IGNORED

General Current Events/Political Discussion

MrWunderful

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, Doctornick said:

This guy gets it!

aint nothing better than having a paid off honda and new balance shoes on my feet 😉  It s so nice not to have to worry bout any car issues and nice not having a car payment for years lol.  In the how far are you willing to go thread, my 2011 civic is at 171k and still feeling fine 🙂

3 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

I guess ill just have to see what the hype is about. Worst case scenario ill have something in common to talk about with my fellow white suburban dad neighbors. 

These are the best shoes to share grilling tips and tricks in.  You can find that on their website

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, avatar! said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/03/us/minneapolis-government-george-floyd.html

Over three nights, a five-mile stretch of Minneapolis sustained extraordinary damage...To many, the damage was an understandable response to years of injustice at the hands of the Minneapolis police...

There is nothing ever understandable about rioting and arson.  Especially considering nearly all the victims were in way shape or form reponsible for any of these injustices...indeed some of them may have even been fellow victims!!

To once again quote Merle Haggard: Now I don't mind them switching sides or standing up for things that they believe in...but when you're burning down our country, man, you're walking on the fightin' side of me. 😞 

7 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

The question is would you rather:

(a) support the USA 

or

(b) support China

Practically speaking, you have to do one or the other.

No not really you can support your choice of ~200 countries in the world today.  I have often asked if there is any country out there that has roughly the same freedoms and standard of living as the US, but is not nearly as responsible for "violence and death in the world" and does not have nearly as much -ism/-phobia issues, past or present.  I hear constantly about how the US and elsewhere has done so much wrong in its history (which it and most everywhere else has I'm sorry to say)...well who out there if any is an example of how to do it right?

Wouldn't it be easier to just invest money in African infrastructure and build up a manufacturing base there like China is currently doing?

You could get another 20 years worth of cheap goods, without supporting Chinese authoritarianism!

I mean, it wouldn't bring jobs back to the US, but frankly that ship has long since sailed let's be honest.

Investing in Africa would also count as SOME kind of moral retribution for all the hundreds of years of colonialism and slavery too, I mean at least a little! 😅

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Wouldn't it be easier to just invest money in African infrastructure and build up a manufacturing base there like China is currently doing?

You could get another 20 years worth of cheap goods, without supporting Chinese authoritarianism!

I mean, it wouldn't bring jobs back to the US, but frankly that ship has long since sailed let's be honest.

Investing in Africa would also count as SOME kind of moral retribution for all the hundreds of years of colonialism and slavery too, I mean at least a little! 😅

That's probably next, but they'd need to build up the shipping infrastructure more than anything else.

One of the reasons China got a big head start is that starting in the 70s they worked on their ports. Add in container ships growing absolutely gigantic in size made it easy to ship goods over here.

Edited by Tulpa

1 hour ago, Estil said:

There is nothing ever understandable about rioting and arson. 

Someone didn’t get the shoe memo. OK Corral. 

Yes there is. Maybe you don’t like it, and I’m not saying I do like it. But when you say nothing EVER understandable that’s a clear sign that you refuse to empathize. There must be SOMETHING understandable about it, or else it wouldn’t happen. Somebody understands it. The person who does it, obviously understands it. 

Even the riots were in direct response to police attacking large crowds, they focused on property destruction, NOT violence against people. If both sides were equally bad, they could easily have started shooting cops - like the boogaloo shitbags did. But they somehow have yet to be called out for it. Because we're a racist society.

Instead, many BLM protestors stood in front of cops to protect them from mobs. Will you ever recognize that? 

It's like how everybody just shrugs and says "that's terrible" when a right winger shoots up a Walmart or a church or a movie theater or a synagogue, but we have a week long discussion about left wing violence everytime a Nazi gets hit with a milkshake.

There's a massive double standard and anyone objectively reading this thread will see you contributing to it.

Think critically enough about who is saying what. Too many people let the right define the right, and let the right define the left. Simply believing there are some communist revolutionaries out there somewhere is not enough to justify "both sides are bad" rhetoric when the right has a body count and the left doesn't.

1 hour ago, Estil said:

No not really you can support your choice of ~200 countries in the world today.  I have often asked if there is any country out there that has roughly the same freedoms and standard of living as the US, but is not nearly as responsible for "violence and death in the world" and does not have nearly as much -ism/-phobia issues, past or present.  I hear constantly about how the US and elsewhere has done so much wrong in its history (which it and most everywhere else has I'm sorry to say)...well who out there if any is an example of how to do it right?

Are you saying you have never received an answer to this? Because, Canada Finland Algeria Germany Iceland SouthKorea France Japan Bangladesh ... sure, not everything is perfect (and certainly not perfect past, but if you are talking about NOW) there’s a whole lot of places doing a much better job now. Get off the jingoism and accept the answers you claim to seek. 

Some people say that America is bigger and more diverse and therefore those models can’t apply... my answer is if we cannot work towards justice due to our structure, then we must restructure. 

The right and the left are not remotely the same in terms of means or ends. The right uses intimidation for a control agenda while the left uses mass protest for an equity agenda. In no way are these things equally bad.

