IGNORED

General Current Events/Political Discussion

MrWunderful

On 7/10/2020 at 7:52 PM, ICrappedMyPants said:

Too soon to see the inflation impact.

On 7/10/2020 at 9:12 PM, Estil said:

I don't get it...all that does is rack up high interest does it not? 😞 

There was a period of time when 0% balance transfers and cash-loans from credit cards were available while high interest savings rates were still high enough to beat the fixed-fees of the transactions.  But then those got squeezed from both ends (minimum fees went up, and savings interest rates went down).

Then dawned the age of people running massive balances on cash equivalent purchases, where they would buy a thing that could easily convert directly into cash, to pay of the card, with the end result being racking up massive cash-back points on credit cards that might pay up to 5%-6% cash back on certain categories (or all categories for the really juicy deals).   The really sweet deal was when the US Mint was letting you buy boxes of dollar coins at face value, with free shipping.  I knew of a few people that were visited by the secret service to figure out what they were doing with the substantial currency purchases that were routing straight back into the bank. They didn't get into any trouble, of course, but some of them were pulling it off for mid-5-figures per month in purchase volume from the mint before the well ran dry.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

There was a period of time when 0% balance transfers and cash-loans from credit cards were available while high interest savings rates were still high enough to beat the fixed-fees of the transactions.  But then those got squeezed from both ends (minimum fees went up, and savings interest rates went down).

Then dawned the age of people running massive balances on cash equivalent purchases, where they would buy a thing that could easily convert directly into cash, to pay of the card, with the end result being racking up massive cash-back points on credit cards that might pay up to 5%-6% cash back on certain categories (or all categories for the really juicy deals).   The really sweet deal was when the US Mint was letting you buy boxes of dollar coins at face value, with free shipping.  I knew of a few people that were visited by the secret service to figure out what they were doing with the substantial currency purchases that were routing straight back into the bank. They didn't get into any trouble, of course, but some of them were pulling it off for mid-5-figures per month in purchase volume from the mint before the well ran dry.

Man stuff like this makes me wish I had learned more business and economics than medicine.  I would probably have just as much if not more money and be significantly less angry 😭

So it looks like we got the offical list of "approved" messages that NBA can (thankfully optionally) can wear on their jerseys:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-shares-approved-social-justice-statements-for-the-back-of-players-jerseys-at-disney-restart-per/#:~:text=Black Lives Matter%3B Say Their,Up%3B How Many More%3B Group

Black Lives Matter, Say Their Names; Vote; I Can't Breathe; Justice; Peace; Equality; Freedom; Enough; Power to the People; Justice Now; Say Her Name; Sí Se Puede (Yes We Can); Liberation; See Us; Hear Us; Respect Us; Love Us; Listen; Listen to Us; Stand Up; Ally; Anti-Racist; I Am A Man; Speak Up; How Many More; Group Economics; Education Reform; Mentor.

Let's see, they CANNOT have, among other things: God Bless America, God Bless The USA, POW-MIA, Support Our Troops, Proud [Army/Navy/etc] Dad, All Lives Matter, Jesus Saves, Choose Life, Proud Dad, Unborn Lives Matter, Blue Lives Matter, shall I go on?

It'll be interesting if any players have the guts to come on to the floor and surprise everyone with a NON-approved, NON-politically correct message (for example, what if one of their close relatives was a police officer or military and was KIA?  I guess too frickin' bad? 😛 ).  Honestly though, neither this, or WORSE, actual sponsor ad patches like NASCAR (*shudders*) does not belong on player jerseys.  I'm especially concerned about those like the Premier League who are trying to force all the players to wear BLM jerseys.  BLM or any other kind of movement/group that tries to force some kind of political message on people like that without any regard to making their own choice on being able to freely CHOOSE without fear of being ostracized (or worse!) can go pound sand.

Edited by Estil

And in other news, it looks like today the official announcement will be made that the Washington Redskins will indeed retire the Redskins name, with the new name TBA.  I still stand behind Emmitt Smith's idea of officially calling the team the Skins.  But this former Skin's idea makes perfect sense too; you know, to go with the whole Dances With Wolves thing?  I do think the colors/rest of the uniform/helmet (with S or R in place of the Indian face) should stay the same, seeing as how that's been their colors pretty much from the beginning

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/kevin-durant-supports-name-redskins-retire-moniker

As for a couple other ideas that I've seen, "Warriors" has already been taken by the NBA's Golden State and it sounds too cliche, like RedHawks.  While I certainly like the story/reasoning behind the RedTails name, I'm not so sure if (with apologies to Sonic's BFF Miles Prowler) Tails really sounds right for a football team.  Say, I also frequent a popular conservative/pro-Trump site and would you believe in the Disqus/comments section I've been called "lefty" (I'm pretty sure nobody here would see me as a "lefty" on here!!) whenever I mention that a Redskins name change could totally work to the satisfaction of most everyone?  Yeah you guys know how the comments/replies sections on most any political website can get; they can get quite crazy. 

Edited by Estil

Administrator · Posted
2 hours ago, Estil said:

As for a couple other ideas that I've seen, "Warriors" has already been taken by the NBA's Golden State and it sounds too cliche, like RedHawks.  

