IGNORED

Look at these prices...unreal right ?

LifeGame

24 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Whoops. Yep, sure did. lol

But really how are we not talking more about how a Little Samson sold for $2,900??

I assumed it would rise to this level seeing Hagane closing in in $1500, and Power Blade 2 hitting $800.  I just did not expect the cart to have visible heat bubbles.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I cannot believe how high Dragon Quest DS games have risen. My wife saw Dragon Quest V Heavenly Bride last year at Walmart for $39.99 retail and did not buy it thinking it was too high for an old DS game.   By the time I raced back for the store it had sold.  Heck, I was willing to pay $80 for sealed copies on EBay over Christmas and was outbid by $1 several times.  Now this game goes for $300+ for sealed copies.  Crazy times we live in.

Administrator · Posted
9 hours ago, Strikezone1 said:

He had to have meant LS. $2,900 for SE would be a steal! 🤣

Still crazy that a LS sold for that much.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Little-Samson-Nintendo-Entertainment-System-1992-Mint-Rare-NES-/333972890358?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

I thought maybe the "April Fools" SE, which $2900 would be insane.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ninja Warriors said:

I cannot believe how high Dragon Quest DS games have risen. My wife saw Dragon Quest V Heavenly Bride last year at Walmart for $39.99 retail and did not buy it thinking it was too high for an old DS game.   By the time I raced back for the store it had sold.  Heck, I was willing to pay $80 for sealed copies on EBay over Christmas and was outbid by $1 several times.  Now this game goes for $300+ for sealed copies.  Crazy times we live in.

I'm glad you brought this up because I've been looking for somewhere to vent about this. 

I've been wanting to get all the DQ games (minus 10) on portables for a while... kinda gave up on getting Dragon Warrior 1-2 and 3 on GBC both CIB, but I did get the new port of all 3 on Switch. I had picked up DQ XI on Switch and managed to get DQ IX, VIII, & VII on DS and 3DS. Last few to go after were IV, V, and VI. A year ago, VI was going for $120 CIB while IV and V were going for $80. Trying to be smart, I decided to go after VI first, then IV and V. After a big price spike it was looking like it was going to be difficult but then I managed to find VI at a video game store for $129 and I recently managed to get IV in a trade at a similar value. So I figured, not so bad, only V is left. Well honestly what the heck happened? V is now going for more than VI. V is somehow the most expensive of the set on DS. Why? It's so wild. And it's the only one I still don't have. 

p.s. and the reason I didn't just buy all 3 at market value a year ago when it would have cost me about $280 to get the set all CIB, is because I am kind of stubborn about paying market value for games that aren't rare. It's Dragon Quest, I'm pretty sure it sold decently well. It seems dumb that DQ V would be going for a similar price as Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ, a game you actually don't see often. So yeah, here I am, with a Zombie BBQ but no DQ V on my shelf. 

Edited by MiamiSlice

25 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

I'm glad you brought this up because I've been looking for somewhere to vent about this. 

I've been wanting to get all the DQ games (minus 10) on portables for a while... kinda gave up on getting Dragon Warrior 1-2 and 3 on GBC both CIB, but I did get the new port of all 3 on Switch. I had picked up DQ XI on Switch and managed to get DQ IX, VIII, & VII on DS and 3DS. Last few to go after were IV, V, and VI. A year ago, VI was going for $120 CIB while IV and V were going for $80. Trying to be smart, I decided to go after VI first, then IV and V. After a big price spike it was looking like it was going to be difficult but then I managed to find VI at a video game store for $129 and I recently managed to get IV in a trade at a similar value. So I figured, not so bad, only V is left. Well honestly what the heck happened? V is now going for more than VI. V is somehow the most expensive of the set on DS. Why? It's so wild. And it's the only one I still don't have. 

p.s. and the reason I didn't just buy all 3 at market value a year ago when it would have cost me about $280 to get the set all CIB, is because I am kind of stubborn about paying market value for games that aren't rare. It's Dragon Quest, I'm pretty sure it sold decently well. It seems dumb that DQ V would be going for a similar price as Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ, a game you actually don't see often. So yeah, here I am, with a Zombie BBQ but no DQ V on my shelf. 

My guess as to why V is the most expensive would be the Dragon Quest Your Story Netflix movie.  It is based on V.

What even is this? The winner is 0 feedback user but 5 different users bid 10k or more, so maybe it's real sale or maybe not:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nintendo-Switch-Mario-Tennis-Aces-VGA-100-GEM-MT-Montana-BLACK-OVP-NEW-/114735579078

So the 100 grade is cool and all but the game is not too special and the signature is from some German e-celeb streamer. This video was posted before but this is the guy whose signature it is (don't know if it's his channel though):

How much some nutter would pay, if PewDiePie's signature was plastered on some sealed game? Some autographs can be cool or even valuable but who cares when it's from some person with no association with the product and even with association it can be a bummer on the value.

