IGNORED

POLL : Final Fantasy II and III or IV and VI??

TheBiRD

POLL : Final Fantasy II and III or IV and VI??  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What’s THE right way to call these games, refering to the Snes American released version.

• FF2 and FF3
    • FF4 and FF6

Administrator · Posted

Ignoring the proper numbering order is you forcing yourself to ignore the simple fact that there is an official order. 

It's like considering the Final Fantasy Legend games as part of the canon FF lexicon when we know for a fact that they are simply renamed FF for marketing in North America from SaGa. It's just choosing to be ignorant. Like why would anyone CHOOSE to be ignorant?

May as well call Pokemon Yellow a GBC game. Ignorant.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Ignoring the proper numbering order is you forcing yourself to ignore the simple fact that there is an official order. 

It's like considering the Final Fantasy Legend games as part of the canon FF lexicon when we know for a fact that they are simply renamed FF for marketing in North America from SaGa. It's just choosing to be ignorant. Like why would anyone CHOOSE to be ignorant?

May as well call Pokemon Yellow a GBC game. Ignorant.

Knowing there're other games in the series is one thing. But saying "I play FF6" instead of "I play FF3" is another.

Edited by TheBiRD

Just now, Gloves said:

"I'm playing FF3 right now!"

"Oh nice, you have a Famicom? Or are you playing the DS version?"

To my earlier point, I would say "I'm playing FF III on the SNES"  or "I am playing FF III" on the DS" or even "I am playing FF VI on the GBA". These are Westernized versions of Japanese games and we can't change the fact that the owners of the media renamed it for a region. It doesn't make it wrong to call a game what the creators named it, even if it is confusing. This, when I talk about these games, I give context.

I am also fully aware that Final Fantasy Adventure is Seiken Densetsu in Japan and Mystic Quest in Europe. It will always be FFA to me because I am an American who that name was targeted for and running around telling people to call it Seiken Densetsu makes you look like nerd and a jerk.

On a more subtle scale, the same rules apply to these games.

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, RH said:

To my earlier point, I would say "I'm playing FF III on the SNES"  or "I am playing FF III" on the DS" or even "I am playing FF VI on the GBA". These are Westernized versions of Japanese games and we can't change the fact that the owners of the media renamed it for a region. It doesn't make it wrong to call a game what the creators named it, even if it is confusing. This, when I talk about these games, I give context.

I am also fully aware that Final Fantasy Adventure is Seiken Densetsu in Japan and Mystic Quest in Europe. It will always be FFA to me because I am an American who that name was targeted for and running around telling people to call it Seiken Densetsu makes you look like nerd and a jerk.

On a more subtle scale, the same rules apply to these games.

Key difference:

There is no other game called Final Fantasy Adventure. Nor Final Fantasy Legend.

There IS a Final Fantasy 2 and 3. 

FFA and the FFL games have no real confusion due to being uniquely named. Calling Final Fantasy 6 Final Fantasy 3 is just confusing. We live in the present, and have the common knowledge that FF3 in NA is FF6 in the grander scheme. Later releases of the game FIXED THE ERROR in naming. You don't call Gundam Battle Assault on PS1 "Gundum" just because they misspelled it that one time. And you call "Aeris" Aerith now because they FIXED the translation in later iterations.

You're not a 10 year old living in 1995. It's Final Fantasy 4 and 6.

11 hours ago, Gloves said:

"I'm playing FF3 right now!"

"Oh nice, you have a Famicom? Or are you playing the DS version?"

Updating the question from : What’s THE right way to call these games?!      to :

What’s THE right way to call these games, refering to the Snes American released version.

Hmm - my boxes still say II and III (as do all of the pieces of documentation, the games themselves and references in Nintendo Power etc). 

My various collections are usually all stored alphabetically - so my Sega CDs (for example) are filed by the US release title rather than whatever title they may have had if they were originally released in Japan.  I do have both the Japanese and US releases of Dark Wizard* but the Japanese one lives by itself with my other standard cd games since it is smaller than the Sega CD jewel cases.

So it is kinda like the old joke about cats or dogs being the smartest.  Cats are better at being cats and dogs are better are being dogs.  The US versions are II and III and the Japanese versions are IV and VI.

*For those of you who want to know the answer to the burning question of whether or not the water of heaven exists in the original version - it doesn't (just like it doesn't (although mentioned) in the US version). 

Edited by Wandering Tellurian

33 minutes ago, scaryice said:

We really shouldn't be having this debate 25 years later. Call them by the correct names already.

Could be worse - we could be debating about which flavor of  Gerbers is best.  😉

And it could be much worse - what if game cartridges had a sex - the possible conundrums of that changing boggle the mind.

In any event I have used their given names over all these years.

Edited by Wandering Tellurian