IGNORED

General Current Events/Political Discussion

MrWunderful

21 minutes ago, Link said:

If I may recommend some reading, there is an excellent essay by Ta-Nehisi Coates, titled The Case for Reparations. It’s a thorough explanation of why black people in America are specifically affected by or involved in the problems they are. Such as poverty, violence, crime, etc. These are the root causes. Not “this is what’s going on”, rather “this is how we got here” — more important question imo, to be followed up with “how we proceed from here”. 

It’s a long read, but more digestible than a 5 or 10 minute youtube rant. Especially if you’re here on a text-based forum. But, if you like the video discussion format, here is a pretty compelling conversation to check out

Right, but we are talking about stuff that happened in WWII era. Okay sure, then it took another twenty years or so for civil rights movement, but shouldn't we be seeing some progress and upward mobility in the current generations? Something? I can't answer for this, my area never had many black people in it, but in just the past twenty or thirty  years, I saw a huge difference in the Hispanic population where I grew up, initially just as migrants , then eventually bringing over their families, owning houses and businesses, and becoming relatively successful, with children on the honor roll, etc.

7 minutes ago, Estil said:

Well I'm a married 40 year old white dude, married with kitty, but I've never been above working class.  But I totally get how you feel about the second part...I mean I'm just a regular guy in a regular apartment in a regular community with (as the Cat Forum place wrongly called him!) "a regular cat" 😞

Aside from me being an introvert with an old fashioned view regarding privacy (no pics of me; only of kitty, you only get first name/state) what would be the point of me trying out being on YT for example?  What is there out there I could possibly do that hasn't already been done way better by way better qualified/experienced people?  Trust me, my life is not that fascinating 😛

Don't put yourself down dude! You've got a voice and a heart, use em! 

A little bit of self-confidence can go a long way, trust me! 😉

3 hours ago, OptOut said:

Don't put yourself down dude! You've got a voice and a heart, use em! 

A little bit of self-confidence can go a long way, trust me! 😉

Well I'm trying to use them here and elsewhere!  But you all know what they say about leading a horse to water right?  Even so I guess I always had something of an inferiority complex...after all pretty much anything I could say/do on YT/FB/TW/etc tons of others have already done better... 😞 

14 hours ago, The Strangest said:

I think it’s possible for there to be “bad apples” in the police force and still acknowledge that those bad apples exist because of a fundamental flaw in our police system in the United States. My police officer friends agree. 

this was a very interesting essay written by a former cop, explaining how some of the systemic/cultural problems within law enforcement are reinforced and perpetuated:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G-type said:

this was a very interesting essay written by a former cop, explaining how some of the systemic/cultural problems within law enforcement are reinforced and perpetuated:

Great article. It'll be dismissed as nonsense by some here unfortunately. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CodysGameRoom said:

It is a great article, provides some very valuable insight.  I just wanted to comment because the second sentence you used doesn't help the situation.  We need to try and educate and help people see what we mean, even though divisive comments like this are 95% of the time true.  Most of the "opposition" feel attacked already and when they see something like that it just validates their feelings.  I know because I was one of those people back in college, thankfully as I've grown older I managed to grow somewhat smarter too ☺️

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Doctornick said:

We need to try and educate and help people see what we mean

By all means please attempt to do so with the deniers in this thread. I've been doing so for 100 pages, it's fruitless. So actually, my sentence is not divisive in this arena, because those people have already made up their minds and will not allow any change to their opinions no matter what information is provided in front of them. BY ALL MEANS, rationally attempt to educate the people in this thread who deny systemic racism. Enjoy wasting your time. 

19 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

By all means please attempt to do so with the deniers in this thread. I've been doing so for 100 pages, it's fruitless. So actually, my sentence is not divisive in this arena, because those people have already made up their minds and will not allow any change to their opinions no matter what information is provided in front of them. BY ALL MEANS, rationally attempt to educate the people in this thread who deny systemic racism. Enjoy wasting your time. 

It's not a battle I would ever take up on the internet.  I think besides posting facts/statistics there isn't a lot more we can do when there isn't any personal interaction.  

