IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Contra Force

BeaIank

9 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I almost posted at one point that is was really cool to blow up the planes, but it doesn't award points. Was I seeing that wrong?

Not the actual airplanes.  The parts where you are on the big plane wings with several engines.  You walk in between them and there's a guy or two on the other side.  You can shoot all the white/grey parts for points.

Events Team · Posted

@Richardhead @bertsampson

Yeah, I get what you guys mean entirely. It happened to other contests in the past, Bad Dudes coming to mind. Truth is that you can't really have a 'no point pressing' rule along with a game mechanics that reward more points by progressing slow rather than fast, and other things of the like. It leaves the player to be paranoid about what is point pressing and what is legit strategy to earn more points out of a single run. Again, this one should have been progression/low score as it would have lifted doubts about what is legit or not.

With that being said, Richard, I think that you should just post your score of 90k and forget about it, cause the fault wasn't on you but on the rules IMO.

I'm not going to make excuses for the mishandling of these rules and also recently those for Mario Bros., Bea and I screwed up, there's nothing else to add. But what I can say is that we will change some things internally in order to avoid these kind of scenarios.

• Thanks 1

Events Team · Posted
4 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

I’ll say it again. I did not take a pic of my higher scores, as I played very early in the week.  I can’t hang with all these ringers week to week anyways😁 Good luck all! 

Sorry, I overlooked that. Can we just count your previous 78k score, though?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

I’ll say it again. I did not take a pic of my higher scores, as I played very early in the week.  I can’t hang with all these ringers week to week anyways😁 Good luck all! 

You can't deprive us of photos of packed bongs and ice cube cds next to NES controllers over this crap. I get why you are pissed and would be too, but not worth quitting over

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

You can't deprive us of photos of packed bongs and ice cube cds next to NES controllers over this crap. I get why you are pissed and would be too, but not worth quitting over

I’ve got plenty of sweet photos to post. I am not pissed at all. Bert is a fucking machine. I won’t take that away.😁

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

I did a few runs tonight and this is where I die every time. I assume you are also dying trying to catch the dropping platform? I dont know how I got passed it the first time. Havent been able to do it again. With the slowdown, you are suspended in the air too long and I seem to land on it right when it starts to blow up. 

This was my first time making it to level 3 on one life. It was my 2nd or 3rd time making it to level 3 overall. I forgot what to do at this spot and died. You have to shoot the top crate, then jump from the bottom one to make it over safely. Had I been able to put a clean run together, I would have likely made it to level 4 somewhere as that's where my max progress had ended. I didn't give this game much attention. It's definitely more enjoyable as you progress, but I _really_ wasn't feeling it. You ended up with a pretty good score! 

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted

While last week Recca's contest was full of high intensity shooting epileptic triggers madness, this week contest's theme was definitely 'slowNESs'. This was the the week you could take a nap while playing and still do okay. But the sleep inducing qualities of Contra Force did not put @bertsampson The Human Cyborg to rest, as he found another way to take the win by beating the game with a 88,240 score. This late entry from our scoreboard leader was much to the disappointment of @Jeevan, who was hiding in the bushes, secretly hoping to grasp a sneaky win with a late silent 81,480 score update, which still hold good for a well deserved 2nd place! In 3rd place comes contest's veteran and 2016 champion @Richardhead, who paved his way all through the week by beating the game with a score of 78,450, which proved vital for standing on the podium as @Gaia Gensouki, powerhouse competitor, came close with a score only 400 points under Richard!

Then comes the guys that despite not beating the game in 1-life, gave honorable efforts! @Kid Dracula, resuming on his great season so far, came in with a 62,420 score, followed by the 50k+ club members @NESfiend and @Bearcat-Doug, the later also resuming his mission of 'not getting in last place' for one more week!

So now, it is time to put Contra Force to bed as we're not going to see that one popping up in the contest for a long while!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, guillavoie said:

So now, it is time to put Contra Force to bed as we're not going to see that one popping up in the contest for a long while!

Too bad. I really liked the game once I got into it and wouldn't have gotten into it without the competition. All you would need to do to fix the rules for next time is make it high score if you don't finish, but low score among those who do. You and bea shouldn't see the choice as a mistake. Just worked out weird

• Like 2

Controversies aside, Contra Force turned out to be a good game.  I had only ever started it before, and after the seeing the slowdown that I had heard about so many times, I shut it off.  It's a shame that not only was it called Contra Force, it clearly wasn't optimized.  A little more work, and not attaching it to the Contra franchise would have made this a much better game.  I did try the game again with the "overclock" settings, and it did make it more enjoyable.  Still plagued with other issues, but all in all a fun game.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
37 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Too bad. I really liked the game once I got into it and wouldn't have gotten into it without the competition. All you would need to do to fix the rules for next time is make it high score if you don't finish, but low score among those who do. You and bea shouldn't see the choice as a mistake. Just worked out weird

It's good to hear as the main reason for running these games as contest is to make people play them! That's why we try new things on every schedule, be it hit or miss. We played this one just one time in the past, very long past! So I'm happy that it was enjoyed, despite the ruling problems. 

I was mainly kidding about putting it to rest, so don't consider it out forever. It will wait for its time to rise again, nothing less, nothing more 🙂

• Like 3

6 hours ago, NESfiend said:

On this note, I thought it was a classy move of @Gaia Gensouki to post a score just under yours when he beat the game. Id be willing to bet he did that on purpose. 

If you had you would have lost that bet. I just tried to make it through the game alive and only later realized that my score was slightly under the one from Richardhead. Soo close! But moments like these make the weekly competitions so memorable.

3 hours ago, NESfiend said:

I agree. It may not be perfect, but it's good to play some different games once in awhile. Otherwise, we would be playing the same games every year.

9 hours ago, NESfiend said:

5 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I agree. It may not be perfect, but it's good to play some different games once in awhile. Otherwise, we would be playing the same games every year.

just blueting out without thought.

progresion. one life. low score. can fix any broken score system?

Edited by 42 foot tapeworm

1 hour ago, 42 foot tapeworm said:

just blueting out without thought.

progresion. one life. low score. can fix any broken score system?

I thought about making that suggestion during the week. The only problem with progression is it won't always be clear from looking. Look at my photo where I died. That same image comes up about five times in the level. Before his last couple updates, Jeevans score was 1k higher than mine and his photo looked the same. There would have been no way to judge from our photos. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I thought about making that suggestion during the week. The only problem with progression is it won't always be clear from looking. Look at my photo where I died. That same image comes up about five times in the level. Before his last couple updates, Jeevans score was 1k higher than mine and his photo looked the same. There would have been no way to judge from our photos. 

Would have weeded out the point racking though, making the game more enjoyable all around. I also wouldn’t be as bitter about ending in 3rd.😜 

• Like 3

Events Team · Posted

I will post the final score tonight.
It is a pity that the rules didn't help with this week. I couldn't fully foolproof them before posting. My fault.
I will kindly ask you all to bring concerns regarding the rules to my inbox so I can act over them quicker.

Thank you all for participating.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the scoreboadd isn't up to date. I think ninjistar late submission in the 30k range kicked you from 8 to 9...

You beat me by 900 points. I was thinking you posted another score. Oh well, I would have had to beat the game to make the top 4 so it was easier to take the easy 3 points by posting a Q Bert score.