IGNORED

Your Favorite Game.... That You've Never Beat?

jonebone

A twist on the prior thread of favorite game ever.  What about a game that you really love, yet have never beaten it?  Or maybe you only beat it with cheat codes / save state emulator / etc.  Without derailing the topic about what does it mean to "beat a game", we'll play the the honor system here and you guys know what I mean.

It's probably Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! for me.  I didn't own it as a kid, only got to borrow it from a friend.  So much fun to play casually.  As an adult I know I made it to Tyson but don't recall ever beating him.  And I think that would be a memory worthy event so I recognize I probably never did.  And that's a top 5 NES game for me, no doubt.

Another one, from the collector perspective is maybe Resident Evil 1 / 2.  I like collecting those games but never beat one until RE4 on Gamecube.  But that was because I never owned a PS1 as a kid, and only casually played them at a friend's house.  I'm not a big horror guy either, so while I like them as a collector, they aren't games I've beaten.

What about you?

• Like 1

Interesting question. I'd have to say Sonic 2. I've beaten the game using level select codes but never beat it all in one go, so it doesn't really count in my book.

Another one is Gun.Smoke. I never even got beyond the 2nd stage until 2 years ago lol.

There aren't too many modern titles for me. As I said in another thread I tend to beat most games I start these days. I think the most "modern" one is Rogue Squadron 2 for Gamecube, but that is definitely on my shortlist to go back and beat soon.

2 minutes ago, ZBomber said:

Interesting question. I'd have to say Sonic 2. I've beaten the game using level select codes but never beat it all in one go, so it doesn't really count in my book.

Another one is Gun.Smoke. I never even got beyond the 2nd stage until 2 years ago lol.

There aren't too many modern titles for me. As I said in another thread I tend to beat most games I start these days. I think the most "modern" one is Rogue Squadron 2 for Gamecube, but that is definitely on my shortlist to go back and beat soon.

Your GunSmoke comment got me thinking...

Can you beat Duck Hunt?  That's a fave of mine but I don't think I've ever beaten that either.  I've only played it in 5 / 10 minute spurts but it's a fun pick up and play game.  My kids love it on the Playchoice-10 too. 

Editorials Team · Posted

As a teenager I had a nasty habit of reaching the end of games and just never finishing them. Ocarina of Time, Minish Cap, Banjo-Kazooie, and others, I have save files that are right up to the final boss, and for whatever reason I just never felt like sitting down and finishing them off. For games that didn't have batteries, there were lots that I'd just fire them up, play what I could, and turn it off, never really trying to push through the hard parts. Luckily that hasn't turned out to be an indicator of my work ethic in real life... heh... looks over at my huge pile of unfinished projects

Favorite though? Possibly Micro Machines 64. Great game for messing around, fun multiplayer, I just never actually tried to beat the single player.

I would have said SMB2 right up until a while back when someone did a thread in NA for beating the 30 games included in the NES Classic mini. Childhood avenged..

• Like 1

Just now, Splain said:

As a teenager I had a nasty habit of reaching the end of games and just never finishing them. Ocarina of Time, Minish Cap, Banjo-Kazooie, and others, I have save files that are right up to the final boss, and for whatever reason I just never felt like sitting down and finishing them off. For games that didn't have batteries, there were lots that I'd just fire them up, play what I could, and turn it off, never really trying to push through the hard parts. Luckily that hasn't turned out to be an indicator of my work ethic in real life... heh... looks over at my huge pile of unfinished projects

Favorite though? Possibly Micro Machines 64. Great game for messing around, fun multiplayer, I just never actually tried to beat the single player.

I would have said SMB2 right up until a while back when someone did a thread in NA for beating the 30 games included in the NES Classic mini. Childhood avenged..

Earlier in another thread someone asked about our favorite games.  Of the two I've mentioned, I never finished one of them-- Xenogears.  I enjoyed the story but 95% of the fun for me is the actual game-play.  That last disc is so long and cut-scene driven, towards the end, I always feel like "I see where this is going..." and eventually give up.  I've played quite far into this game many time but... eh.  I never beat it.

1 hour ago, jonebone said:

Your GunSmoke comment got me thinking...

Can you beat Duck Hunt?  That's a fave of mine but I don't think I've ever beaten that either.  I've only played it in 5 / 10 minute spurts but it's a fun pick up and play game.  My kids love it on the Playchoice-10 too. 

Good point, I never really thought about that before. According to wikipedia, it looks like you can go up to Round 99, and if you beat that you get Round 0 which is a kill screen. So if you get that far I'd say that probably counts as "beating it".  Would be interesting to see how quickly the ducks fly in round 99.

I was under the impression Gun.Smoke does have an actual in-game ending on the NES version, but I've never even gotten close so I don't really know for sure.

Judging from the comments, most unfinished good games are either very difficult or extremely long. Well, the latter applies to some of my favorite games as too, namely Breath of Fire I to III. I liked all of them and gave them several attempts over the last one or two decades, but never finished any of them, even though I really enjoyed most of the gameplay experience. And when I stop playing them it's usually near the end or right before the final dungeon. I remember the final dungeon in BoF II being very long and difficult, so I grinded quite a bit until I lost interest.

Also, an honorable mention to Dragon Quest VIII and XI. Both pretty much perfected the classic JRPG formula, but somehow they ended up being boring after a while. I think that in order to keep me engaged for 40, 60, 80 hours or more, an RPG really needs a strong hook. I can forgive a game, if it is maybe lacking in some areas, but there has to be something that stands out, imho.

17 minutes ago, ZBomber said:

Good point, I never really thought about that before. According to wikipedia, it looks like you can go up to Round 99, and if you beat that you get Round 0 which is a kill screen. So if you get that far I'd say that probably counts as "beating it".  Would be interesting to see how quickly the ducks fly in round 99.

I was under the impression Gun.Smoke does have an actual in-game ending on the NES version, but I've never even gotten close so I don't really know for sure.

I’m not counting this as “beating” Duck-Hunt but I recall as a kid there was a Game Genie code where every trigger pull was a hit.  I think I went through all levels and at some point you had to simply pull the trigger about as fast as you could.  So, I don’t think they intended for anyone to get that high.

disclaimer: I did this probably 30 years ago.  My recollection could be fuzzy, but I do remember trying this out with the Game Genie and things got ridiculous.

2 hours ago, Abelardo said:

Lufia 2, the game is awesome, I've started playing twice but for some reason I stopped playing it for an extended period so I forgot what I was doing and gave up entirely.

Oh man.  I totally did that the first time I played it.  THe second time I played it, my dog bumped the console on the floor and my save data was erased.  The third time I played it, I finally beat it.  LOL!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

I tried again this summer after that short Youtube documentary on blindfold Tyson speedrunners came out, then I just felt worse that I couldn't beat him and there was a whole community of people who do it blindfolded.

I know right? I just watched all of summoningsalt's videos and tucked my tail between my legs.