IGNORED

Wata - A year and a half after

TheBiRD

Wata - A year and a half after  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Is Wata a good thing for the hobby?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, MinusWorlds said:

Again, so what? Why is that a problem? Who forced a group of people to pay $100k for a sealed game? I mean if they were forced to do it against their will then yes maybe we should look into that. But, until I see a video with a guy getting slammed in the face repeatedly with a thick ass Wata case until they hand over their wallet I don’t see the point. 

If people drop $25k on a graded game because they want to, let them. Nobody is making them buy them.

The point is it was a publicity stunt and they think people are stupid and don’t realize it.   

Games were selling for over 25k before this...   how much someone is paying isn’t an issue..   

From my stand point, the situation is as follows:

1. I brought it up somewhat on NA, but the whole sticker seals desirability felt forced. Yes, some collectors cared about it before the hype, but I'd reckon that a lot (most?) didn't. To add some perspective to it, I'd reckon that if we currently asked the VGS group if they prefer Greatest Hits or original most would choose original over GH. With the sticker seals, the prefererence was much much smaller group initially, I think.

2. So we already have a feeling that the whole thing is forced, then we see look under the hood and see the so-called incestal relationship between the companies involved. It makes the whole thing feel even more disingenuous.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

From my stand point, the situation is as follows:

1. I brought it up somewhat on NA, but the whole sticker seals desirability felt forced. Yes, some collectors cared about it before the hype, but I'd reckon that a lot (most?) didn't. To add some perspective to it, I'd reckon that if we currently asked the VGS group if they prefer Greatest Hits or original most would choose original over GH. With the sticker seals, the prefererence was much much smaller group initially, I think.

2. So we already have a feeling that the whole thing is forced, then we see look under the hood and see the so-called incestal relationship between the companies involved. It makes the whole thing feel even more disingenuous.

Completely fair. I can get on board with that. I just wouldn’t pin Wata as the culprit. But I certainly see and appreciate the point that things are being jammed down our throats. I don’t like it either. 

7 hours ago, Rman said:

The point is it was a publicity stunt and they think people are stupid and don’t realize it.   

Games were selling for over 25k before this...   how much someone is paying isn’t an issue..   

No I don’t think they think people are stupid at all. IMO it was marketing, that’s it. I believe the goal was to attract new collectors (I could be wrong) and it clearly worked. 

I could certainly be wrong but that was my take. I don’t think the target audience was us. We’re all much too savvy and good looking to fall for that. 

9 hours ago, Rman said:

“Publicity stunt” usually means something done only for the publicity.    While there is no doubt there was a publicity angle to it, remember that the vendor actually turned down a slightly higher offer for qualitative reasons .   In other words, it was getting sold for six figures no matter what; it was just a question of to whom.    So I wouldn’t call it a stunt, just marketing, similar to what Tom said

Edited by Bronty
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Sell high now and buy low in a few years?

I've sold my CIB collection twice now (due to different circumstances). Each time I've started the ol' collection back up things were more expensive. I would carve a graven image of you, place it in my bathroom and light candles around it if you could tell me with certainty that the NES CIB market will tank in a few years and I can finally afford all the stuff I want 😉 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 11/10/2019 at 10:57 AM, Bronty said:

“Publicity stunt” usually means something done only for the publicity.    While there is no doubt there was a publicity angle to it, remember that the vendor actually turned down a slightly higher offer for qualitative reasons .   In other words, it was getting sold for six figures no matter what; it was just a question of to whom.    So I wouldn’t call it a stunt, just marketing, similar to what Tom said

A brilliant marketing (Insert word here)!! 

scheme, ploy, stunt, angle, campaign, maneuver, strategy, advertisement, trick, tactic, scam....  

pick one.   They all work depending on what side of the fence you are on.   

5 minutes ago, Rman said:

A brilliant marketing (Insert word here)!! 

scheme, ploy, stunt, angle, campaign, maneuver, strategy, advertisement, trick, tactic, scam....  

pick one.   They all work depending on what side of the fence you are on.   

Scam, really?   Please tell me whom is defrauded.   Tell me precisely who has written a check they didn’t get value for.   These kinds of careless comments are why these conversations bog down and get frustrating .   

