IGNORED

Analogue Update: Duo ($250; Ships 2023) and Pocket ($200; Ships 2023) Available for Preorder

DoctorEncore

34 minutes ago, Jicsan said:

I got one in hopes of a jailbreak firmware and that it’ll be its own everdrive.  If I have to get an everdrive because it never gets one it won’t be the end of the world.  Plus I bet the everdrive creators come up with some kind of extension solution down the road. 

I've never bothered with the jailbreaking of previous Analogue products because I've always just used my Everdrives, and I've never had any interest in running games from other systems, but I might look into it for the Duo, because I would rather not take the cover off my Turbo Everdrive.  

2 hours ago, cartman said:

The PCE has a much smaller community than NES/SNES who knows when all games are going to work without irregularities.

Smaller community, but also smaller library.  Also that smaller community is pretty dedicated (radicalized), so I would expect they can get everything working that they want to.  

49 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I've never bothered with the jailbreaking of previous Analogue products because I've always just used my Everdrives, and I've never had any interest in running games from other systems, but I might look into it for the Duo, because I would rather not take the cover off my Turbo Everdrive.

The jailbreak firmware for the other Analogue systems are made by the same guy who makes the official ones.  The main reason I got all the other Analogues was because you got an HDMI capable retro system that could play my physical collection and has a built in "everdrive".  I still wound up getting a Mega SD for my Mega SG (names are dumb) because it easily plays Sega CD.  It seems they went away from that a bit with the advent of the Analogue OS and on the "one final run" systems, but hopefully not for the Duo.

23 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Smaller community, but also smaller library.  Also that smaller community is pretty dedicated (radicalized), so I would expect they can get everything working that they want to.  

It's just that it wasn't popular here in EU and US. When it comes to programming, modding and any other field that contributes to something like a functioning FPGA system i just don't feel that a significant contribution comes from Japan.

With 120 mil people there ought to be countless candidates but maybe the bulk of it just stays domestic. I just don't see a scenario where a large enough Jap gaming/programming community would do the legwork to get every single game to work without issues as it works on say the SNES. I reckon they just aren't plugged in to FPGA or Analogue specifically like that, putting their work & knowledge out there in the open like say Kevtris.

...Or maybe the EU-US fanbase is dedicated enogh and you'll have individuals finishing every single game, maybe with gadgets to the side of them, documenting irregularities similar to how Joe Redifer did in that review.

12 minutes ago, cartman said:

...Or maybe the EU-US fanbase is dedicated enogh and you'll have individuals finishing every single game, maybe with gadgets to the side of them, documenting irregularities similar to how Joe Redifer did in that review.

I can't say whether it can be done or not, but I can say that the TG16/PCE fanbase is "unique" and nothing that comes from that group (good or bad) surprises me anymore.  

On 12/12/2023 at 12:16 PM, RH said:

I'm not one to mod cases, or anything new I buy, but if I were to get one of these, I'd want an Everdrive to fit in it for sure, I might consider making a Dremel mod.

That crossed my mind, but I'd rather not chop the thing either unless I could contact the company and see if they'd sell a spare front plate to restore it undamaged, or if someone else would make them.

The console does seem on the sloppier side of things. Is it harder to produce a top loaded disc tray where the top opens & closes, more wear? Both the original CD-addon and the Duo had it and frankly it's way cooler aswell. Now it slides out and you can barely grab it. Did anyone who built this actually eject a CD and figured it looked good?

Also there is supposedly way less settings than Analogues previous consoles. Not that i'm really in tune with all the differences it would make, but still.

It gives the impression that Analogue got a little complacent and made a solid unit but nothing more above that.

