IGNORED

Analogue Update: Duo ($250; Ships 2023) and Pocket ($200; Ships 2023) Available for Preorder

DoctorEncore

I'm aware of that entirely, it's more the act of using some ancient hardware with some kind of life expectancy in such a high ball exterior that gets me asking so much.  I'd find it far more palatable if it was some FPGA like the others.  I was on board with SuperNT, would on the Mega if I had that, the handheld I think is begging for too much considering how they spread that out.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

I'm aware of that entirely, it's more the act of using some ancient hardware with some kind of life expectancy in such a high ball exterior that gets me asking so much.  I'd find it far more palatable if it was some FPGA like the others.  I was on board with SuperNT, would on the Mega if I had that, the handheld I think is begging for too much considering how they spread that out.

As far as I'm aware it was only the first version of the NT which used original famicom components. I think all of the ones since that initial batch have indeed been FPGA boards, but maybe someone will correct me on that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OptOut said:

As far as I'm aware it was only the first version of the NT which used original famicom components. I think all of the ones since that initial batch have indeed been FPGA boards, but maybe someone will correct me on that.

Yeah, that's correct. Only the original Nt used Famicom chips (with Analogue circuit boards.) Everything since then, Nt Mini, Super Nt, Mega Sg, and the Pocket have been FPGA.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tanooki said:

That's my problem with it too, it's $500 and don't they still use original NES guts within that pretty shell?  I have to wonder are you really going to get your value out of it in the end before age kicks in.  They don't own a delorean so these aren't unused boards within that new boutique exterior.

They don't use original parts. That was only for their original Nt back in 2016.

It's 100 % FPGA.

Edited by ifightdragons
  • Like 1

Yeah, it's been said already, but no original parts in the NT Mini.  The $500 price compared to the cost of the Super NT and Mega SG is more related to the shell.  I always wished they offered a plastic/HDMI only version that could be priced closer to the Super NT, but I doubt that's ever going to happen.  Someone here once compared them to Nintendo in that they don't always do the obvious, no matter how many people seem to want it to happen.  

24 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Yeah, it's been said already, but no original parts in the NT Mini.  The $500 price compared to the cost of the Super NT and Mega SG is more related to the shell.  I always wished they offered a plastic/HDMI only version that could be priced closer to the Super NT, but I doubt that's ever going to happen.  Someone here once compared them to Nintendo in that they don't always do the obvious, no matter how many people seem to want it to happen.  

I think the analog output drives up cost significantly as well?

Edited by ifightdragons

6 minutes ago, ifightdragons said:

I think the analog output drives up cost significantly as well?

Yeah, I didn't explain that very well, but I sort of mentioned it when I said that it would be nice of they offered a plastic/HDMI only version.  

I don't think that will ever happen with the NT Mini.  But if it ever does, I will most likely buy it and sell the more expensive version.  Part of the reason why I decided to get the NT Mini was that I figured I would sell it if I ever changed my mind.  Even if the value goes down due to the larger number of units in the market, I'm confident that I would be able to break even at the very least.  

2 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Yeah, I didn't explain that very well, but I sort of mentioned it when I said that it would be nice of they offered a plastic/HDMI only version.  

I don't think that will ever happen with the NT Mini.  But if it ever does, I will most likely buy it and sell the more expensive version.  Part of the reason why I decided to get the NT Mini was that I figured I would sell it if I ever changed my mind.  Even if the value goes down due to the larger number of units in the market, I'm confident that I would be able to break even at the very least.  

I remember when the original Analogue was released, people were complaining about the price point and so many people were dissing the company... goes to show you, don't listen to people 🙂 My understanding is that Analogue is done with the NES so your mini will certainly appreciate in value is my guess. 

2 minutes ago, avatar! said:

I remember when the original Analogue was released, people were complaining about the price point and so many people were dissing the company... goes to show you, don't listen to people 🙂 My understanding is that Analogue is done with the NES so your mini will certainly appreciate in value is my guess. 

My thoughts as well.  I have no intention of selling, but I figured breaking even is absolute worst case scenario.  