40 minutes ago, Doctornick said:

It is a great article, provides some very valuable insight.  I just wanted to comment because the second sentence you used doesn't help the situation.  We need to try and educate and help people see what we mean, even though divisive comments like this are 95% of the time true.  Most of the "opposition" feel attacked already and when they see something like that it just validates their feelings.  I know because I was one of those people back in college, thankfully as I've grown older I managed to grow somewhat smarter too ☺️

I 100% agree with this. I started reading it, but I didn’t have time to finish. However, I intend to finish it and be open to learning. Some of what he was saying was terrible.  The idea of not being a rat is pervasive and I don’t understand it. I’m a justice seeker; therefore, I cannot fathom being complicit with unjust things. I haven’t had to face anything earth shattering myself, but I did have to go to our attorney at my company to let him know that our Treasurer wanted me to fraudulent present a loan schedule because of a mistake they made. I went right away, even while fearing the ramifications for speaking up.

I’ve come around in my thoughts in several areas in the last decade as I’ve moved from mid 20s to mid 30s. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

I 100% agree with this. I started reading it, but I didn’t have time to finish. However, I intend to finish it and be open to learning. Some of what he was saying was terrible.  The idea of not being a rat is pervasive and I don’t understand it. I’m a justice seeker; therefore, I cannot fathom being complicit with unjust things. I haven’t had to face anything earth shattering myself, but I did have to go to our attorney at my company to let him know that our Treasurer wanted me to fraudulent present a loan schedule because of a mistake they made. I went right away, even while fearing the ramifications for speaking up.

I’ve come around in my thoughts in several areas in the last decade as I’ve moved from mid 20s to mid 30s. 

I would go back and beat my 22 year old ass if I could (turning 33 next month)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CodysGameRoom said:
3 hours ago, G-type said:

It's an interesting article from his point of view and across his experience in whichever precinct in CA. But ultimately I don't care for the way it was written. I can understand if everything that he personally did or witness has caused him to swing on the extreme opposite side (of abolishing police) but the generalizations are incredibly toxic for anyone who reads this and falls in line. (Plus, I wonder why more ex-cops don't speak up or push for abolishing the entire police force if these scenarios are as common as he's stating)

We can all agree that there are complete shit and evil cops, but I still strongly believe they're the minority.

I don't see comments like this helping anyone:

"If you take nothing else away from this essay, I want you to tattoo this onto your brain forever: if a police officer is telling you something, it is probably a lie designed to gain your compliance.

Do not talk to cops and never, ever believe them. Do not “try to be helpful” with cops. Do not assume they are trying to catch someone else instead of you. Do not assume what they are doing is “important” or even legal. Under no circumstances assume any police officer is acting in good faith.

Also, and this is important, do not talk to cops.

I just remembered something, do not talk to cops.

Checking my notes real quick, something jumped out at me:

Do

not

fucking

talk

to

cops.

Ever."

^That's really going to help bring police and the communities together.....

In case you're interested, here's another ex-cop's perspective. Just as valid as the one who wrote the aforementioned article:

Edited by Silent Hill
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, G-type said:
25 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

I just remembered something, do not talk to cops.

I'm pretty sure that piece of advice (in addition to whatever personal experiences he had) was also referencing this viral video:

If that's all he said in the article, then I'd be inclined to agree. But when you actually read his full statement along with the context of his article, there's a big difference between exercising your 5th amendment, and just flat out not cooperating with police because of the notion that all of them are up to no good and aiming to make you a statistic. That's a complete BS generalization and that's why the actual point of the article is undermined, in my opinion. Don't answer to cops if you don't want to, but if you answer their questions with truthful statements, 99.9% of the time, you'll be just fine. And you'll be doing your part to keep positive moral between police and citizens. 

Also, "how to survive a traffic stop" is comical to me.

Every traffic stop is a life or death situation /s

Edited by Silent Hill
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, G-type said:

I'm pretty sure that piece of advice (in addition to whatever personal experiences he had) was also referencing this viral video:

That's actually solid advice. If you or someone of yours is taking into custody for having done a crime you should never give up anything. You're just building up the case against you for free. The cops can't offer you anything it's the court that does so if you want to admit to the crime and strike a plea you still ought to keep your mouth shut becsuse if you've alreary built their case your bargaining outset goes down the toilet.

