IGNORED

Games You Have Beaten Recently?

Nightowljrm

Just beat Mega Man 4 but had something I've never had happen before. I was on the 8-man boss rush and Drill was the last one. We were both one-shot and I was at the far edge of the screen from the teleport and he was walking towards me. I fired a Dive Missile and then jumped to try and dodge his drill and him as he was walking under me. My Dive missile killed him but the explosion from the drill killed me. But since he was right under me I got the large energy power-up the same frame I got killed by the explosion. I died and had 10 sticks left in my energy meter. The other interesting thing is when you typically die at the same time as the boss you replay the boss, but I'm guessing since the game checked that I had energy left it respawned me in the main chamber with Dr. Wiley's capsule available as if I killed Drill Man. Kinda stupid but thought I'd share as that has never happened to me in all my years playing MM. 

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1

Shinobi on the Master System, my first ever "real" (read as anything other than Alex Kidd in Shinobi World) Shinobi game to finish.  It was pretty good, but the Ninja Magic is almost worthless in the game.  I also hated how it was easier to kill Mandara with non-powered shurikens than with bullets.

• Like 1

Just beat Metroid Dread last night. Really liked the game overall. Felt like they rushed the 2nd half of the game as they give you an item in what feels like every other room while conveniently guiding you through the areas. Last boss was a little weird for a Metroid game but other than that it's a great game overall. Looking forward to 100% and beating it on the harder difficulties.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finished my swordless run of Zelda 1, turns out you can't truly complete it due to this:

Spoiler

Ganon can't be killed without a sword.

but it's good enough. I did everything else possible in the game, maxed out all items and stats, etc.

Think I'm going to try a 3 heart run next. Should be easy peasy going back to the sword, though I'm going to be missing the rings and potions. Should be a fun challenge anyway.

Afterwards I'm not sure, maybe I'll go back to game boy or DS games.

• Like 2

On 3/22/2023 at 12:36 PM, Aguy said:

I took a break from the Dragon Quest series and played LoZ: Link Between Worlds on the 3DS. Technically it's only the second Zelda game I've ever completed. I was ok, not much of a story, and pretty easy.

Next up, DQ III on the Switch.

I borrowed a friend's copy and did my first playthrough as a 3 heart run on hero mode, no fairies and no upgrades to defense. Was a lot of fun, if challenging to survive as .ost everything in the dark world is a 1 hit kill. Consider trying it if you want a challenge.

2 hours ago, koifish said:

I borrowed a friend's copy and did my first playthrough as a 3 heart run on hero mode, no fairies and no upgrades to defense. Was a lot of fun, if challenging to survive as .ost everything in the dark world is a 1 hit kill. Consider trying it if you want a challenge.

It sucks that Hero mode isn't available before beating the game once, but I immediately started over and played the game in this exact way. I did get the armors though, but you still have a lot of 1-hit kills. The game wasn't super challenging, but instead felt properly balanced.
It really sucks that you need to restrain yourself like that to get a really fun experience out of Link Between Worlds, but at least it's there. It's kind of ridiculous, because the game has really solid mechanics and combat, but on the default balance (even in Hero Mode) you can just bump into every single enemy taking damage, and still come out fine because you got such an infinite health pool. What's even the point of having enemies then?

1 hour ago, Sumez said:

It sucks that Hero mode isn't available before beating the game once, but I immediately started over and played the game in this exact way. I did get the armors though, but you still have a lot of 1-hit kills. The game wasn't super challenging, but instead felt properly balanced.
It really sucks that you need to restrain yourself like that to get a really fun experience out of Link Between Worlds, but at least it's there. It's kind of ridiculous, because the game has really solid mechanics and combat, but on the default balance (even in Hero Mode) you can just bump into every single enemy taking damage, and still come out fine because you got such an infinite health pool. What's even the point of having enemies then?

I've had this problem with most Nintendo games, particularly zelda games, past the NES. Of course they were tougher when I was young, but as a skilled player now they're not much challenge. Granted I haven't played breath of the wild much, and I hear it's more challenging than most later releases, but from what I've played the series stays pretty easy after Zelda 1 and 2. I get that the company aims to be an introductory experience, but you know, people still went crazy for NES/Famicom despite the difficult games. Maybe just part of the change in expectations from "playing a game" to "beating a game" being the expectation.

