IGNORED

General Current Events/Political Discussion

MrWunderful

3 minutes ago, Rhino said:

Wearing a uniform is one thing. Forcing players to wear uniforms with controversial political messages they may or may not agree with is a completely different thing and should not be forced onto the players. 

Exactly. First NFL now NBA. 

Except they're politically charged messages. Forcing someone to wear something they don't believe in should be illegal. 

Actually not really. There's only one decent alternative but you better be the cream of the crop. Stop spewing that fakenews crap.

The average NBA salary for a player is 7.7 million. 

The average salary for a FIBA player is $37,262.

The average salary for the Africa league is unknown. I couldn't find any data. 

The highest players in the euroleague make around 1-2 million per year. 

Indeed, I said major league as in MLB/NFL/NBA/NHL.

Just now, Rhino said:

You are a good troll. Well a bad good troll but you're funny man.

I don't think troll would be the right word but I really would caution against such smug "not my problem" kind of attitudes.  Because none of us ever know what might come around the corner; for better or for worse.

Just now, Tulpa said:

NBA's a private organization. They can be as political as they want to be.

You don't have the right to a specific job. Playing in the NBA has certain expectations. You have to abide by a drug policy. You have to wear specific uniforms.

You want that NBA salary? You better wear what Nike tells you to wear.

That's bullsh!t and you know it. You know how many players wear whatever f@ck color shoes they want or jewelry they want in the NFL and break the rules? A lot. They don't care and are willing to pay the fine because they know it's bullsh!t that they have to abide by stupid rules. 

Just now, Rhino said:

That's bullsh!t and you know it. You know how many players wear whatever f@ck color shoes they want or jewelry they want in the NFL and break the rules? A lot. They don't care and are willing to pay the fine because they know it's bullsh!t that they have to abide by stupid rules. 

Yeah didn't MJ have to do that way back in the day?

2 minutes ago, Rhino said:

Players in the NBA are free to break the rules and pay the consequences, too.

It's a private organization. Players who join sign a contract. If the NFL chooses to just fine players and the NBA decides different, that's all up to them.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

NBA's a private organization. They can be as political as they want to be.

All those big bucks for the players and owners have to come from somewhere...and as we've seen with the NFL, the pro-Kap and SJW's are nowhere near enough to make up for all the fans they've lost.

Editorials Team · Posted
6 minutes ago, Estil said:

Didn't I already say that it's too early to tell?  And even if we were in fact bring the pandemic cases down (which sadly we are not) I'm would take the same 'tude I did when pre-pandemic the economy was supposedly booming and such...in either case I wouldn't want to jinx it and not "celebrate too early" ya know?

Bottom line, as far as this pandemic goes, I'm in NO position to be second guessing.  Remember it's not just the President but we got 50 state governors (our own just announced we now have to wear masks or else we risk businesses refusing us service) and it would nice if there were by now at least a few who are clearly doing it right....then maybe we'd have something to go on.

Non answer.  I'll ask again in another month.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
19 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

I, Iike the NBA players who disagree, would go find another job.

The freedom of speech you extol also extends to the NBA, the owners, and the companies that sponsor the NBA. They have as much right to display what they believe in as you do. They are allowed to call the shots on a league that they themselves own and/or manage.

Also as Corey and Arch brought up, when you're in a Union (as NBA players are), there's some language existing somewhere about what can and can't be worn, and what the penalties are.

With Corey's union it may be stuff like no dangling jewelry like necklaces and longer earrings.   The NFL has very specific language relating to uniforms, as Jake Plummer found out when he wanted to honor his friend Pat Tillman beyond the week they dedicated to him.   At first he was just going to pay the fines, but then after a week or two he relented and said he would find a better tribute.

So for the NBA, if the players didn't want to wear whatever on their jersey, then I'm sure their players union would have their back.   But I doubt it would come to that anyway.

• Like 1

Just now, captmorgandrinker said:

Also as Corey and Arch brought up, when you're in a Union (as NBA players are), there's some language existing somewhere about what can and can't be worn, and what the penalties are.

