IGNORED

POLL : Final Fantasy II and III or IV and VI??

TheBiRD

POLL : Final Fantasy II and III or IV and VI??  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What’s THE right way to call these games, refering to the Snes American released version.

• FF2 and FF3
    • FF4 and FF6

4 hours ago, CMR said:

You guys should play the Dragon Warrior games instead.

You mean Dragon Quest?

I call them 2 and 3 if I'm talking about the SNES versions. I don't even think of it necessarily as a number, it's just the title they were given. Games have different titles in different languages all the time.

I call them what they were called when they were released here, 2 and 3.  If I get into a conversation with some friends that have never looked into this stuff and only know what they remember back in the day, all they know is that they played 2 and/or 3. If I go around telling them "Um well actually they were actually 4 and 6 because blah blah blah" I'm going to look like a prick for getting nitpicky about it. So I'll stick with 2 and 3.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I call them what they were called when they were released here, 2 and 3.  If I get into a conversation with some friends that have never looked into this stuff and only know what they remember back in the day, all they know is that they played 2 and/or 3. If I go around telling them "Um well actually they were actually 4 and 6 because blah blah blah" I'm going to look like a prick for getting nitpicky about it. So I'll stick with 2 and 3.

Exactly this ^

Administrator · Posted
16 minutes ago, KokiriChild said:

I find calling them 2 and 3 instead of 4 and 6 especially confusing these days now that there are western ports of the actual 2, 3, and 5 between PS1 and DS.

FF6 was released on PS1 as 6 in 1999, and 4 on PS1 in 2001. Like we're talking ~20 years ago here. "These days" doesn't come into it! 😛

• Like 1

On 1/31/2020 at 9:41 PM, Gloves said:

Key difference:

There is no other game called Final Fantasy Adventure. Nor Final Fantasy Legend.

There IS a Final Fantasy 2 and 3. 

FFA and the FFL games have no real confusion due to being uniquely named. Calling Final Fantasy 6 Final Fantasy 3 is just confusing. We live in the present, and have the common knowledge that FF3 in NA is FF6 in the grander scheme. Later releases of the game FIXED THE ERROR in naming. You don't call Gundam Battle Assault on PS1 "Gundum" just because they misspelled it that one time. And you call "Aeris" Aerith now because they FIXED the translation in later iterations.

You're not a 10 year old living in 1995. It's Final Fantasy 4 and 6.

shutup, nerd

Administrator · Posted
10 minutes ago, B.A. said:

So for those of you in the 4 and 6 camp because that is what they are called somewhere else on different systems/countries, if you were selling a copy of your SNES CIB on ebay you would list the title as Final Fantasy 4/6?

I'd list it as... 

Final Fantasy 1 2 3 4 5 6 SNES R@RE L@@K CIB Complete Holy Grail! 

2 hours ago, B.A. said:

So for those of you in the 4 and 6 camp because that is what they are called somewhere else on different systems/countries, if you were selling a copy of your SNES CIB on ebay you would list the title as Final Fantasy 4/6?

Ha, got him!

2 hours ago, Gloves said:

I'd list it as... 

Final Fantasy 1 2 3 4 5 6 SNES R@RE L@@K CIB Complete Holy Grail! 

Oh, snap! Got me!

2 hours ago, B.A. said:

You got me there.  That is the only true correct answer! 

Indeed.  I am now ready to enroll into Gloves University for selling your Gamez on the Internets!

I must say at first I too was quite confused by that numbering system when I first started RPGs back in 2013.  I always call them by their real names (FF4 and FF6; even though the US "FF4" is heavily censored (it doesn't have the cute strippers 😞 ) and watered down).  I wonder why back in the day they didn't go with "Super Final Fantasy" for the watered down/censored US version of FF4?

Wasn't there an ad back in the day showing that Square was indeed all set to make US versions of FF2 and FF3 (the real ones, on the NES) but decided to be quitters about it? 😞

Edited by Estil

20 hours ago, Gloves said:

FF6 was released on PS1 as 6 in 1999, and 4 on PS1 in 2001. Like we're talking ~20 years ago here. "These days" doesn't come into it! 😛

That really boggles my mind; that was back in my HS/college days...if there was a "next gen" Wonder Years done, and it started in 2018 to be consistent with the original's 1988 start year...the show would take place 20 years prior just like the original, and it'd be in my HS/college days!!  It can't be that long ago already...it just can't...

4 hours ago, B.A. said:

Good example - In this context I'd probably refer to them as II and III (or more likely something like "Final Fantasy III (FF6)" to make it clear), because that's what's on the cartridge. You're selling a physical product as how it's defined on the label. But when you are talking about the games inside the cartridge it's different. These are the 4th an 6th Final Fantasy games, not the 2nd or 3rd.

As has been stated several times, it's simply a matter of avoiding confusion. There's only one FF4 and FF6, but there are two completely different games that could be FF2 or FF3, so it's very simple. They aren't called FF4 and 6 "somewhere else", they are FF4 and FF6, and even though they had the wrong title in the US, they are still those games.

But as usual it's funny that people are able to drag such a simple matter of semantics so far 😄 I'm still enjoying this.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Good example - In this context I'd probably refer to them as II and III (or more likely something like "Final Fantasy III (FF6)" to make it clear), because that's what's on the cartridge. You're selling a physical product as how it's defined on the label. But when you are talking about the games inside the cartridge it's different. These are the 4th an 6th Final Fantasy games, not the 2nd or 3rd.

As has been stated several times, it's simply a matter of avoiding confusion. There's only one FF4 and FF6, but there are two completely different games that could be FF2 or FF3, so it's very simple. They aren't called FF4 and 6 "somewhere else", they are FF4 and FF6, and even though they had the wrong title in the US, they are still those games.

But as usual it's funny that people are able to drag such a simple matter of semantics so far 😄 I'm still enjoying this.

Error or not, wrong title or not, confusing or not, the titles of those games on the Super Nintendo is Final Fantasy 2 and Final Fantasy 3.   

If someone asks were those the 2nd and 3rd games in the Final Fantasy series, then the answer would be no, they are the 4th and 6th in the numbered series of games.  However that simply isn't the name of them on the SNES. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, B.A. said:

Error or not, wrong title or not, confusing or not, the titles of those games on the Super Nintendo is Final Fantasy 2 and Final Fantasy 3.   

The same games were originally released with the titles of Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy VI.

The fact that they were also released with the titles of FF2 and FF3, doesn't mean that they are not FF4 and FF6. I don't understand why you'd insist on calling them something that serves no purpose other than confusing more than their original titles. 😛 

I understand if you don't want to call Rygar "Argus no Senshi", because most people wouldn't know what that is. But that's hardly the case here.

2 minutes ago, Sumez said:

I don't understand why you'd insist on calling them something that serves no purpose other than confusing more than their original titles. 😛 

Because that's what is on the box, label, manual, title screen!  I didn't name them, but that's the name they were given.  

• Like 1