How much was the original NT?  Wasn't it like $800?  I vaguely remember it.  I can say that I was not in the group throwing hate their way, but I also remember thinking that $800 was way beyond what I was willing to spend. 

Also, if I'm not mistaken, didn't Analogue also make a super fancy/expensive consolised MVS with a wooden case, or am I thinking of a different company?  

7 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

My thoughts as well.  I have no intention of selling, but I figured breaking even is absolute worst case scenario.  

How much was the original NT?  Wasn't it like $800?  I vaguely remember it.  I can say that I was not in the group throwing hate their way, but I also remember thinking that $800 was way beyond what I was willing to spend. 

Also, if I'm not mistaken, didn't Analogue also make a super fancy/expensive consolised MVS with a wooden case, or am I thinking of a different company?  

$500 was the original price... amusing how people were saying things like "insane price" and "rip-off" but of course it sells out and now sells for 2-3 original price on ebay. Again, don't listen to people 🙂 

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/07/analogue-nt-a-museum-grade-nes-for-a-museum-grade-price/

There was someone that made, I believe, an N64 out of wood (?) although Analogue did release a "gold" edition which was limited to 10. That was apparently $5k

https://uncrate.com/analogue-nt-24k-gold-edition/

Edited by avatar!

5 minutes ago, avatar! said:

$500 was the original price

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/07/analogue-nt-a-museum-grade-nes-for-a-museum-grade-price/

There was someone that made, I believe, an N64 out of wood (?) although Analogue did release a "gold" edition which was limited to 10. That was apparently $5k

https://uncrate.com/analogue-nt-24k-gold-edition/

Wow, the original was only $500?  It's funny to think that back in 2014, $500 was something I wouldn't even consider for a product like that.  It feels like it was so much more back then.

But now I'm wondering if my memory is just going to shit, because I swear I remember some company selling a fancy and super expensive consolised MVS in a wooden case.  I'll have to see if I can find what I'm remembering, or maybe I just made it all up in a dream.  

EDIT:

Here's what I was talking about.  

https://www.engadget.com/2011-11-26-the-analogue-cmvs-a-649-wooden-neo-geo-for-the-gamer-who-has-e.html

Edited by TDIRunner

3 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

But now I'm wondering if my memory is just going to shit, because I swear I remember some company selling a fancy and super expensive consolised MVS in a wooden case.  I'll have to see if I can find what I'm remembering, or maybe I just made it all up in a dream.  

Yeah, Analogue did consolized MVS units. That's how they got started.

3 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I had totally forgotten about that. I haven't seen one on the market in a long time. Willing to bet it goes for crazy amounts. Of course back then spending $849 on a system seemed bonkers... still kinda does. Nevertheless, a wise investment for those that saw potential and have patience. 

1 minute ago, avatar! said:

I had totally forgotten about that. I haven't seen one on the market in a long time. Willing to bet it goes for crazy amounts. Of course back then spending $849 on a system seemed bonkers... still kinda does. Nevertheless, a wise investment for those that saw potential and have patience. 

It's for Neo Geo, that stuff is was always bonkers. 😛 

19 minutes ago, tbone3969 said:

I was able to snag a pre-order.  I cant wait to run simultaneous screens, one on my PVM and one on my LCD.  Just cuz I can lol.

Funny you say that.  I have the ability to do that with most of my gaming systems (all systems except HDMI and RF) since I use a matrix switcher to control most of my systems.  While it isn't all that useful for actual gaming, it's still a neat way to show the lag comparison between the two screens.  

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

Funny you say that.  I have the ability to do that with most of my gaming systems (all systems except HDMI and RF) since I use a matrix switcher to control most of my systems.  While it isn't all that useful for actual gaming, it's still a neat way to show the lag comparison between the two screens.  

Yes, although there is zero lag in the Mini NT supposedly.  Guess there would be lag on my LCD.  We will see.

• The title was changed to 14 Oct Update: Announcement Coming at 0800 PST (1100 EST) on 16 Oct. Super Nt Restock? New Product? Who Knows!?
  • The title was changed to Analogue Update - 14 Oct: Announcement Coming at 0800 PST (1100 EST) on 16 Oct. Super Nt Restock? New Product? Who Knows!?