The seller has really stocked up on graded stuff too - I bet there is a good amount of speculators with similar hoards to his or even bigger:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item=114735579078&nma=true&nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&si=tBA2%2Fi%2FbjVxom9h8ruF0GqtQiSo%3D&hash=item1ab6c5ffc6%3Ag%3AT2cAAOSw-HBgV1Wp&_ssn=besonders4youeser&_sop=3

It's a funny contrast with people paying high prices while not being able to know how much supply there roughly is.

Edited by sp1nz
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ninja Warriors said:

Yeah, it's pretty funny that this happened because you used to be able to get them from the SE store for about $20 each. I have a few of them still sealed. In terms of rarity, I'd say VI > V > IV. V used to be extremely rare shortly after it came out, then it got a reprint around 2011 or 2012 and the price tanked. But it looks like V is the most expensive once again.

30 minutes ago, sp1nz said:

What even is this? The winner is 0 feedback user but 5 different users bid 10k or more, so maybe it's real sale or maybe not:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nintendo-Switch-Mario-Tennis-Aces-VGA-100-GEM-MT-Montana-BLACK-OVP-NEW-/114735579078

So the 100 grade is cool and all but the game is not too special and the signature is from some German e-celeb streamer. This video was posted before but this is the guy whose signature it is (don't know if it's his channel though):

How much some nutter would pay, if PewDiePie's signature was plastered on some sealed game? Some autographs can be cool or even valuable but who cares when it's from some person with no association with the product and even with association it can be a bummer on the value.

The seller has really stocked up on graded stuff too - I bet there is a good amount of speculators with similar hoards to his or even bigger:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item=114735579078&nma=true&nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&si=tBA2%2Fi%2FbjVxom9h8ruF0GqtQiSo%3D&hash=item1ab6c5ffc6%3Ag%3AT2cAAOSw-HBgV1Wp&_ssn=besonders4youeser&_sop=3

It's a funny contrast with people paying high prices while not being able to know how much supply there roughly is.

That sale is a charity, I think for an animal shelter or two. But yeah I guess someone will pay big money for some streamer's autograph on some game. To be fair, some of these streamers are just as famous as any movie star or famous singer that we all recognize. Maybe more famous to a generation that will watch Twitch as much as they will watch movies or concerts. 

As for that seller being stocked up on stuff, yeah. Some people were smart enough to stock up. There's also this factor that as alternatives to eBay have become established and a good amount of transactions are happening on sites like Mercari, FB Marketplace and buy/sell groups, various auction houses including HA and CC, even on Amazon, etc. it has created this weird impression that certain games are now "hard to find" only because fewer copies are being sold via eBay. You have certain games that there will be only one sealed copy on eBay but then there's one on Mercari, a few popping up in FB buy/sell groups and then maybe there's a graded one on HA. Just something I noticed. People talk a lot about "perceived scarcity" but they usually mean "what I can find on eBay right now" which seems like a silly way to look at it. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

That sale is a charity, I think for an animal shelter or two. But yeah I guess someone will pay big money for some streamer's autograph on some game. To be fair, some of these streamers are just as famous as any movie star or famous singer that we all recognize. Maybe more famous to a generation that will watch Twitch as much as they will watch movies or concerts. 

You're right, the price makes sense with that charity cause. Even though celebrities autographs can add value - it's still not on every piece by any celebrity, like Bruce Willis signing Die Hard Trilogy or something would add value I think, if Michael Jackson had signed Sonic the Hedgehog 3 during his lifetime then that would be wow-factor for many potential buyers - but let's say Will Smith signs a sealed Super Mario Bros. then that's just random and will most likely hurt the value a lot instead but I guess that too depends.

14 hours ago, sp1nz said:

This guy showed out of nowhere this year.  He's a collector and pays boatloads for stuff, seems quite loaded.  With some N64 games and Pokemon especially, he's paying high 5 figures and I'm sure into 6 at some point.

So, he's really more or less churning out the lower level stuff to make room for newer stuff I'm sure.  Typical evolution of a lot of collectors with money... you come in guns blazing and buy, buy, buy, but eventually you have to unwind a little bit.

As for the signature, it's on the poly bag and not the game or case.  Take it off an throw it away if you wish, it's not altering the item and it's more or less a provenance thing. He's apparently quite a huge deal in Germany.  

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

WTF? I have one sealed... maybe it's time to liquidate that Wii U collection to fund heavy hitters...

Seems like it could be an anomaly but there are none listed on eBay.ca anymore. I see another sold recently for about 400, so not completely out of the question I guess. Funny because I remember reselling a few of these and couldn't even get rid of the few I had at one point. I think I actually returned it to the store just to avoid the hassle of scalping it. 

