IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Tetris

BeaIank

15 minutes ago, Sumez said:

That's exactly what I'm saying though. 🙂
Level 18 is perfectly playable without solid DAS control, but you're gonna have trouble if your stack gets high. On level 19 you won't survive for long without good DAS control, and you definitely won't be able to get more than a couple of tetrises off.
If you want to survive level 29, DAS is 100% useless. It's exclusively possible using either hypertapping, or a prepared center well stack, which might just be able to survive 10 lines, but no more than that.

Thought that the guys that functionally play at level 29+ use DAS + hypertapping, to benefit from the "lead off" that DAS provides. 

Edited by arch_8ngel

14 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I think the hyper tappers can get away with sloppier stacking at 19.

The people that reliably hyper-tap don't need to get away with sloppier stacking because they're already awesome at the game...

(also their idea of a "sloppy" stack and your or my idea are going to be a bit different, since I've seen those guys pull off some crazy flip-into-place moves that I didn't even know were possible -- like one of Thor's recoveries in EOO)

37 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Thought that the guys that functionally play at level 29+ use DAS + hypertapping, to benefit from the "lead off" that DAS provides. 

There's something commonly referred to "extended tap" which basically means DAS almost to where you need the piece, and then tap into the final column, since you can reliably do that faster than the DAS repeat (as opposed to true hypertapping, which involves doing that repeatedly). It's not an easy thing to pull off, but it's feasible to do for DAS players (I don't think hypertappers rely on it too often though?) and it can be a game changer, and is often seen in some amazing stunts during top CTWC matches. Greentea especially does it often, and he's a pure DAS player.

There are a lot of hypertappers that do rely on DAS frequently to relax on the tapping whenever it isn't necessary. The problem with switching between them however, is that as long as you're hypertapping, you'll lose the DAS charge, and the only way to get it back is a wall charge, if you aren't playing at a level where you have the time to just charge it normally. So you need to be really conscious about it.

I've actually run into more than a few hypertappers who aren't even aware of how the game's odd DAS mechanics work, which means they could never rely on it even if they wanted to.

9 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm glad that I give you a purpose in life. I'm sure that I could beat you, but I'd rather let you keep thinking that you are better than me.

It's pretty crazy that your score is only fifth place. 350k score was fourth place in the previous Tetris contest.

Events Team · Posted

High level Tetris is a thing of beauty to watch.
So many different techniques and layers of strategy employed to keep scoring tetrises.
I love watching the CTWC!

Just thinking about the CTWC makes me think that I went too soft on you all with this week rules.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

So many different techniques and layers of strategy employed to keep scoring tetrises.

Just thinking about the CTWC makes me think that I went too soft on you all with this week rules.

Participation should have been at least 100k.

8 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

I'm not the best player, but I'm a total Tetris nerd. I love CTWC and watching high level Tetris on Youtube/Twitch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BortLicensePlate said:

Played for a couple hours last night and didnt beat my score. We have until sunday right?

Join the club. I always have a bad misdrop or severe drought that wrecks my run when I'm on good pace. It's like the game knows when I'm doing well and then decides to just give me horrible pieces from then on.

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, docile tapeworm said:

@JamesRobot @Richardhead @SuperJimtendo @Murray

my dad is in colorado right now... semd me this pic... says "its cheap" i say "colombian fold?" he says "oh yes"..

A8898412-2478-4365-8B38-799A9C9560B2.jpeg

God damn hippie pot tourists.  Quit bringing that Florida COVID into my state!  Get your own damn legal weed.

Edited by JamesRobot
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

Join the club. I always have a bad misdrop or severe drought that wrecks my run when I'm on good pace. It's like the game knows when I'm doing well and then decides to just give me horrible pieces from then on.

It's like you completely forget how to play the damn game for a bit. It's hard to get back in the groove of it