IGNORED

Game Debate #13: Crash Bandicoot

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

49 members have voted

1. 1. See below for explanation of ratings

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but I'm interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Playstation trophy/mod/game extraordinaire my ass

Crash Bandicoot doesn't have trophies broheem.

But yes. It is indeed a disgrace of mine. I just never played em. I wasn't big into platformers during the PS1 era. I was more into horror, shooters, and RPGs.

• Like 2

5/10

The camera just doesn't work in this game IMO. It's an interesting attempt to figure out platform games for the time it was released, but there's a reason every platformer ripped off Mario 64 and not Crash Bandicoot tunnel running and 3D/2D stages. The dungeons full of traps and all are fun though, the level design is good considering I don't like the core concept of the gameplay. The game also somewhat understands its limitations and doesn't have weird precise jumps, basically every jump in the game you just make at full speed as far as I remember.

I also like how it punishes you at the end unless you're literally perfect. I probably would've liked this game more as a kid just because I'd have to replay levels over and over to get them all perfect.

• Like 1

Crash 2 is definitely an improvement, but I still consider the original to be the second best Crash game.  I've played through it many times and I try to beat it at least once per year.  Beating this game at 100% is extremely hard.  I've only done it once.  100% game completion on Crash 2 is super easy compared to Crash 1.

If you haven't played this game before and you are thinking about trying it out, make sure you play the original and not the terrible remake for the PS4.  The graphical updates on the remake look nice, but the controls are some of the worst on the system.  Unfortunately, the controls on the remake are too sloppy for a game that requires such precision in some of the later levels.  

• Like 2

Homebrew Team · Posted

I thought Crash Bandicoot was going to be more loved then the voting it showing thus far.  IMO it is a great game, maybe that is nostalgia, even though I still play it to this day.  I guess this is what it feels to be on the other side of the Donkey Kong Country opinion, because I never got it to DKC. 

• Like 1

One of my favorite games of all time. One of the hardest 3D platformers. The only thing better than the original is the N Sane Trilogy. For those that find the original too hard for lack of save points, the N Sane Trilogy gives it a little quality of life adjustments. This game is iconic to me, even if Crash didn't keep his reputation going all these years, but seems to be making a comeback in recent times (Crash 4 in October!!) I wouldn't say this is my favorite franchise of all time...but it's close! (Also happy my game was chosen as #13, my lucky number. 😉)

10/10 for Crash for me. 

• Like 1

The first game is brutal and I think that's why I like it so much. When I first played it back in the day I only got maybe 6 or 7 levels in before calling it quits because it really tried my patience. I avoided the series for many years because of it. When the N Sane Trilogy came out I decided to give it another shot. Ended up not only beating all 3 but getting the platinum trophy on PS4 which is something I don't typically do. And I went back to the original PS1 versions, played those through, loved the hell out of them. And there is something incredibly satisfying about revisiting games you once found super hard and decided you'll never play again and then going back to them years later, and able to breeze through them without much difficulty at all.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

I gave it a 7.  I definitely enjoyed it quite a bit back in the day, and it was a unique take on a platform style game - I hadn't really played one in that gameplay style, so it was cool.  I also really like the goofiness and the character designs, etc.  It is classic for me, and definitely some strong nostalgia and memories of early PlayStation days.  I enjoyed replaying some of them with the switch ports - brought back some great memories 🙂

• Like 1

I've never understood the comparison to Mario 64.  They are two completely different types of 3D platformers.  Mario 64 is more of an open environment while Crash is on a specific pathway.  Some of the later PS2 Crash games used the Mario 64 template, but not the original.  

I was also a little thrown off by the camera complaints.  Before this thread, I've never heard anyone complain about the camera in Crash 1.  The camera simply follows the player.  Nothing more is needed.  

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

I've never understood the comparison to Mario 64.  They are two completely different types of 3D platformers.  Mario 64 is more of an open environment while Crash is on a specific pathway.  Some of the later PS2 Crash games used the Mario 64 template, but not the original.  

I was also a little thrown off by the camera complaints.  Before this thread, I've never heard anyone complain about the camera in Crash 1.  The camera simply follows the player.  Nothing more is needed.  

The perspective can sometimes make it difficult to gauge jumps much like an isometric platformer. It's not that big of a deal.

• Like 1

Struggled between a 4-5 on this, did the 4.  The game is just not very fun to me.  I've tried all 3 of them on the re-release, but dabbled a light bit in the past.  The forced perspective into the camera never seemed to play right to me having some bad sense of depth causing so many unnecessary cheap hits and deaths, pit deaths too.  The environment, fun, the rest of it, actually looked great had it not been on a rail and allowed to move about like Spyro or Mario.  The first game was very hard, the 2nd was the best balanced high point, and 3rd I felt was a fall backwards and just boring compared.  Titles since, didn't care, including the GBA style stuff too.

• Like 1