IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Tetris

BeaIank

Graphics Team · Posted

Yeah my plan of attack is to work on building up 4 high, as flat as possible to accommodate most pieces. Once I hit 4 high, favor the left side when you're stacking but still keep it kinda flat, or a gentle slope, with a 2 wide gap at the far right. The 2 wide gap like @Sumez mentioned, is great for dumping a piece you dont have a spot for but also very easy to burn some lines the during a drought. You have to be comfortable burning as much as necessary until the I piece comes. I know I used to always worry about taking a loss on points but it's better to survive while you have too. Once you're good with that it's just consistency and execution.

Until level 19 of course which is balls.

• Haha 1

Editorials Team · Posted
38 minutes ago, Sumez said:

(ideally, keep a column open on the far right side, no time to explain why)

Thanks for this, I remember there being some very subtle advantages based on where pieces start at the top and how they rotate. Good info!

Graphics Team · Posted
30 minutes ago, Splain said:

Thanks for this, I remember there being some very subtle advantages based on where pieces start at the top and how they rotate. Good info!

The idea is the long bar is 4 blocks wide (even number) when it appears. Since it starts as an even width, the centre is not a block, but it needs to rotate on a block. So it has to favor one side when you rotate it. It happens to be the right side that it favors

IMG_20200802_214205.thumb.jpg.1917a7b15c0be0eac6c3e12cc4b89499.jpg

Just in the nick of time. (lol at that lv 19 163k score) 

So close to 200k

This is the first time I've had a level change on 15. I topped out pretty quickly afterwards. Unfortunately, my game wasn't particularly clean beforehand. 

This was a pb by 2k. I never really played much NES tetris (at least compared to a lot of you guys). So there goes my lead in the puzzle category. I'll consider myself lucky if I get more than 3 points by the time this week is over. 

Edited by 0xDEAFC0DE

On 7/26/2020 at 2:19 PM, mbd39 said:

I'll be overtaking poor skinny on the leaderboard if he doesn't post a great score this week. Come on, skinny, you can do it.

On 7/26/2020 at 2:21 PM, Bearcat-Doug said:

Skinny has been slacking more than usual lately.

On 7/26/2020 at 2:25 PM, Richardhead said:

Guys been buying a house. Pay attention!

On 7/26/2020 at 2:27 PM, mbd39 said:

But skinny might put off the whole house thing in order to grind some Tetris. He won't be able to resist the greatest NES game.

On 7/26/2020 at 2:35 PM, Bearcat-Doug said:

That's no excuse. He hasn't posted a score in a month or so and he only puts about 5 minutes in anyway.

On 7/26/2020 at 3:02 PM, Richardhead said:

When I was buying a new place, I didn’t have time or money to do jack shit. Other than work. 

On 7/26/2020 at 3:07 PM, Bearcat-Doug said:

I don't plan on buying a house. It would cut into my sports/gaming time.

On 7/26/2020 at 3:16 PM, bertsampson said:

Time management.  In 2019, I sold my house, bought a house, and finished first in the VGS NES Tournament.  The secret is to not sleep.

guys guys guys! there isnt another good game on the schedule until tgl and then zombie nation.

mbd. what place am i (will i be) in?

bearcat. i just bought a house! pay attention!

richie. thank you.

wampson. you and barney ruble been playing nes games so long you can probably do it in your sleep. 

btw temp game room...

2652C81A-A42F-4D13-AD02-91732904BACF.jpeg

B17D8DF0-AD63-463B-B453-222BBDBE48F7.jpeg

D3162251-ED08-4C1A-A3C4-A151C629903B.jpeg

B2BD13F8-2A7B-4582-8003-2AC1E73BC438.jpeg

Edited by docile tapeworm
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, ninjistar said:

You should buy some of those sticky-on-top, felt on the bottom pads to protect your floor!  You'll need sooooo many.  BTW, house looks fresh so far!

thanks ninji! it feels pretty good. the plan is to re do the floors and paint the walls so ill keep the pads in mind then. 

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
1 hour ago, ChickenTendas said:

3ds is still packed up so I'm playing on Grandma's computer XD

I didn't realize how bad I was at NES Tetris; I definitely need more practice at this game.

Edit: This is my first Weekly Contest submission ✌

20200730_110846.jpg

ruh roh, need ur vgs username in the pic buddy!!!!  I vote since its a low score it counts tho.  unless he updates it with a newer pic with a better score, but let the poor boy in 🙂  Look at all the others @ChickenTendas they have the username in their pic on a piece of paper 

14 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

guys guys guys! there isnt another good game on the schedule until tgl and then zombie nation.

Mappy's pretty fun, actually. it's a shame that it didn't get a US release. Kiwi Kraze might be fun, I've never played it.

BTW congrats on the new house!

• Thanks 1