IGNORED

General Current Events/Political Discussion

MrWunderful

15 minutes ago, Estil said:

And now that it looks like Joe Biden will be the D's challenger, the most important question by far, more important than all the other ones combined in terms of his candidacy is this (to paraphrase Jesse Ventura's thoughts several years back on Sarah Palin being a possible Presidential contender):

Who is his running mate?  Because Joe won't finish the term! 😛

Under virtually any other circumstance, virtually nobody ever votes for the second guy on the ticket.  But this time, it is a virtual certainty that Joe will not even come close to doing a full term; he may in fact only be able to do the first few months!  So this time it is vitally important more than for any other major Presidential candidate in history to choose a really good running mate, because it is a virtual certainty that he/she will be the President at some point during Biden's term!  It's not a question of if, but when.

🤔

Is that a threat? 😮

FBI on standby, SWAT team in position... 👮‍♂️👮‍♀️

4 minutes ago, OptOut said:

🤔

Is that a threat? 😮

FBI on standby, SWAT team in position... 👮‍♂️👮‍♀️

I mean in terms of his mind drifting and all that and being so forgetful all the time and it getting progressively worse all the time.  Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Edited by Estil

Well it could be a situation where the VP and/or the cabinet end up calling a lot of the shots and they prop up President Dementia for the term too.  It wouldn't be entirely unheard of having a puppet president given stroke ridden Wilson basically was bed ridden with his wife locking him away for a long stretch being defacto president calling the shots which was amazing.

12 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Well it could be a situation where the VP and/or the cabinet end up calling a lot of the shots and they prop up President Dementia for the term too.  It wouldn't be entirely unheard of having a puppet president given stroke ridden Wilson basically was bed ridden with his wife locking him away for a long stretch being defacto president calling the shots which was amazing.

It is certainly what we all HOPED would happen with Trump, but he just kept firing anyone around him that made a passable attempt at competence...

You know a few times on here people asked if Donald Trump was worse than President Bush and my answer was always no, because of the Iraq War deaths.

I think today someone might be able to make an argument that Trump is a worse president. Tens of thousands of Americans are going to die because of the way they dismantled the government, removing any protections from the Corona Virus.

And even today more American are dying because the government is literally using government resources to get large supplys of PPE needed to fight covid, and instead of giving them to hospitals, they are giving the supplys to medical supply companys to sell back to who ever will pay the most; foreign or domestic. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Link said:

What is the Coronavirus endgame? 

Here are some ideas for our path out of it.

https://www.vox.com/2020/4/10/21215494/coronavirus-plans-social-distancing-economy-recession-depression-unemployment

It’s a shame I can’t post this in the Coronavirus thread.

I don't know if we really can predict how this will play out and I don't think we really should.  The last thing I want to see is for the cases to start to decline...and then people let their guard down too much and cause the cases to rise again 😞 

1 hour ago, Estil said:

I don't know if we really can predict how this will play out and I don't think we really should.  The last thing I want to see is for the cases to start to decline...and then people let their guard down too much and cause the cases to rise again 😞 

Exactly. There needs to be a strategy. Did you read it? It’s not a prediction. 

• 2 weeks later...

What is the deal with immigrants watching Fox news.

This week I talked to my landlord and then an Uber driver that both were talking about Corona Virus being made in a Chinese lab and Corona Virus being the same as the flu, and so I asked each of them if they watch Fox news. The Uber driver said yes and she was listening to Sean Hannity while we drove. My landlord said no, but he clearly had the same talking points. 

1 hour ago, Californication said:

What is the deal with immigrants watching Fox news.

