IGNORED

Game Debate #22: Okami

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

26 members have voted

1. 1. See below for explanation of ratings

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but I'm interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

You know Reed.  It's like I have a 6th sense of when you post these things. I'm often the first voter.  There was one you posted early in the morning one day, and when I got up in the middle of the night, turns out you had posted it only minutes before.

Anyway, this is one of those games that I'd love to play but I know absolutely nothing about it.  I couldn't even tell you which genre it fits in.  I just know a lot of people have played and enjoyed it an the drawn aesthetic looks interesting to me.

I've only played a few minutes to test out the copies I own.  I've always wanted to play this game, but never gotten around to it.  When the HD version for the PS4 came out, I thought that was my best chance to play it, but that's when my TV died and not long after, I disassembled everything to work on my basement.  And now of course it sits unplayed.  

Editorials Team · Posted

I'm ashamed to say I haven't played it.  Probably one of the most notable titles from the last twenty years where that is the case.

I owned it on PS2, but never got around to it.  And then I never owned a PS4 or Wii.  And then I kept waiting and waiting for a Western physical Switch release...

Someday I'll just have to relent and download it.

I think I've played this game through a trio o times now and was sorta considering doing it as well. It is so darn good. Not a short playthrough though, to those curious. You can buy a physical copy on the switch in Japan and then put the language English.

Edited by Nintegageo

Administrator · Posted

Yay 🙂  - No surprise, I gave it a 10.  Not because I think it is a perfect game, but I just love it so much that it is def up there for me.  I think it is really pretty, has great music and style, and is a unique story and experience that I really love.  

I also just have a certain fondness for the shinto themes throughout the game and story.

I can’t even really fully explain WHY I love this game so much, but it just has a special place in my heart 🥰

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
48 minutes ago, glazball said:

I have Okami HD on PS4 but like several of you, I've never gotten around to playing this game (on any console).  This thread has reminded me to fix that and I plan to dig into it soon as I work through my backlog of games.

Well I have a thread in mind for Jan 1st about just such a thing

I started playing Okami years ago (on the Wii) and really enjoyed it but, as sometimes happens, I got distracted/lost steam and never got beyond the first 6-8 hours or so. I picked up the HD version on PS3 several years ago and intend to try to make a complete playthrough...but I haven't committed myself to it. It rather reminded me of a 3D Zelda game (Wind Waker, perhaps?) and the art style was very appealing.