IGNORED

Music Debate #66: The Smashing Pumpkins

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

33 members have voted

1. 1. See below for explanation of ratings

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite artists of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking band. Or artist.
    • 8/10 - Great sound, great songs, great albums.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. More than a few songs you like. You'd entertain the thought of seeing them live if they were in the area. Or still alive.
    • 5/10 - They're okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to listen to.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There may be a song or two, or an album that you dig, but you'd rather listen to other stuff.
    • 3/10 - Not very good. You will more likely than not turn the station if they come on the radio.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - In the running for worst artist/musician of all time. You would rather take a cheese grater to your face than listen to this.

8 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

I was about to say hey now they were and still are kicking but in the 90s after Fear of the Dark in ‘92 came the Blaze Bayley years so...fair enough.

I actually thought Blaze wasn't all that bad as a singer, it was just a bad idea to get someone with a low range to replace Dickinson.

26 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

I actually thought Blaze wasn't all that bad as a singer, it was just a bad idea to get someone with a low range to replace Dickinson.

There were definitely some good tunes.  I mean the Clansman is bad ass.  He kind of has a weird computer fetish though.

Edited by Hammerfestus

8 - They are quite unique (Thanks to the particular voice of Billy Corgan) and influential. I did not followed much their career...

Adore is an album that I LOVED from the get go. I did not minded the change of direction, it's quite the opposite then cames Machina which I don't remember much except been disapointed. Did not liked much Siamese Dream neither and I've always found Mellon Collie a bit overated. It got great songs, but it kind of overstays its welcome... I think it could have made a brilliant shorter album. 

Lately, I've discovered Oceania and I was pretty surprised! I've listened the whole cd and I liked it enough to decide to keep it and it gaves me the desire to listen to their 2 last albums that followed it.

Because of the ADORE album and the voice of BC, I've always considerated Smashing Pumpkins one of my musical influence. 

Events Team · Posted

5.  I kinda dig the hits but always thought the albums as a whole were lacking.  If they happen to come on the radio, I'll give em a listen. 

12 hours ago, The Count said:

Billy Corgan has maybe the worst voice for a lead singer of the genre.

I was just thinking this as I was checking out the videos.  Maybe not the literal worst, but he does sound like a whiney little girl.  

16 hours ago, The Count said:

Overrated. I remember that Melancholy and the Infinite Sadness was the best selling double CD at one point and I enjoyed it back then. But they just do not hold up. Billy Corgan has maybe the worst voice for a lead singer of the genre. 3/10.

Everybody bought that album when it came out. It is almost entirely filler. Only four good songs on a double album. 

4/10 I don’t care for most of their catalogue, but the good songs are quite good. 

Honestly, SP is by far my favorite band from the 90s grunge era.  I wouldn't argue that this is grunge though, but I assume they are lumped in with the genre because it's definitely a strong 90s rock sound.

I liked them well enough as a kid, but it wasn't until college when I picked up the guitar that I really appreciated them.  I never found Smashing Pumpkins music that difficult to play, but those original albums from the 90s were amazing and I could listen to all of them on repeat, again and again and I appreciated the full orchestration of each element of the band. They had great songs for the radio and even the music you didn't hear on the radio was excellent.

I gave them a 10.  However... I don't think I could give them that coveted perfect 10 if it wasn't within the context of the 90s.  I really think Billy is a genius but something about his music from the past 15 years or so just feels like it lacks... something?  Creativity? I don't think that's it.  Passion?  Maybe.  Could he be trying to hard for perfection?  Maybe that's it but I don't know.

Anyway, even looking back the one thing that always got a tad on my nerves was Billy's voice.  I can't imagine another voice as a solid lead singer for the band, and it just goes to show that someone like Corgin could have such a legit, "grating" sound to his vocals yet craft music that complements it to a point where it isn't annoying anymore but actually acceptable and even some times "good". 

Regardless, with whatever struggles he's having today to make really amazing music, it's not doing his vocals any justice.  I think their new stuff is alright, but it's not great but the stuff from the 90s is as good as it gets from that era.

4 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

5.  I kinda dig the hits but always thought the albums as a whole were lacking.  If they happen to come on the radio, I'll give em a listen. 

I was just thinking this as I was checking out the videos.  Maybe not the literal worst, but he does sound like a whiney little girl.  

Tonight is especially bad. It's supposed to be pretty sounding and it's ruined by the awfulness of Corgan's voice.

Also seemed like he was trying too hard to pander to 90s alternative teen angst with some of his lytrics. "Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage." "And God is empty just like me." Okay, man.