With Corey's union it may be stuff like no dangling jewelry like necklaces and longer earrings.   The NFL has very specific language relating to uniforms, as Jake Plummer found out when he wanted to honor his friend Pat Tillman beyond the week they dedicated to him.   At first he was just going to pay the fines, but then after a week or two he relented and said he would find a better tribute.

So for the NBA, if the players didn't want to wear whatever on their jersey, then I'm sure their players union would have their back.   But I doubt it would come to that anyway.

Sure, that's all part of the negotiation.

But we all know that Nike and Adidas and other companies make the uniforms and have specific ways that they want them to wear.

If the players have a grievance, there's processes for that.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, Estil said:

All those big bucks for the players and owners have to come from somewhere...and as we've seen with the NFL, the pro-Kap and SJW's are nowhere near enough to make up for all the fans they've lost.

Uh...what?    Other than this COVID shit I don't exactly see any NFL teams losing money.   Plus the NFL is tax free.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Estil said:

The leagues have their own marketing departments and can do risk analysis. And make decisions based on that.

And I wouldn't count on a mammoth block of Trump supporters dictating what the leagues do. Most people probably don't give a shit as long as their team wins the World SuperBowl Series Cup.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Im an union electrician. IBEW local 332. I know whats in our collective bargaining agreement, the workers have the power (the way it should be).  They cant make me wear anything, period. 

But beside the point, the NBA players are union, as well. 

I dont think anyone is being forced to do anything here. I dont Even know where you are getting that from. 

IN FACT:

I dont even see where an article says, they “cannot” have a certain something. Please provide proof where it says that,

UNLESS YOU WERE COMPLETELY FABRICATING SOMETHING TO BE OUTRAGED ABOUT

Which is cool, and I guess Im getting super minor level trolled about it?

Looks like 17 players opted to keep their normal names, which is obviously in their right. And it was agreed upon by the players union, and the NBA

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29430249/equality-tops-list-nba-players-most-popular-social-justice-jersey-messages

Im sure if a 22 yr old kid whos been focused on basketball his entire life wanted to put “Proud Army Dad” on the back it doesnt look like they would have stopped him, although it would be weird  

Next->

@Estil I dont want this to get left behind, I want to see proof where they said You “cannot” wear certain phrases you listed. 

8 minutes ago, Estil said:

Yeah didn't MJ have to do that way back in the day?

"The iconic red and black hi-top Jordan 1 debuted in 1984 and each time Michael Jordan wore them on the court, he was fined $5,000 because they broke the league's uniform rules. The rule book stated that each player “must wear shoes that not only matched their uniforms, but matched the shoes worn by their teammates"

6 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Non answer.  I'll ask again in another month.

What was your question? 

4 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Sure, that's all part of the negotiation.

But we all know that Nike and Adidas and other companies make the uniforms and have specific ways that they want them to wear.

If the players have a grievance, there's processes for that.

What are the processes?

14 minutes ago, Rhino said:

Is @Tulpa a pro troll?

No, just better than you at debating. Plus, you came in super strong based on a comment that as of right now, isnt even true. 

Nobody is forcing anyone to wear anything, you just wanted to rage against Sjws and fake news.

You are an American God dammit and you don’t have to take that shit! Tell em’!!!!!!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rhino said:

What are the processes?

Whatever the collective bargaining agreement and the player contract says. Generally if the player has some sort of disagreement with their team or the league they play in they call their union rep and their agent/manager(s) and they sit down with the team/and or league reps and hash it out, usually by going into what the contracts will say.

Given the amount of money involved, both from TV and from sponsors like Nike, I have to imagine that stuff like this is covered in the contracts.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

No, just better than you at debating. Plus, you came in super strong based on a comment that as of right now, isnt even true. 

Nobody is forcing anyone to wear anything, you just wanted to rage against Sjws and fake news.

You are an American God dammit and you don’t have to take that shit! Tell em’!!!!!!!

Eh we're not really even debating. It's opinion based not factual. I read the article after posting my comments give me a break. I still don't think you should be forced to support a message you don't believe in. Who doesn't want to rage against fakenews? You tolerate that sh!t? Get woke! You don't have to take that sh!t!

• Haha 1