“Can I ask a stupid question?"
"Sure. Ask away."
"It's sort of more than one question. But... Look, um... Why do we hurt? Why do we die? Why isn't life good all the time? Why isn't it fair?"
"Those aren't stupid questions, Hazel. For some people they're the only questions that matter."
"Does that mean you won't answer them?"
"Sure, I'll answer. But it's kind of a big subject, and it's got lots of answers, and the answers don't really mean anything-- They aren't stupid questions but they could just as well be 'When is purple?' or 'Why does Thursday?', if you see what I mean..."
"Not really."
"Well, I think some of it is probably contrasts. Light and Shadow. If you never had the bad times, how would you know you had the good times? But some of it is just: If you're going to be Human, then there are a whole load of things that come with it. Eyes, a Heart, Days and Life.
It's the moments that illuminate it, though. The times you don't see when you're having them... They make the rest of it matter.”
― Neil Gaiman, "Death: The Time of Your Life"

“What win I if I gain the thing I seek?
A dream, a breath, a froth of fleeting joy.
Who buys a minute's mirth to wail a week?
Or sells eternity to get a toy?”
― William Shakespeare, "The Rape of Lucrece"

4 hours ago, Link said:

Someone didn’t get the shoe memo. OK Corral. 

Yes there is. Maybe you don’t like it, and I’m not saying I do like it. But when you say nothing EVER understandable that’s a clear sign that you refuse to empathize. There must be SOMETHING understandable about it, or else it wouldn’t happen. Somebody understands it. The person who does it, obviously understands it. 

Even the riots were in direct response to police attacking large crowds, they focused on property destruction, NOT violence against people. If both sides were equally bad, they could easily have started shooting cops - like the boogaloo shitbags did. But they somehow have yet to be called out for it. Because we're a racist society.

Instead, many BLM protestors stood in front of cops to protect them from mobs. Will you ever recognize that? 

It's like how everybody just shrugs and says "that's terrible" when a right winger shoots up a Walmart or a church or a movie theater or a synagogue, but we have a week long discussion about left wing violence everytime a Nazi gets hit with a milkshake.

There's a massive double standard and anyone objectively reading this thread will see you contributing to it.

Think critically enough about who is saying what. Too many people let the right define the right, and let the right define the left. Simply believing there are some communist revolutionaries out there somewhere is not enough to justify "both sides are bad" rhetoric when the right has a body count and the left doesn't.

Are you saying you have never received an answer to this? Because, Canada Finland Algeria Germany Iceland SouthKorea France Japan Bangladesh ... sure, not everything is perfect (and certainly not perfect past, but if you are talking about NOW) there’s a whole lot of places doing a much better job now. Get off the jingoism and accept the answers you claim to seek. 

Some people say that America is bigger and more diverse and therefore those models can’t apply... my answer is if we cannot work towards justice due to our structure, then we must restructure. 

The right and the left are not remotely the same in terms of means or ends. The right uses intimidation for a control agenda while the left uses mass protest for an equity agenda. In no way are these things equally bad.

The riots were actually most likely a bunch of criminals trying to take advantage of the situation. Destroy and loot under the guise of a protestor when in fact they didn't believe anything of the BLM movement. 

There is no double standard for shootings. Every single one of them is terrible and are covered for a while. No one shrugs when people die from a shooting.

The left is just as bad as the right. Both have their brand and define the other side. You're racist, you support all. You love guns, you ban guns. Build the wall, give them citizenship. I'm religious, what's religion? 

Diversity comes in many forms. Its ignorant when people only refer to different races or genders as being diverse. You can have different levels of education, age, gender, race, job experience, sexual orientation, religion, hobbies, favorite food, really anything. You should NEVER hire someone solely because of one characteristic. You should always hire the best candidate. Don't just check a box. Oh I'll hire the person who didn't graduate high school. Now I can check a box and say we're diverse because we have everyone with every level of education. Quotas are usually illegal but many places do it and get around it. 

I'd argue both the left and right use intimidation for a control agenda. The left just does it in a different way. They make you feel like sh!t if you are pro life, religious, or now support the police. I believe it is possible to have viewpoints from both sides. You CAN support the police AND think what the police did to George Floyd was wrong AND understand why people are protesting the police AND not want the police defunded. But both sides want you to think this isn't possible. "Us vs them. Pick a side. Get on the right side of history or you're a giant piece of sh!t"

Edited by Rhino

I gotta say I am trying to figure out how to get more people on the new balance bandwagon.  Maybe more quotes from some members here?

"Your grass will stop looking like garbage when you mow it in these"  -- ThePhleo

"Your meats will never be dry again grilling in these bad boys" -- Gloves

"The best shoes to enjoy a white claw in"  -- Captainmorgandrinker

Edited by Doctornick
  • Haha 1

Events Helper · Posted

look @Doctornick

I have had redwings, which are supposed to be top notch when it comes to steel toe, and i have had nautilus which is also supposed to be top notch when it comes to steel toe.

New balance is more comfortable and lasts twice as long in the steel toe form.  

Spoiler

🖕everything else, even for the non factory work 🙂 

@Bearcat-Doug see above spoiler lol