IGNORED

General Current Events/Political Discussion

MrWunderful

11 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Cody it's people like you that get others to shut their ears, I remember all too well the post earlier you made about being excited for the old white guys to die, so that the country could move into another era. Likewise I remember the post about cutting everyone out of your life that was "racist". Honestly, it's people with stances like yours that don't do anything to aid the situation, and just make it worse. 

A few points to make:

#1 Your mind was made up years ago. Anything anyone says in this thread would do nothing to chance your opinion no matter what facts are presented. 

Do you disagree with the above statement? Please explain why. Otherwise, nothing I said matters anyway. 

#2 I don't give a shit what you think. When old racist people die and a younger generation can move forward and progress our nation and our world, it'll be wonderful. If me having that opinion makes you take me less seriously.... I could not care less. You are some rando on a video game message board, lol. Your opinion means less than nothing to me. What, you don't like me because I've taken a hard stance against racism? Aww, boohoo. Excuse me while I go cry myself to sleep about it. 😆😆🙄

#3 You are saying it is a bad thing that I do not want to associate with racist people. Not calling out racist behavior is being complacent with racism. I'll call out racism when I see it whether its you, the president, my uncle Bob, my neighbor, or anyone else. Fuck racism. I'll never apologize for calling it out. Explain to me what is bad about cutting racist people out of your life? I can't comprehend where you are going with this. 

#4 People with stances like mine (anti-racist, anti-sexist, anti-homophobe, pro-choice, feminist, pro-LGBTQ+, etc) don't make the situation worse. The situation is what we are protesting. I'm have nothing to apologize for. Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean that I make the situation worse. Bringing light to injustice, prejudice, etc is never going to make the situation worse. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

A few points to make:

#1 Your mind was made up years ago. Anything anyone says in this thread would do nothing to chance your opinion no matter what facts are presented. 

Do you disagree with the above statement? Please explain why. Otherwise, nothing I said matters anyway. 

#2 I don't give a shit what you think. When old racist people die and a younger generation can move forward and progress our nation and our world, it'll be wonderful. If me having that opinion makes you take me less seriously.... I could not care less. You are some rando on a video game message board, lol. Your opinion means less than nothing to me. What, you don't like me because I've taken a hard stance against racism? Aww, boohoo. Excuse me while I go cry myself to sleep about it. 😆😆🙄

#3 You are saying it is a bad thing that I do not want to associate with racist people. Not calling out racist behavior is being complacent with racism. I'll call out racism when I see it whether its you, the president, my uncle Bob, my neighbor, or anyone else. Fuck racism. I'll never apologize for calling it out. Explain to me what is bad about cutting racist people out of your life? I can't comprehend where you are going with this. 

#4 People with stances like mine (anti-racist, anti-sexist, anti-homophobe, pro-choice, feminist, pro-LGBTQ+, etc) don't make the situation worse. The situation is what we are protesting. I'm have nothing to apologize for. Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean that I make the situation worse. Bringing light to injustice, prejudice, etc is never going to make the situation worse. 

Tell me then, what word would you use to refer to the mixed group of people in South Africa?

1 hour ago, CodysGameRoom said:

If you are gonna lecture others to stop quoting their opinion as fact, then you should do it too. Your 99.9% statistic is horse shit with no factual evidence to back it up. 

If it's so horseshit, feel free to hit me with evidence that more than .1% of routine traffic stops end with unjustified police force. 

Here's some data from BJS on traffic stops (2015)

"Residents’ perceptions of police behavior: The vast majority (95%) of drivers who experienced a traffic stop indicated that police gave a reason for the stop. The primary reason police gave for pulling over a driver was speeding (41%). Most drivers stopped for speeding said the stop was legitimate (91%) and that police behaved properly (95%)."

From the same data collection, here's overall police interactions (not just traffic stops)

"Non-fatal threat or use of force by police: Two percent of U.S. residents who had contact with police experienced threats or use of force"  

^(even this statistic is around "threats" too, not just actual use of force. Plus, that use of force could have very well been justified, or unjustified)

So even if we can get down to the most granular detail, I'd be surprised if more than 1% of all routine traffic stops end with unjustified police force. But again, feel free to throw your stats in the ring.