• Like 1

My Duo arrived yesterday, and I was able to get it incorporated into my setup along with my other Analogue systems.  All of my Hu cards and discs are working well, but unfortunately, my Everdrive is not reading at all.  After a little research, it sounds like possibly only the TED Pro will work on the Duo, and mine is a non-Pro.  I was not aware of this and was under the impression that all Everdrives would work on the Duo.  As a check, I played my TED in my original Duo R just to make sure it was working properly and everything ran great.  I'm hoping this is something that could be fixed with an update soon because my PC Engine collection is basically non-existent, and I intended to use the Duo with my TED.  Another option would be a jailbreak with the option to play games from the SD card, but no word of that yet that I'm aware of.  I've never done this with any of my other Analogue systems, because my Everdrives work on those systems just fine.

Does anyone else have a non-Pro Turbo Everdrive?  Have you been able to get it to work on your Analogue Duo?  

For the record, it fits fine into the Duo, when I remove the protective cover.  So that is not the issue.  It definitely plugs in, but the Duo doesn't show anything inserted at all.  

• Like 2

Well that’s fucking great, Analogue Mini NT Noir refuses to output video and several times while troubleshooting I got the dreaded 3 fast red light blinks which means this needs to go out to Analogue for troubleshooting. Emailed support looking forward to hearing back in 2024. It’s metal and cold in my basement so it got a little static shock (it’s happened many times before) but I’m assuming it’s not properly grounded. It also wasn’t starting with a game in it but would work without and now has just regressed to not displaying video at all. Merry Xmas to me

edit: at least it also didn’t blow out the game I was playing. Khan just fixed the Larry I had for me and I would have been pissed if it was f’d up again

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Sad 4

23 minutes ago, avatar! said:

And...???

Suspense Anticipation GIF

I didn’t actually order it from them (bought it a new from a dude on Craigslist) so I gotta pay around $100 for a repair. Waiting for a RMA to send it out to them. I didn’t expect to hear from them today or tomorrow so I should have what I need by Tuesday or Wednesday. Still crazy though since people have gone months without hearing from support  

• Like 1

Update: Analogue got back to me today and decided to cover the repair under warranty! They just asked to confirm my address so they can set it all up. I didn’t even bitch about whatever I was gonna have to pay (they said around $100) so even though they sell their consoles at a higher price they really do take care of their products. 

• Like 1
  • Wow! 2
  • Love 1

A positive thing of sorts.  A week ago I saw something I forgot about existed, a Game Gear adapter for the Mega Sg.  I looked to their site and saw it was sadly bundled with two things I'd never use, so at $50 and another 20-30 range on shipping I went to ebay.  Seems some people TOO just one a specific adapter, so I picked up a new one of the things on there for $25 and it's way way into the territory of money well spent.

Playing those GG games up on the TV in HDMI really makes them pop.  Visuals are clean, the audio is very nice, and it's just a nice thing doing those using an official sega controller as well.  I took a little time with Sailor Moon, the first Sonic game, and a couple others.  I feel more motivated to use the stuff again as the old GG is nice, works 100% right still amazingly, but is a bit of a pain to setup since I don't use batteries on it.  So, I moved my tray of GG games legit, imports, and vintage multis to my console cabinet for easy access. 😄

I really need to get Aerial Assault still 😕 ...and maybe see what a boot of GG Aleste 3 costs.

• Like 1

Update: I got my label and mailed out the system yesterday or the day before. I bought a new power supply for when it comes back as well. I feel like the cheap one it came with it is like under-volted and not grounded which is why the damn thing keeps shocking me when I touch the metal. Hopefully it comes back fixed and with a new PS I’ll never have anymore issues!

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my Duo finally arrived a couple days before the new year. Of course, by that time I was out of town for the holiday. When I did get it set up I had to christen it with Bonk's Adventure, that being my favorite TG-16 game. Everything looks, sounds, and plays great from what I can tell. Beating Bonk on a big screen, nice crisp graphics, using a wireless controller is awesome 🙂

I'm disappointed the save states still aren't available since that is pretty much required to play through some longer games (anyone know when that system update will arrive?). I downloaded the library images and that looks really nice, I love that feature. Every game I've tried so far has worked flawlessly from what I can tell. For a TG-16/PCE fan it's a really nice modern setup!