I finished The Adventures of Bayou Billy for the first time!

BaiyouBillyWinner!.png.8f621e60c6a62608f8bce4f0137214c0.png

I didn't even use the training mode bonuses that I just discovered, as I was only going to play a little bit before turning it off. Instead I missed my show and played the whole game to the end! ^_^

The game starts off difficult to understand and is not nice to new players, but it becomes amazing the more you play. It's not as hard as many people say, and I think it was a fun challenge.

What I like the most about Bayou Billy is how the characters, levels and combat feel realistic for an old game. The world and characters of Bayou Billy come to life better than many NES games, and the people you fight along the way are very memorable. Many enemies you only see in one place, making them stand out. I was impressed by the dog tamer fight in stage 8 especially. 

I think it's one of Konami's most unique and high quality games on NES, though it's hard to get into. Don't play the Japanese "Mad City" just because it is easier. Bayou Billy is a better and more finished game. I loved it!

Edited by Jynx
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium to finish off the original Phantasy Star games.  I had played and beat the original Master System Phantasy Star, but this was the first time for the three Genesis games.  Took me just under two years to finish the four games.  I only played through Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom one time, so there are four generations I have never seen.  I am happy to have finished this impressive set of console rpgs.

• Like 3

On 4/18/2023 at 10:44 PM, Jynx said:

I finished The Adventures of Bayou Billy for the first time!

BaiyouBillyWinner!.png.8f621e60c6a62608f8bce4f0137214c0.png

I didn't even use the training mode bonuses that I just discovered, as I was only going to play a little bit before turning it off. Instead I missed my show and played the whole game to the end! ^_^

The game starts off difficult to understand and is not nice to new players, but it becomes amazing the more you play. It's not as hard as many people say, and I think it was a fun challenge.

What I like the most about Bayou Billy is how the characters, levels and combat feel realistic for an old game. The world and characters of Bayou Billy come to life better than many NES games, and the people you fight along the way are very memorable. Many enemies you only see in one place, making them stand out. I was impressed by the dog tamer fight in stage 8 especially. 

I think it's one of Konami's most unique and high quality games on NES, though it's hard to get into. Don't play the Japanese "Mad City" just because it is easier. Bayou Billy is a better and more finished game. I loved it!

Agree, I like Bayou Billy, and I liked it when I rented it as a kid.

I don't understand people saying that they hated Bayou Billy as a kid because it was "hard." This feels so much like revisionist history. Most NES games were that way. It was expected. Bayou Billy was just another tough NES game and it was fun. Even as a kid I remember being able to reach the driving stage.

• Like 1

Bayou Billy 1cc baby!! No game overs! ^_^

I used the training stages to get the meatball and extra life, and started playing. I have learned many tricks to beat the first three stages very easily, so they weren't bad. I got reckless on stage 4 driving, and lost two lives. I lost more lives in stage 5 and was on my last, but near the end got an extra one from points. I finished the level with two lives.

I beat the city streets without dying, and got to stage 7 shooting. I always forget what to target first at the boss, and I still don't have a working Zapper to make it easy. Hitting the little man's knives is the most important thing while also shooting the machine gun man. I lost one life, and was on my last after beating the gun stage. I still had the recovery meat from training though, so I kind of had two lives. Meat only activates in street fighting stages, and dying in shooting or driving doesn't make you lose it.

Without any weapons or vest for the shootout stage that ends with the dog tamer, I was playing very carefully. Somehow I forgot about the meat, and played as if I didn't have it. I managed to get weapons and a vest, and finish the whole stage with the meat!

On the last stage if you go in with the vest and whip, there's really no way to lose at all so long as you play cowardly. On my last life I rescued Annabelle, and off camera during the credits we ate the meat. XD That should be a secret ending if you keep the meat the whole game. 