But yeah outside of that it's kinda pointless to not be co-operative just for the sake of it. I've seen these people on youtube that have read up on their rights and they're making a point in getting into a situation and denying the cop it's kinda cringey actually.

12 hours ago, Estil said:

The main problem with the idea of reparations though is how do you determine who gets them and who pays for them?

Did you read the article? Are you saying you would be all for it, if only we could figure out a way to do it?

You’ve already demonstrated many times over your refusal to answer even the shortest, most basic questions clarifying or questioning your statements. Change this, or stop pretending to engage me in debate.

Edited by Link

11 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Right, but we are talking about stuff that happened in WWII era. Okay sure, then it took another twenty years or so for civil rights movement, but shouldn't we be seeing some progress and upward mobility in the current generations? Something? I can't answer for this, my area never had many black people in it, but in just the past twenty or thirty  years, I saw a huge difference in the Hispanic population where I grew up, initially just as migrants , then eventually bringing over their families, owning houses and businesses, and becoming relatively successful, with children on the honor roll, etc.

When your starting line is a hundred feet back, you could win the race. Statistically some on your team will. But far fewer and less likely.

1 hour ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Doctornick has it right, aside from following anything the WHO says. 😛

Cody it's people like you that get others to shut their ears, I remember all too well the post earlier you made about being excited for the old white guys to die, so that the country could move into another era. Likewise I remember the post about cutting everyone out of your life that was "racist". Honestly, it's people with stances like yours that don't do anything to aid the situation, and just make it worse. 

Similarly , people that pick and choose shit like a smorgasbord also don't aid the cause at all. Why should I even listen to folks' spiels if they cannot even acknowledge that white people also can get discriminated against racially , when they are a minority group, and similarly that some term might not be considered racist and offensive in other regions of the world, by a group of people being discussed. 

You do like that and refuse to look at the whole picture, well then, why should I consider what you say as facts to actually be true 😂

5 minutes ago, Link said:

When your starting line is a hundred feet back, you could win the race. Statistically some on your team will. But far fewer and less likely.

So other minority groups get some inside help to win, and we are just denying it to other minority groups?

Then again...single family homes. Let's look back at the other factors at play, aside from skin colour.

23 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

Don't answer to cops if you don't want to, but if you answer their questions with truthful statements, 99.9% of the time, you'll be just fine.

If you are gonna lecture others to stop quoting their opinion as fact, then you should do it too. Your 99.9% statistic is horse shit with no factual evidence to back it up. 

Anyway, I really came here to readdress “Black people do more crime, therefore encounter police more.”

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2019/11/22/aurora-police-elijah-mcclain-body-camera-autopsy/

Should the cop who killed Elijah McClain maybe have listened and adjusted his tactics A LITTLE BIT as McClain begged and pleaded for mercy, 

“I can’t breathe.I have my ID right here. My name is Elijah McClain. That’s my house. I was just going home. I’m an introvert. I’m just different. That’s all. I’m so sorry. I have no gun. I don’t do that stuff. I don’t do any fighting. Why are you attacking me? I don’t even kill flies! I don’t eat meat! But I don’t judge people, I don’t judge people who do eat meat. Forgive me. All I was trying to do was become better. I will do it. I will do anything. Sacrifice my identity, I’ll do it. You all are phenomenal. You are beautiful and I love you. Try to forgive me. I’m a mood Gemini. I’m sorry. I’m so sorry. Ow, that really hurt. You are all very strong. Teamwork makes the dream work.l (*crying*) Oh, I’m sorry I wasn’t trying to do that. I just can’t breathe correctly.”

??? 

Instead of INJECTING HIM WITH SPECIAL K?!?!

Also in Aurora, police arrested a shooter in a movie theater unharmed, while he had tear gas and multiple guns and had just shot 70 people, killing 12. Maybe McClain should have been wearing body armor too.

• Sad 1