IGNORED

What's for dinner, what did you cook?

fcgamer

Made curry for dinner last night, it's such an underrated dish in the west imo. Having some leftovers now for lunch.

It doesn't look pretty but it sure is good. Threw in some mackerel as well as some other secret ingredients to really give this a nice flavour.

Paired it with a Brew Lab lager from the local, government owner brewery TTL.

It's funny, I like to believe that this beer was the direct result of what happened several years earlier, when I had visited the brewery in person.

I was chatting with a local guy at the sampling station about beer production, as I used to be into homebrewing. The guy asked what I thought of the two TTL beers at the time, Gold Medal and Classic, and I said that although more than drinkable, I also felt they were a bit "weak" for my taste, preferring a quality German lager to that, and strong beers / craft beers to German lagers. I then asked if I could see the operations, and he took me on a special tour of the place - the girl who I was dating at the time was shocked, she was with us and had been to the brewery several times, but never got this tour!

Eventually we made it up to the guy's office to chat some more, and to drink. As it turns out, the guy was the head production manager as well as the quality control guy, not just a server!

So everytime I drink (or even see) the Brew Line series, I have to laugh. It's easily the best of their beers, and I often wonder if my uncensored remark help lead to its creation.

IMG20210629130531.jpg

IMG20210629130544.jpg

IMG20210629130630.jpg

IMG20210629130736.jpg

• Like 5

Pro tip: if you want to make Asian rice dishes, buy the rice in proper sacks (not those small boxes we sell in the states), and get a rice cooker. Rinse, throw it in, done in 20 to perfection every time.

Also, ever wonder why the guys in Taiwan or China can cook such a mean fried rice from those dirty food stalls, yet when you try to make it at home, despite tasting good, it doesn't taste nearly as good? You need to get that shit hot!

Crank up the heat, gotta make it in a cast iron pan, something that will get super hot, or it won't taste as good. Also, cook the rice the night before you want to fry/eat it, and refrigerate it overnight. This will also help the taste of your fried rice.

• Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
On 6/29/2021 at 1:30 AM, fcgamer said:

Pro tip: if you want to make Asian rice dishes, buy the rice in proper sacks (not those small boxes we sell in the states), and get a rice cooker. Rinse, throw it in, done in 20 to perfection every time.

Also, ever wonder why the guys in Taiwan or China can cook such a mean fried rice from those dirty food stalls, yet when you try to make it at home, despite tasting good, it doesn't taste nearly as good? You need to get that shit hot!

Crank up the heat, gotta make it in a cast iron pan, something that will get super hot, or it won't taste as good. Also, cook the rice the night before you want to fry/eat it, and refrigerate it overnight. This will also help the taste of your fried rice.

Just saw this, and can confirm - rice cooked the day before is the best for fried rice.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tonight was Moon Festival. It's a Mid-Autumn celebration here in Taiwan, commemorating harvests and stuff. Generally people will meet up with their family or friends to BBQ during this festival.

Unfortunately due the recent covid-19 outbreak in Taipei, consisting of the large number of 15 cases per day, my city cancelled barbecuing, unless it was with the folks that resided in your same house. Oddly enough, the area where outbreaks were occuring, didn't cancel, but the two areas have mayors from different political parties, so we all know what's going on.

This definitely put a big spanner in my plans, but alas, such is life. So I decided to barbecue anyways, with my cat for company.

This wasn't the way that I wanted things to turn out, but covid be damned, it's not going to ruin my holiday. Even got a Sam Adams in there, lol.

Happy Moon Festival everyone!!!

IMG20210921223456.jpg

IMG20210921223453.jpg

IMG20210921223505.jpg

IMG20210921224548.jpg

IMG20210921224317.jpg

IMG20210921224136.jpg

IMG20210921230745.jpg

IMG20210921231458.jpg

IMG20210921232739.jpg

• Love 4

37 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Tonight was Moon Festival. It's a Mid-Autumn celebration here in Taiwan, commemorating harvests and stuff. Generally people will meet up with their family or friends to BBQ during this festival.

Unfortunately due the recent covid-19 outbreak in Taipei, consisting of the large number of 15 cases per day, my city cancelled barbecuing, unless it was with the folks that resided in your same house. Oddly enough, the area where outbreaks were occuring, didn't cancel, but the two areas have mayors from different political parties, so we all know what's going on.

This definitely put a big spanner in my plans, but alas, such is life. So I decided to barbecue anyways, with my cat for company.

This wasn't the way that I wanted things to turn out, but covid be damned, it's not going to ruin my holiday. Even got a Sam Adams in there, lol.

Happy Moon Festival everyone!!!

IMG20210921223456.jpg

IMG20210921223453.jpg

IMG20210921223505.jpg

IMG20210921224548.jpg

IMG20210921224317.jpg

IMG20210921224136.jpg

IMG20210921230745.jpg

IMG20210921231458.jpg

IMG20210921232739.jpg

All you need is your cat. 

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Angry 1

2 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

Your delicious cat.

2 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Well he's my insurance plan, if I ever do run out of food. I think cat meat probably tastes better than cockroaches 😉

1 hour ago, Murray said:

I’d wager that @Estil’s cat is ripe for the pickin’

D146110B-9970-4BF6-B175-735C0E37A920.gif

SHAME ON ALL OF YOU!!  I'm gonna tell your mamas and the Humane Society on you!!! 😡

• Haha 4