IGNORED

POLL : Final Fantasy II and III or IV and VI??

TheBiRD

POLL : Final Fantasy II and III or IV and VI??  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What’s THE right way to call these games, refering to the Snes American released version.

• FF2 and FF3
    • FF4 and FF6

Not sure if we're debating this anymore, but Final Fantasy III is the official name in North America at least:
https://www.nintendo.com/super-nes-classic/

Personally I have no preference but I tend to call it FF3 and usually when we're taking about SNES games, any confusion is usually sorted out pretty easily.

• Like 1

I'm in the minority on this and don't care.  This is and only is on the poll about the 'American SNES' releases of those two games.  They were, and still are eternally called Final Fantasy II and III on the box, the papers, the carts, the ROMs on the inside or anywhere else you get them.  It's all about context, this isn't a gray area or even a debate.  If you say you're an American, using a NTSC system from the NA region, and your game from Square says what it says on the sticker, that basically if fact, God even...it's FInal Fantasy II and Final Fantasy III.

That said, if you put it in context of the PS1, GBA, mobile, then sure, use 4, (5) and 6.  It's Squares fault, they did it, and we're stuck with it.

On 2/3/2020 at 1:59 PM, Estil said:

That really boggles my mind; that was back in my HS/college days...if there was a "next gen" Wonder Years done, and it started in 2018 to be consistent with the original's 1988 start year...the show would take place 20 years prior just like the original, and it'd be in my HS/college days!!  It can't be that long ago already...it just can't...

It’s called The Goldbergs.

And 1988 is 30 years before 2018.

29 minutes ago, Link said:

It’s called The Goldbergs.

And 1988 is 30 years before 2018.

Sorry I meant the next gen Wonder Years if started in 2018, would take place 20 years prior, in 1998-2003.

Oh yeah I forgot all about The Goldbergs though it's not exactly the same premise, it's more along the lines of a more successful "That 80s Show" that was made family sitcom style.  Still, as Kevin Arnold was famous for saying "And there you have it".

The mags that I read as a kid when SNES was the big thing, always went to lengths to talk about all the games we didn't get. Like sneak peaks of RPGs released in Japan and stuff. Articles about how Dragon Quest was bigger than Final Fantasy over there and everything. And of course preview sections with upcoming games, of which a lot weren't actually confirmed to come out or not (as I'm sure most would remember, games would often take years to get localized back then)
There was a lot of talk about FF5 being slated to come out as FF3, but then all of a sudden FF3 came out and it was actually FF6. We even had huge multi-page reviews of both Chrono Trigger and FF"3" even though neither ended up being released here. Even jap-exclusive stuff like Gokujou Parodius or Cotton 100% got reviews.

I don't know how the media coverage was in your regions, but it seems to me that most people who were nerdy enough to actually care about Final Fantasy was also nerdy enough to know what was going on. 😄

Edited by Sumez

Editorials Team · Posted
6 hours ago, PineappleLawnchair said:

Here's a little fun fact for anyone with the SNES carts, loot at the bottom left edge where the product code is. You'll notice F4 and F6, respectively.

This is true, and it's hilarious. And it's the answer to the problem! Just only refer to it as "the SNES game whose product code is SNS-F6-USA"

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Naw it's Final Fantasy 5. 😉  Final Fantasy 4 is Mystical Quest on SNES.

Following that vein, 6 is Tactics and 8 is 7, 9 is 8. Then we have FF Tactics as FF 9, which I think makes so thar by FF X, we're all caught up.

Disclaimer--I was to lazy to check release dates so I guess it could have been XI or even XII before we were caught up. I don't know.