IGNORED

General Current Events/Political Discussion

MrWunderful

19 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Sure...

1200px-Cleveland_Indians_logo.svg.png

By the way, I do agree there is room to honor them.  Keep the WAS logo and theme, but change the name.

A recent example was UND dropping 'Fighting Sioux.'. If the tribe was okay with it they should have kept the Sioux moniker.

Same reason FSU has kept Seminoles.  The tribe is proud of it.

..and Trump's 'open goal' is not productive for moving this country in the direction it NEEDS to go.  This is not a sustainable path.

WAS = Washinton Redskins? I don't know what you're referring to these teams is nothing i follow like that. But i will grant that names like redskins and darkies are perhaps slurry and uncalled for. I think it's better for someone looking red in an obviously exaggerated character logo (wich is what the purpose of cartoons is to a large extent, delivering a feeling) than someone being referred to as redskin outright. Funny how the team named Redskins has a less caricaturic logo by the way, but oh well. But yeah these things are tributes to denote fighting, strength or just incorporating a little culture in general to add flavor it doesn't need to be crusaded upon and blown out of proportion. I mean the fucking states themselves are named Dakota - 2 of them and Indiana - 1 of them + Indianapolis inside of that. To me it speaks in favor of America not against it. But this dismantling of fucking everything and angling everything to get offended really needs to be put a stop to and not allowed to keep corroding US society with artificially created divisiveness and conflict where it isn't due, all in exchange for some cheap olitical points. As Trump's tweet shows this doesn't benefit the left in the long run either it just lets the right shoot the ball in at leizure because the goalkeeper is fucking ABSENT.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Oh and this is for the “BuTTruMP iSnt RAcISt” crowd. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1280117571874951170

I think Bubba was in the right to raise the issue and that he didn't use it as a tool to milk victimhood (being disrespectful to NASCAR etc. by portraying them as henchmen/unsupportive), he owned up to it. Trump is in poor taste for running the particular narrative he does here but that's not necessarily racist it's just douchy in general.

• Confused 1

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Richardhead said:
1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:
1 hour ago, Richardhead said:
3 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Anyone have any ideas for how you "defeat" the "radical left", as Trump put it?  Let's say that's anyone who doesn't approve of Trump, so anywhere between 50-60% of the country.  What's the game plan there?

Do such an amazing job running the country that you win them over?

Hammer blue states through any means possible until they...what, become red?

Anyone have any real strategy for the future of this country?  Any idea on the direction things need to go?  Any way to come together?  Any leadership whatsoever?  Anyone?  Bueller?

Yeezy with Musk as VP. Daft Punk For Secretaries of State. Get a couple new Supreme Court justices( Neil Young, Weird Al, @Gloves ) Lebron James and Colin Kaepernick as advisors. 
Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Seriously?

...because everyone knows robots cannot be cabinet members.  GAWD.

Ya hear that @JamesRobot ? 

It's my constitutional right to vote in robots if I want to.  It's in there somewhere near the bottom.

Anyway, that all seems valid except the Musk part.  He can't run cause he's South African, eh.

Editorials Team · Posted
42 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Oh and this is for the “BuTTruMP iSnt RAcISt” crowd. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1280117571874951170

Divisive.  Accusatory.  Incendiary.  Conspiratorial.  Non-existent grammar.

All the hallmarks of great leadership.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

I read a transcript of trumps Fourth of July speech from Mount Rushmore. Holy shit, how can someone not be embarrassed to be an American because of that? 

What was so wrong with that speech?  It was one of the most beautiful patriotic speeches I've ever heard a President make in recent memory.  I mean I know you and many of the others here hate Trump more than most anybody but geez...

And I guess you also don't like his idea for a Hall of Fame of sorts for great Americans?  I do think among Supreme Court justices though there are about 5-10 just from the 20th century alone that are more qualified than Scalia...I mean no disrespect for Scalia I'm sure he was a good Justice but there's been 114 Supreme Court justices in our history and again to quote Gomer Pyle in that poker episode, the whole point of any kind of Hall of Fame is to honor the best!  