Edited by Bronty

On 11/10/2019 at 12:00 PM, m308gunner said:

I've sold my CIB collection twice now (due to different circumstances). Each time I've started the ol' collection back up things were more expensive. I would carve a graven image of you, place it in my bathroom and light candles around it if you could tell me with certainty that the NES CIB market will tank in a few years and I can finally afford all the stuff I want 😉 

I wouldn't say tank, but definitely cool off from these anomaly highs we've seen that don't make sense (fucking Golf).  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

I wouldn't say tank, but definitely cool off from these anomaly highs we've seen that don't make sense (fucking Golf).  

The holy Grail of the NES... sticker sealed Golf.

I never knew how much I wanted one until I was informed it was so sought after, thanks internet!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Bronty said:

Scam, really?   Please tell me whom is defrauded.   Tell me precisely who has written a check they didn’t get value for.   These kinds of careless comments are why these conversations bog down and get frustrating .   

The collecting community was scammed out of our nintendoage. 

I think I hit a nerve...

Btw I was talking about the marketing.. not the sale...   

Edited by Rman

On 11/9/2019 at 11:44 AM, MinusWorlds said:

Understood. I’m not trying to build-up Wata at the expense of VGA and I agree there’s no place for that.  

When it comes to VGA issues I do know the facts. I posted about the Q issue with VGA on NA and people lost their minds claiming I didn’t bring evidence to the table and implied I was lying or just trying to knock VGA. That’s fine. I’ve had the “evidence” for awhile and honestly didn’t care enough to drag up that body just to prove a point. 

However, when I constantly gotta hear about that stupid Wata Jaws game and not hear about VGA’s flaws I thought it would be a good time to revisit that, but provide the evidence people wanted. I did that. The evidence I provided is irrefutable and clear. Had people not been screaming about that damn Jaws I would have been content sticking to the main talking points. But, when people have to repeatedly bring up silly talking points just to bring down Wata I’m going to respond with some leveling of the playing field. Because I believe we can have 2 grading companies do well in this hobby. And I sincerely hope that continues but it’s very important to know the pros and cons of each. 

But don’t VGA or Wata have a margin of error in there grading? 3-4 exemples here and there for one or the other compagnie. I guess the % of error is still good.

So I'll say it since it hasn't been pointed out yet, but this scenario only works if Jeff is actuslly a "director" or "manager" (or someone with a financial stake in WATA). He purchases Dain's collection, then proceeds to get everything graded as part of the "Carolina Collection". Does no one see a potential problem with this? He makes the purchase then everything gets immediately graded. Could this be part of the reason why WATA is so backed up? 

Additionally I also agree that pedigrees for video games are dumb. Going by the definition of a pedigree for comics, they only consist of Golden Age or Silver Age comics in High Grade, include long runs with all the keys, and were all owned by the original owner who bought them off the rack. Is there a definition of a pedigree for games or am I missing something? Cause all I see when I see "Carolina Collection" is a dude bought stuff second hand over the years and put it in his house. They were in good shape, and owned by the guy who founded a website. He was not the original owner. (Unless I am mistaken on that)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Prime2099 said:

So I'll say it since it hasn't been pointed out yet, but this scenario only works if Jeff is actuslly a "director" or "manager" (or someone with a financial stake in WATA). He purchases Dain's collection, then proceeds to get everything graded as part of the "Carolina Collection". Does no one see a potential problem with this? He makes the purchase then everything gets immediately graded. Could this be part of the reason why WATA is so backed up? 

Additionally I also agree that pedigrees for video games are dumb. Going by the definition of a pedigree for comics, they only consist of Golden Age or Silver Age comics in High Grade, include long runs with all the keys, and were all owned by the original owner who bought them off the rack. Is there a definition of a pedigree for games or am I missing something? Cause all I see when I see "Carolina Collection" is a dude bought stuff second hand over the years and put it in his house. They were in good shape, and owned by the guy who founded a website. He was not the original owner. (Unless I am mistaken on that)

you are not wrong and i have made both of those points repeatedly. nothing we can do about it though. they're trying to hustle outside money and most of us have no leverage against that.

• Like 2

Prime:   Kenneth’s background is coins and as I understand it there is no requirement in coins that it be anything other than a notable collection for any reason.    They are taking that approach or if you look at it from a comics POV melding the ‘collection of’ and ‘pedigree’ concepts into a single concept

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

Prime:   Kenneth’s background is coins and as I understand it there is no requirement in coins that it be anything other than a notable collection for any reason.    They are taking that approach or if you look at it from a comics POV melding the ‘collection of’ and ‘pedigree’ concepts into a single concept

Got it. I'm not familiar with how other hobbies do pedigrees or collections so that makes sense. Still not a fan though.