RedHawks is one of the dumbest name changes ever, I'll give you that.   Better to go with something completely different at that point.

Why can't they be the Warriors?   Cross sport names happen all the time (Kings, Giants, etc.)

21 hours ago, Estil said:

So it looks like we got the offical list of "approved" messages that NBA can (thankfully optionally) can wear on their jerseys:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-shares-approved-social-justice-statements-for-the-back-of-players-jerseys-at-disney-restart-per/#:~:text=Black Lives Matter%3B Say Their,Up%3B How Many More%3B Group

Black Lives Matter, Say Their Names; Vote; I Can't Breathe; Justice; Peace; Equality; Freedom; Enough; Power to the People; Justice Now; Say Her Name; Sí Se Puede (Yes We Can); Liberation; See Us; Hear Us; Respect Us; Love Us; Listen; Listen to Us; Stand Up; Ally; Anti-Racist; I Am A Man; Speak Up; How Many More; Group Economics; Education Reform; Mentor.

Let's see, they CANNOT have, among other things: God Bless America, God Bless The USA, POW-MIA, Support Our Troops, Proud [Army/Navy/etc] Dad, All Lives Matter, Jesus Saves, Choose Life, Proud Dad, Unborn Lives Matter, Blue Lives Matter, shall I go on?

It'll be interesting if any players have the guts to come on to the floor and surprise everyone with a NON-approved, NON-politically correct message (for example, what if one of their close relatives was a police officer or military and was KIA?  I guess too frickin' bad? 😛 ).  Honestly though, neither this, or WORSE, actual sponsor ad patches like NASCAR (*shudders*) does not belong on player jerseys.  I'm especially concerned about those like the Premier League who are trying to force all the players to wear BLM jerseys.  BLM or any other kind of movement/group that tries to force some kind of political message on people like that without any regard to making their own choice on being able to freely CHOOSE without fear of being ostracized (or worse!) can go pound sand.

I'm confused. How is this not a violation of the first amendment about freedom of speech? What's wrong with proud army dad? Smdh NBA wtf

4 minutes ago, Rhino said:

I'm confused. How is this not a violation of the first amendment about freedom of speech? What's wrong with proud army dad? Smdh NBA wtf

The government isn't preventing them from saying/doing anything.  It is an issue between employer and employee.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

The government isn't preventing them from saying/doing anything.  It is an issue between employer and employee.

It kind of amazes me how many people don't understand what "Free Speech" really is and how it applies. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Still a freedom of speech issue, except I don't think the article actually says those phrases can't be used.

Moderator · Posted

It’s not a freedom of speech issue. The First Amendment states that Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech, which has been interpreted by the Supreme Court to mean the federal government may not infringe on the freedom of speech. The Fourteenth Amendment has been read to extend that precedent to prohibit state and local government from infringement. With certain exceptions relating to government entanglement, private actors are generally permitted to infringe your freedom of speech to their heart’s content.

• Like 5

Just now, Rhino said:

Still a freedom of speech issue, except I don't think the article actually says those phrases can't be used.

Within reason, an employer can make an employee uniform anything they want and they can require the employee to wear it in the performance of a customer-facing job.

In this case, the employer (NBA) is deciding what they allow on the jerseys (employee uniform) while customer-facing duties (games) are being performed.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, arch_8ngel said:

Within reason, an employer can make an employee uniform anything they want and they can require the employee to wear it in the performance of a customer-facing job.

In this case, the employer (NBA) is deciding what they allow on the jerseys (employee uniform) while customer-facing duties (games) are being performed.

Yup. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Magus said:

It kind of amazes me how many people don't understand what "Free Speech" really is and how it applies. 

"The most basic component of freedom of expression is the right to freedom of speech.Freedom of speech may be exercised in a direct (words) or a symbolic (actions) way. Freedom of speech is recognized as a human right under article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. The right to freedom of speech allows individuals to express themselves without government interference or regulation. The Supreme Court requires the government to provide substantial justification for the interference with the right of free speech where it attempts to regulate the content of the speech. Generally, a person cannot be held liable, either criminally or civilly for anything written or spoken about a person or topic, so long as it is truthful or based on an honest opinion and such statements."

While it does say without government interference or regulation, states have different freedom of speech laws for the work place. The NBA is very hypocritical. Have your freedom of speech to kneel and do whatever you want during the national anthem, but when it comes to stuff on a shirt, you can only have these certain phrases.

23 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

If I as a player don't agree with said message, I should be allowed to refuse to wear it with no penalties enacted upon me. 

5 minutes ago, Rhino said:

If I as a player don't agree with said message, I should be allowed to refuse to wear it with no penalties enacted upon me. 

If you, as an employee (player) decide not to wear the uniform as dictated by the employer (the team / NBA) -- then they can decide to enact any penalties the contract between the employer and employee allows for.

Maybe they will, maybe they won't.  But I would strongly suspect that the contracts between players and teams, at that level of money being involved, give the teams and the NBA a pretty wide latitude to penalize players for not wearing the dictated uniforms.