I even count at least three on the primarily list who are clearly history book saints (great figures in history that have virtually no credible dirt dug up about them at all)...Frederick Douglass, Harriett Tubman, Jackie Robinson...BTW if the time has indeed come to put the first black person and second woman (Martha Washington was first) on regular circulating paper currency I can't think of anyone more qualified and deserving than the "Black Moses" (sorry Issac Hayes).  I mean, considering Andrew Jackson did everything possible to destroy any idea of a federal gov't sort of bank I doubt he'd want to be caught dead on the second most popular Federal Reserve Note. 😛 

Edited by Estil

6 minutes ago, Estil said:

What was so wrong with that speech?  It was one of the most beautiful patriotic speeches I've ever heard a President make in recent memory.  I mean I know you and many of the others here hate Trump more than most anybody but geez...

Depends on your frame of reference, I guess.

There was some unsettling specific word choice in the speech that made for a clear thumb in the eye to Native Americans while they were protesting his choice of venue.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Estil said:

And I guess you also don't like his idea for a Hall of Fame of sorts for great Americans?  I do think among Supreme Court justices though there are about 5-10 just from the 20th century alone that are more qualified than Scalia...I mean no disrespect for Scalia I'm sure he was a good Justice but there's been 114 Supreme Court justices in our history and again to quote Gomer Pyle in that poker episode, the whole point of any kind of Hall of Fame is to honor the best!  

I even count at least three on the primarily list who are clearly history book saints (great figures in history that have virtually no credible dirt dug up about them at all)...Frederick Douglass, Harriett Tubman, Jackie Robinson...BTW if the time has indeed come to put the first black person and second woman (Martha Washington was first) on regular circulating paper currency I can't think of anyone more qualified and deserving than the "Black Moses" (sorry Issac Hayes).  I mean, considering Andrew Jackson did everything possible to destroy any idea of a federal gov't sort of bank I doubt he'd want to be caught dead on the second most popular Federal Reserve Note. 😛 

Im Glad you enjoyed it.

Nothing is more patriotic than demonizing a group of Americans that disagree with you! 🙄 Not a single word of unity, not that anyone would have taken it serious.

Nothing about that speech felt like My America. 

I mean, That whole speech was Aimed at you. It was basically a Tucker Carlson Monologue (I know, you never watch Fox news) 😛 More Red meat to the base.  Doesnt it upset you that he is more worried about stupid statues than dead Americans? Of course not, because protestors are Evil! Here is the new thing That we all should hate!

You do realize that Nobody outside of the south gives a single fuck about Confederate statues?
Here in CA, They are only around to flaunt it as a racism symbol, without ACTUALLY flying the Nazi Flag. 

Ultimately, I hope he keeps appealing to the Trump Base.  I hope he fills minor league ballparks 1/4 way with screaming non mask wearing sycophants, blaming everything on far left mobs taking “Our” heritage. He is hemmoraging support, and hopefully him and his republican enablers are going to get whats coming.

Ps- Ill bet 100$ that garden of “Amazing Americans” doesnt materialize. 
If he pulls it off, great. But Trumps record on following through isnt great 😂😂😂 Look at that beautiful wall. 
Just more empty words from a liar. 

White Grievance isnt a  real Election Strategy. 

• Like 6

On 7/6/2020 at 9:33 AM, Rhino said:

It's not just Republicans. What did Obama and his administration do to address gun violence when he was in office and mass shootings happened?

Same as they did on health care: get blocked by McConnell & co. Answer is in what you quoted.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Estil said:

I even count at least three on the primarily list who are clearly history book saints (great figures in history that have virtually no credible dirt dug up about them at all)...Frederick Douglass, Harriett Tubman, Jackie Robinson...

I hear he’s doing some great things. 

48 minutes ago, Link said:

Same as they did on health care: get blocked by McConnell & co. Answer is in what you quoted.

This is going to be my only political post in this thread.  I don't understand how people can oppose reasonable gun control.  I am a gun owner, and I would absolutely favor making it harder for people to get guns.  Since I don't have any mental health issues, a criminal background, or the need for something that can fire off a massive amount of rounds in seconds it shouldn't impact me at all.  That statement should apply to any other law-abiding gun owner, but sadly it does not.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Doctornick said:

This is going to be my only political post in this thread.  I don't understand how people can oppose reasonable gun control. 

Same with a lot of issues...what exactly constitutes "reasonable gun control"?

1 minute ago, Doctornick said:

Mandatory background check would be a good place to start, and always has to be registered excluding antique firearms.

I thought we've already had mandatory-ish background checks for at least a few decades?  And I know the more card carrying NRA members may hate me for this (sorry to the late Charlie Daniels 😞 ) but we've had license/registration for vehicles for what, ~100 years at least?  What would be so wrong with having a license for firearms?  I mean if you need a license to hunt/fish...