IGNORED

Do you collect anything 'niche' video game-wise?

I like out of the ordinary weird stuff, like the samurai version of the nes (still currently looking to find one, PM if u got one for sale!) . I also really enjoy things that the general public wasnt supposed to have; dev kits, prototypes, store demos/kiosks etc.

Not sure if this counts because it's a one off, but a while ago I wanted to collect every Squaresoft game released in the US before the Enix merger. Well, it turns out that Square licensed Tetris in the 90s and released an LCD Tetris keychain game.

To my knowledge and searching, this is the only item like this. Everything else is pretty standard and the next set of unique items are there first two PC titles, FF VII and FFVIII.

Administrator · Posted

I was a huge fan of Grand Theft Auto memorabilia, but what they've done with V has soured me a bit on the whole franchise (I'm even meh on playing RDR2), so I've been teetering on selling a bunch of it.

Been snagging random stuff related to the Yakuza franchise.   Have some pretty sweet Dead or Alive and Tekken stuff as well.

I collect all Nintendo NFRs/demos for USA and EUR. Nearly a complete set for each Nintendo handheld/console. Just a few more that are super rare/hard to find for each. My 3DS is complete though at least. I do collect display and standees as well. I've got about 40 different Nintendo standees so far, but obviously can't display all at once. 😞 Prototypes too, but I've kinda settled down collecting prototypes for now. Haven't seen any prototypes I'm really interested in recent years. Probably lots of other stuff if it will come to mind. I guess kiosks could be niche? I collect those and got a couple of them.

Edited by Skorp

Guests · Posted

Shantae items and bad games are my two current focuses. The bad games will keep me occupied for a while since there's so many!

Not sure how niche any of it is, but I collect literally everything gamecube. All regions, all variants, all consoles, all controllers, all demos, all memorabilia, ect. I want a complete set of everything possible (even though that's impossible).

Also collect neo geo pocket color which seems like a fairly ignored library.

And I'm trying to own every atlus developed and published game (even the shitty ljn titles they developed lol).

• Like 1

I’m a serious collector for the Mattel Aquarius. I have a full US set, working on the worldwide games/software (cartridges) which are each anywhere from $250 to $450 a piece complete in box (there’s 5 Europe exclusive, have my first in the mail which I paid $330 for) I have a boxed 4-Color Printer which to my knowledge I’ve only seen 5-6 of them. I also have 3 Aquarius-related books which all took me years to find. I have 10 cassettes that are each also pretty difficult to find (not as hard as the European carts though or the 4-Color Printer though). I only need the 4 more carts though and I’ve got a full worldwide set. It’ll probably take me until 2024 to get all four though.

Just started going for a complete sealed Tiger Game.com collection. Was looking at Game.com games on eBay and, I guess due to poor console sales, I noticed that in a lot of cases it's easier/ cheaper to buy factory sealed copies of Game.com games than it is to buy loose carts. There's only 20 games on the whole system and unlike most people I actually have a great deal of nostalgia for the Game.com so I figured it would be fun to go for a full set. Probably the cheapest/ easiest complete factory sealed set you could collect right now, I'd wager. 

I do, but it's probably not all that exotic I suppose, perhaps it is, or perhaps it's just not desirable. 🙂

A month ago I got a Tiger R-Zone for a steal, they're basically the 80s games on little see through carts that project onto a red mirror so it's like a ghetto Virtual Boy, so I'd like more carts for it and they rarely pop up (ebay aside.)  I do have a random small assortment of other late 70s through the 80s handhelds too.

Aside from that and it's getting hipster hot too these days so it's a stretch, but PC Engine stuff, and Neo Geo (which post 1 eluded to already) between MVS carts and I got one of those international minis.  Beyond that I do have some random branded merchandise like an early 80s metal pac-man lunchbox, a couple plush big to small Donkey Kongs (and an unpopped coin bank too), to having retained for years now a SNES hanging original sign for the system with Mario riding Yoshi that's double sided (and still hanging.)

That's really it unless you get into oddities we didn't get like my Gameboy Light, or just the random cross over merchandise from toys-games.

Administrator · Posted
On 3/10/2020 at 11:03 AM, Craigly1234 said:

Not sure how niche any of it is, but I collect literally everything gamecube. All regions, all variants, all consoles, all controllers, all demos, all memorabilia, ect. I want a complete set of everything possible (even though that's impossible).

Also collect neo geo pocket color which seems like a fairly ignored library.

And I'm trying to own every atlus developed and published game (even the shitty ljn titles they developed lol).

I am actually doing the same thing ha! 🙂

I have several hundred at this point (worldwide, not just NA) and there are still tons more I don’t have.  I have some extras, if you happen to have a list of what you need, let me know!

• Like 1

I am (or rather trying to) collecting model kits from various shoot em up games like Darius, Gradius and R-Type when I can snag em before they go mental in prices.  Thus far I have a 1/60 Legend Silver Hawk Burst from Darius  in hand and a 1/144 Vic Viper from Gradius IV inbound and hoping I can snag a pre order for a 1/100 R9 Arrow Head from R-Type and 1/144 Hitekkai Ikaruga Nuribotke from Ikaruga

Edited by MuNKeY
  • Like 1