• Like 1

Another Nes sealed The Goonies sold for an insane $6,500. This one is even the later print white seal version. I guess craziness and nostalgia have combined to make this a very sought after sealed game. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233995697125?hash=item367b3afbe5%3Ag%3A14AAAOSwXLFgkdrN&nma=true&si=mdOX%2BnMVPOWLIXF1d8vkNA2fV34%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

• Like 1

Don't know about you people, but I'm actually starting to see stuff cool off a bit, especially in the realm of **SUPER RARE!!1*** pokemon games. I was priced out of a bunch gba titles like a month or two ago, most notably LeafGreen reached like $120 in auctions which is unbelievable. Now I see $95 BINs sitting there for a couple of days with no buyers. Hopefully partial sanity will be restored soon.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, sg17 said:

Don't know about you people, but I'm actually starting to see stuff cool off a bit, especially in the realm of **SUPER RARE!!1*** pokemon games. I was priced out of a bunch gba titles like a month or two ago, most notably LeafGreen reached like $120 in auctions which is unbelievable. Now I see $95 BINs sitting there for a couple of days with no buyers. Hopefully partial sanity will be restored soon.

I follow box sales, not carts, but there has been a bit of variability this last week, yeah. I saw some fairly soft prices on Tuesday. A Blue and Red CIB went for 900+ each today though, and there's been a FireRed for $500 and i think a fairly high Yellow sale, so it's not clear. Seems like prices can really vary from listing to listing for similar quality with no super clear rationale right now.

Edit: note people are definitely paying for condition even just for carts. Cleaner labels cost more.

Edited by AdamW
  • Like 2

The Pokemon stuff is definitely overvalued right now in my opinion. Maybe an offset of the card craze and Pokemon snap etc. 

I sold a few pokemon games last month and they were gone instantly and now I'm seeing a few sit for the same price. Agreed, that condition is still king. 

• Like 1

I think Pokemon gen I-III are overpriced by comparison to most other GB/GBC/GBA games (it makes little sense that Pokemon CIBs are selling for more than CIB Demikids Dark, for instance)...but OTOH, I think it's possible that if you take a long term view and compare with prices for various hard-case generation games, CIB GB/GBC/GBA is undervalued in general right now. So it's a tricky spot. It's possible the Pokemon games are closer to where GB/GBC/GBA prices might stabilize in the long term than other games are.

That said, I ain't buying at $900 😛 In an example of current variable pricing, I did pick up a very specific Blue CIB I was looking for for $275 yesterday. Same day that https://www.ebay.com/itm/124698585973?nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true went for $985. Still, that one did come with a fancy acrylic case, and we all know those are worth $700!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, AdamW said:

I think Pokemon gen I-III are overpriced by comparison to most other GB/GBC/GBA games (it makes little sense that Pokemon CIBs are selling for more than CIB Demikids Dark, for instance)...but OTOH, I think it's possible that if you take a long term view and compare with prices for various hard-case generation games, CIB GB/GBC/GBA is undervalued in general right now. So it's a tricky spot. It's possible the Pokemon games are closer to where GB/GBC/GBA prices might stabilize in the long term than other games are.

That said, I ain't buying at $900 😛 In an example of current variable pricing, I did pick up a very specific Blue CIB I was looking for for $275 yesterday. Same day that https://www.ebay.com/itm/124698585973?nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true went for $985. Still, that one did come with a fancy acrylic case, and we all know those are worth $700!

I think GB is very distinct from GBC and GBA.

First, from what I can see there are a lot more cibs out there for GBA, a couple of times I considered getting a cib just because I'm always looking for cart+manual and there were actually much more options for cibs and they tended to cost like getting the cart and the manual separately. Never did it because I don't want it to fill up space and I also don't want to take apart a cib to flip the box.

Second, I think the original gameboy has much more iconic titles. I think most the people who contributed to the rising prices of cibs want to get like two or three games they really like, and not a ton of games. And I think GBC/GBA games tend to be much less iconic then GB games.

• Like 1

Well, what's 'iconic' tends to be a generational thing, of course; as people come into collecting who started on a GBA, the games they played as kids become 'iconic' (man I hate that word :>). GBA has a bigger library so there are fewer significant titles in relation to the whole library, but they are definitely there.

Supply is interesting...I think there's more variance between titles than a clear variance between generations. There are significant GBA games that just didn't get printed in huge quantities, and there are fairly major GB titles out there you can still pick up easily - SML and SML2 are easy ones because they printed gazillions of them, Kirby's Dream Land isn't very pricey...

For Pokemon, the games I track exhaustively are Red/Blue/Yellow, Crystal, FireRed/LeafGreen, and Emerald. Since about November I've logged 326 Blues, 312 Reds, 301 Yellows, 261 FireReds, 274 LeafGreens, 236 Emeralds and 132 Crystals. Of course, I only track eBay and HA, and what people are choosing to sell is not necessarily the same as what is potentially available. But still, there doesn't seem to be a big clear difference between availability of GB and GBA gen games on the current market.

• Like 2