Edited by Silent Hill
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

I'd be surprised if more than 1% of all routine traffic stops end with unjustified police force.

You are missing the point. You are just guessing a random ass percentage, but stating it as fact. I never stated a percentage of anything. I never said "this number is a fact", so I have nothing to prove. I don't have to provide evidence of anything. You are stating 99.9% "will be fine" with no actual data to back up that claim. It's a fake number created by you to serve your own opinion. 

4 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:
20 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

I'd be surprised if more than 1% of all routine traffic stops end with unjustified police force.

You are missing the point. You are just guessing a random ass percentage, but stating it as fact. I never stated a percentage of anything. I never said "this number is a fact", so I have nothing to prove. I don't have to provide evidence of anything. You are stating 99.9% "will be fine" with no actual data to back up that claim. It's a fake number created by you to serve your own opinion. 

You rightfully asked for data, so I shared some. But I can see at this point, data isn't really your concern as much as dismissing what I say is. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

You rightfully asked for data, so I shared some. But I can see at this point, data isn't really your concern as much as dismissing what I say is. 

You have not provided any data that proves your claim that 99.9% of people "will be fine". I'm not sure how you'd quantify in numbers whether someone is fine or not regardless.

7 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:
13 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

You have not provided any data that proves your claim that 99.9% of people "will be fine". I'm not sure how you'd quantify in numbers whether someone is fine or not regardless.

The best data is probably from surveys, like the one I mentioned BJS doing. 

Sure, it doesn't claim exactly what I said, but the data does show that a vast majority do not result in unwarranted police force and a vast majority of police "behaved properly". So while it can be researched further for more granular data, what I provided does lean in favor of my thoughts instead of mass inappropriate police behavior/force, which I assume is your claim.

Edited by Silent Hill

5 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

Sure, it doesn't claim exactly what I said, but the data does show that a vast majority do not result in unwarranted police force and a vast majority of police "behaved properly". So while it can be researched further for more granular data, what I provided does lean in favor of my thoughts instead of mass inappropriate police behavior/force, which I assume is your claim.

I understood it as a figure of speech lol but now you're debating the 99.9% 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cartman said:
15 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

I understood it as a figure of speech lol but now you're debating the 99.9% 

Yeah, of course that was my intention but here we are...

1 hour ago, fcgamer said:

Why should I even listen to folks' spiels if they cannot even acknowledge that white people also can get discriminated against racially , when they are a minority group, and similarly that some term might not be considered racist and offensive in other regions of the world, by a group of people being discussed. 

You do like that and refuse to look at the whole picture, well then, why should I consider what you say as facts to actually be true 😂

1 hour ago, fcgamer said:

Tell me then, what word would you use to refer to the mixed group of people in South Africa?

If I was in South Africa? I would probably call them mixed race, until I was corrected by someone who knows the situation and then I would use the proper term. If I’m in America, I think I would stick to my local terminology, unless I was speaking extensively about South Africa, but I don’t presently have any reason to do that.

If you were to refer to black people in America as “coloured” because that is the right word for your friend in SA, it’s antiquated in America and you would do well to receive and accept an explanation that it’s bad form.

I’m sorry to hear you have experienced unfairness. MrWunderful already said the issues you face pale (heh) in comparison to what black people here do and based on what you’ve described I agree. But since you keep bringing it up I googled ‘white people in Taiwan’ and... I can’t say as I pity white people in Taiwan too much. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Silent Hill said:

If that's all he said in the article, then I'd be inclined to agree. But when you actually read his full statement along with the context of his article, there's a big difference between exercising your 5th amendment, and just flat out not cooperating with police because of the notion that all of them are up to no good and aiming to make you a statistic. That's a complete BS generalization and that's why the actual point of the article is undermined, in my opinion. Don't answer to cops if you don't want to, but if you answer their questions with truthful statements, 99.9% of the time, you'll be just fine. And you'll be doing your part to keep positive moral between police and citizens. 

Yeah and I understand where the libertarians are coming from regarding the whole "traffic stop" thing but there's such a thing as picking and choosing your battles too.  Also when I first heard the "Miranda rights" when I was a kid (on TV I mean; you hear it all the time) I didn't understand how the first two are "rights"...if anything they sounded like the opposite!  At first I took it to mean that you have the right to not try to say anything in your defense and if you try to speak up for yourself in defense it will only work against you.  Didn't sound like what you call "rights" to me...if anything they sounded like ANTI-rights!