Yeah God forbid they have minds of their own and might have different preferences than your own *rolls eyes*

And I think they mean it starts with similar flu like symptoms, and if you're lucky that might be all you get.  But as I've gone on record here time and time again, there is also that chance of you not being able to hardly breathe among other things 😞 

Edited by Estil

2 hours ago, Estil said:

Yeah God forbid they have minds of their own and might have different preferences than your own *rolls eyes*

And I think they mean it starts with similar flu like symptoms, and if you're lucky that might be all you get.  But as I've gone on record here time and time again, there is also that chance of you not being able to hardly breathe among other things 😞 

Um, what? There are 750,000 people infected and 40,000 dead (yesterday's numbers I think.) More of the 750,000 infected will die, lets say 55,000.

We have 300,000 million people in this country. If 80% of 300,000,000 were infected, 240,000,000 and the death rate is constant, then 17,600,000 people would die. (55,000/750,000 or 7.9%) * 240,000,000.

You also have to remember that the deathrate would actually go higher because quality of care goes down as capacity increases.

That is not the flu. And the people at Fox telling people to go outside and plat should be broughy up on criminal charges.

Any estimates of the death rate are really up in the air because there are no terribly accurate figures on infection rates.  (Most of the information we have on infection rates reflects those cases actually reported (whether hospitalized or not) or via testing.  There seems to be a really large number of people that either suffer(ed) symptoms so minor as to be not noticed or only manifest enough to resemble a case of the flu - in these cases it is unlikely that people sought medical help so they never get counted.

For example there was this (albeit limited) study in Santa Clara, CA.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01095-0/

It also may mean that the virus was spreading longer (maybe as early as November/December*)  in the u.s. than is currently believed and only showed up on the radar in the us with the first recognized deaths in vulnerable populations  in extended care facilities.

*Largely anecdotal - and hard to prove/disprove without contemporary blood samples from that period.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

For someone that has their wife in the medical field this is some good news to hear.  There is so much that we don't know, still right now.  I also truly truly believe that my wife had covid in November - December.  She had a terrible cough for 1 month and doctors couldn't find out what was wrong with her.

Edited by Chuppa

10 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Please keep this in the coronavirus thread. This thread is for discussing politics.

Are you saying that there is nothing political about the responses to the coronavirus?  

And I would think that the coronavirus would qualify as a general current event.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Please keep this in the coronavirus thread. This thread is for discussing politics.

How politicians and governments deal with disasters is relevant to politics. 

If there's a problem report it, and if the staff determines that there's a problem we'll deal with it. It's not anyone else's place to tell others what they can/can't talk about in any given thread, save sometimes perhaps for the OP of the thread (who is in this case a mod).

• Like 2

Just now, Estil said:

How do you figure? 

1.  She is a woman - which Biden has committed to.

2. She is black - something which many in the donkey herd seem to desperately want.

3. She actually has some political experience -  unlike one of the people Biden has said he wants.

4. She is one of the few contenders who is demonstrably dumber than the Delaware Doofus - thereby heading off palace coup attempts.

5. It would really be fun to see Pence make mincemeat out her in a VP debate or two.

1 hour ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Yeah, see, last time I brought up extensions to the closures and how people are treating them, it turned into a whole big thing. Basically you can’t talk about anything but how you get groceries in there, or some people want to turn it into a fight 🙄

see pages 38-40

1 hour ago, Tabonga said:

1.  She is a woman - which Biden has committed to.

2. She is black - something which many in the donkey herd seem to desperately want.

3. She actually has some political experience -  unlike one of the people Biden has said he wants.

4. She is one of the few contenders who is demonstrably dumber than the Delaware Doofus - thereby heading off palace coup attempts.

5. It would really be fun to see Pence make mincemeat out her in a VP debate or two.

Disclaimer ive been paying no attention to biden since bernie dropped out. I have no idea who he's considering.

Biden already has very strong support among black voters and i don't imagine there are many independent black voters seriously considering trump. 

I don't know much about pence except his home state hates him after he spent his term as governor tanking everything. Ive not heard anyone praise his speaking skills and he always seems out of place. I cant picture him doing any real damage to anyone but himself in a vp debate.