS3
  5. Vita
  6. PSP.
Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Californication said:

I think PS3 would be last for me. 

I'm still working through my PS4 games, but Dead Cells, Mega Man 11, Doom 2016, Nioh, Nex Machina, and Blaspemous are all 5 stars for me. This is just a little piece of the library and look at the genre spread two platformers, a FPS, a Nes/souls gonna die a lot rpg style action game, a twin stick shooter, and a metroidvania platformer. 

Even better, these are all pick up and play.

And they are still releasing games. If R-Type Final 2 and Cybershadow are as good as they look the library is going to start knocking on the PS1 door imo.

None of those are exclusive though. They're awesome games but you can get similar or better experience on any other console or PC currently. So that's why I don't think the library is as strong as say the Switch which actually has exclusives for it.

PS2 on the other hand has heaps of exclusives that you couldn't get anywhere else at the time and were heaps of fun.

Events Team · Posted
4 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

You have to ignore a substantial portion of the library to believe this statement.  The Indie scene is about as big on the PS4 as it's been on all other consoles combined.  None of those games would fit your description, and yet most of them are a lot of fun to play.  

I can appreciate that.  I don't know what it is beyond that though.  Nothing has really hit me as exceptional in the last few years. Probably just got old.

2 hours ago, Shmup said:

None of those are exclusive though. They're awesome games but you can get similar or better experience on any other console or PC currently. So that's why I don't think the library is as strong as say the Switch which actually has exclusives for it.

PS2 on the other hand has heaps of exclusives that you couldn't get anywhere else at the time and were heaps of fun.

As a rule of thumb I exlude pc's from these debates. If you had to ask me why I would say: a. Computer games can play differently from one computer to the next, b. a computer has to be maintained so a game may not play the same on the same pc over time, and c. computers have different life cycles than consoles so they are not even comparisons.

And even though many of the indie games are avail. on the switch although not all  only the PS4 allows you to switch from Triple A giant games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Ghosts of Tsushima, Bloodborne, God of War, etc. to the vast selection of Indie games. I didn't mention the PS4 triple A games or sandbox games because I haven't played them yet - those are thr last games I will be playing.

Edit: Some of the Indie games on PS4 and not on Switch Maldita Castilla, Nex Machina, Shadow Complex, Deadlight Director's Cut, Battle Garegga, Ketsui Deathtiny, Skyforce Anniversary reloaded (physical).

Edited by Californication

9 hours ago, fox said:

What’s insane is right now is more people have played 3DO than PS4 according to the number of votes.  🤯

3DO has a unique feel to it, much like most all pre-PS2 systems do; PS4, on the other hand, feels (to me) like a super generic modern gaming platform with a library that's probably 90% cross-platform games also available on its rival contemporaries and Steam...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Californication said:

As a rule of thumb I exlude pc's from these debates. If you had to ask me why I would say: a. Computer games can play differently from one computer to the next, b. a computer has to be maintained so a game may not play the same on the same pc over time, and c. computers have different life cycles than consoles so they are not even comparisons.

And even though many of the indie games are avail. on the switch although not all  only the PS4 allows you to switch from Triple A giant games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Ghosts of Tsushima, Bloodborne, God of War, etc. to the vast selection of Indie games. I didn't mention the PS4 triple A games or sandbox games because I haven't played them yet - those are thr last games I will be playing.

Edit: Some of the Indie games on PS4 and not on Switch Maldita Castilla, Nex Machina, Shadow Complex, Deadlight Director's Cut, Battle Garegga, Ketsui Deathtiny, Skyforce Anniversary reloaded (physical).

Yeah that's a fair point in regards to PC. I have a gaming PC so for me it is all about the exclusives these days, or in the case of multi platform games, do I prefer the Switch portable ability over PC? 9/10 times I go Switch for indies and for AAA I go PC, so that's probably why I barely touch my PS4.

Makes a bit more sense now why people like the PS4 so much.

1 hour ago, Shmup said:

Yeah that's a fair point in regards to PC. I have a gaming PC so for me it is all about the exclusives these days, or in the case of multi platform games, do I prefer the Switch portable ability over PC? 9/10 times I go Switch for indies and for AAA I go PC, so that's probably why I barely touch my PS4.

Makes a bit more sense now why people like the PS4 so much.

Thanks.

The more I think about it, it does kind of hurt the PS4 that so many premium indie are multi-platform.

I don't think the PS4/Switch libraries should get zero credit for the multi-platform games, but maybe each game should be like partial credit. That is kind of the way I look at remasters also, like the Dark Souls Trilogy Remastered, Batman Arkhum Knight, Metal Slug those aren't new to PS, but the PS4 should get some sort of credit for making them physically avail.

Editorials Team · Posted
12 hours ago, Californication said:

Thanks.

The more I think about it, it does kind of hurt the PS4 that so many premium indie are multi-platform.

I don't think the PS4/Switch libraries should get zero credit for the multi-platform games, but maybe each game should be like partial credit. That is kind of the way I look at remasters also, like the Dark Souls Trilogy Remastered, Batman Arkhum Knight, Metal Slug those aren't new to PS, but the PS4 should get some sort of credit for making them physically avail.

2/3 credit for making the game available in handheld form 😏

• Like 1

6 for me. Hard to give anything modern a high score because the systems have so much less personality of their own with all the big games being multiplatform, but PS4 does have some cool exclusives. They’re largely 3D action games which isn’t my main jam though.

Should I lower my score because the PS4 Pro scammed me into buying a console for better performance and tons of games still dip below 30fps?