Editorials Team · Posted
On 6/24/2020 at 8:45 AM, Estil said:

You know I honestly wondered if it would ever come to this, but not because of "white moving first" but because more often than not it shows in lessons and such the black king getting checkmated more than white...yes folks, welcome to the world of chess racism!  But seriously though, if they want a game where black goes first, that's what checkers is for; plus its pieces move only on the black squares!

https://www.jpost.com/international/top-chess-personalities-slam-abc-for-questioning-if-chess-is-racist-632604

And in one of the most hilarious examples of fake racism I've seen in recent memory; lol...

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nascar/news/bubba-wallace-noose-garage-fbi-nascar-hate-crime/14b1apmtuk00f1ohtkixnq8grh

You were saying?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/26/sports/autoracing/nascar-noose-bubba-wallace.amp.html

merlin_173922462_3e9afdbe-b033-4550-9579-e9fff3311b4c-mobileMasterAt3x.jpg

I expect you to double down.  Please disappoint me 

Editorials Team · Posted
Just now, Estil said:

I'm not faulting the one who initially reported it; you know better safe than sorry...but the media and the BLM activists who were far to eager to pounce on the situation and make it a race issue.

Seemed like you and the conservative news outlet were eager to pounce on it and call it "fake racism"

And thanks for proving me right.

• Like 1

Just now, Reed Rothchild said:

Seemed like you and the conservative news outlet were eager to pounce on it and call it "fake racism"

And thanks for proving me right.

Well yes after it was indeed shown that it was not a racist thing at all.

Editorials Team · Posted

Tripling down?

See, that's the problem with this country in 2020.  No one would ever admit to being wrong about anything, ever.  Gotta point the finger at something.  You immediately went to BLM.  It's not just you of course.  Everyone is conditioned to do it.  Very troubling.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

You were saying?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/26/sports/autoracing/nascar-noose-bubba-wallace.amp.html

merlin_173922462_3e9afdbe-b033-4550-9579-e9fff3311b4c-mobileMasterAt3x.jpg

I expect you to double down.  Please disappoint me 

It does seem to me like a legit case of racism in this case since this Bubba guy was expected to have that garage and the real-life size of the noose. Earlier i thought it was a tiny rope with a ring knot wich could be used as a handle and the usual exaggerated bullshit but this here i would say is legit.

10 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Pretty much.  And before any broad strokes are cast, I would bet money it was some idiot individual who had access to the garage, and not any indication of a larger, broader coordinated sorta thing.

Yeah. I still wouldn't rule out the possibility that it could be an inside job a la Jussie Smollett because i never take peoples honest intentions as a given but as far as the stunt itself goes, yes that is racism to me.

Forget Hillary, these thugs/punks/whatever are the ones that really are well worth chanting "Lock them up, lock them up!" for!!!  Honestly any idiot who is this ungrateful for living in this great country that they feel the need to vandalize these statues/monuments as well as those who are burning/breaking stuff and hurting people for stupid political reasons/excuses, well, I think a few years in the clink as well as retribution and/or community service to help repair/clean the damage up is just what they deserve.

Edited by Estil
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Pretty much.  And before any broad strokes are cast, I would bet money it was some idiot individual who had access to the garage, and not any indication of a larger, broader coordinated sorta thing.

It was more likely IMHO to have been a random coincidence.   Consider this photo:

EbO_hwiXsAAhYCE.jpeg.bcd05b86553d922b88f56827968ba386.jpeg

This was long before anyone would have known what cars were going to be assigned to what garages.  And I think that NASCAR assigns the garages on a standing points system so it is unlikely that anyone knew the noose was there and therefore assigned that garage.*

My guess is that somone had some extra time on their hands, knew how to make  that noose and did it out of boredom.   

Tempest in a teapot IMHO - NASCAR didn't help with their ill conceived statement they later made.

(For what it is worth it is more likely attached to a lock release mechanism since garage door pulls are typically centered in the doorway.)

*Which is the main reason (if I understand it correctly) that the FBI concluded it was unlikely that it was racially motivated (or at the very least aimed at any one particular driver).

Edited by Tabonga