It's like Bonk's Adventure meat on bone where they eat the meat together like Lady and the Tramp and kiss in the middle. XD

2 minutes ago, Jynx said:

Bayou Billy 1cc baby!! No game overs! ^_^

I used the training stages to get the meatball and extra life, and started playing. I have learned many tricks to beat the first three stages very easily, so they weren't bad. I got reckless on stage 4 driving, and lost two lives. I lost more lives in stage 5 and was on my last, but near the end got an extra one from points. I finished the level with two lives.

I beat the city streets without dying, and got to stage 7 shooting. I always forget what to target first at the boss, and I still don't have a working Zapper to make it easy. Hitting the little man's knives is the most important thing while also shooting the machine gun man. I lost one life, and was on my last after beating the gun stage. I still had the recovery meat from training though, so I kind of had two lives. Meat only activates in street fighting stages, and dying in shooting or driving doesn't make you lose it.

Without any weapons or vest for the shootout stage that ends with the dog tamer, I was playing very carefully. Somehow I forgot about the meat, and played as if I didn't have it. I managed to get weapons and a vest, and finish the whole stage with the meat!

On the last stage if you go in with the vest and whip, there's really no way to lose at all so long as you play cowardly. On my last life I rescued Annabelle, and off camera during the credits we ate the meat. XD That should be a secret ending if you keep the meat the whole game. 

If you can pass stage 7 without dying it makes stage 8 so much easier, but it's hard. I usually die at least once because of not getting a health refill. For the boss I always quickly take out the machine guy first and then the knife guy.

I hate the gun guys on stage 8. But they're a joke if you still have the whip and vest.

Bayou Billy 1CC: No Training Mode Bonuses!

I made it through the second shooting stage without dying for the first time, and it makes stage 8 so much easier like others said. I still only had one life at the end of the game, but it still counts! ^_^

I almost don't want to say this, but I think Bayou Billy is my new favourite Konami NES game. I hate to say it because lots of my favourite games end up being ones that need a lot of explaining why I like them, to the point where it's better to not bring it up. When I try to explain, people either don't care or still don't understand. 😅

I'd love to get a working Zapper, because it'd make the game so much better. I've bought two broken ones. 😞

Edited by Jynx
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

I did something I've tried to do for years, and reached the maximum score on Balloon Fight! I normally don't think of score attack games as having an ending, but I think I can count Balloon Fight as being beaten. 😄

I could have played more, but I chose to let my character lose after getting the max score. I only died one time before getting the max score, but there was a lot of wild dodging to make it happen. I wish I had it recorded. 😄

BalloonFightVictory!.png.3f4f85d21d2eaf05e2f2e72a2985cb03.png

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Jynx said:

I did something I've tried to do for years, and reached the maximum score on Balloon Fight! I normally don't think of score attack games as having an ending, but I think I can count Balloon Fight as being beaten. 😄

I could have played more, but I chose to let my character lose after getting the max score. I only died one time before getting the max score, but there was a lot of wild dodging to make it happen. I wish I had it recorded. 😄

BalloonFightVictory!.png.3f4f85d21d2eaf05e2f2e72a2985cb03.png

Congrats, man!  I assume the TOP score freezes at 999950 but your player 1 score rolls over so you can keep getting points?  This is something I've been meaning to do as well, but I never seem to get around to it...

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Congrats, man!  I assume the TOP score freezes at 999950 but your player 1 score rolls over so you can keep getting points?  This is something I've been meaning to do as well, but I never seem to get around to it...

Thanks! 😁 I looked up on Youtube to see if there was a world record video where the points roll over, and there is a guy who got close to five million points. He rolled the score over four times!

His score rolled over during a stage though, so his stopped at a different number that's lower than the full max. I think I got lucky, because it looks like the only way to get the full max score is to have your score loop over at the end of a bonus stage, as the points rapidly count up. That's what happened to me, and I even took photos of it happening. They were on my phone though, so they aren't good quality. (I used a real camera for the one I posted)

ScorePause.png.16e175ea002ddcdbbadddcc206d695d6.png

I paused right in front of the final balloon to get my camera. The arrow is pointing at my lives to prove I had two left. 🙂

ScoreCounting.png.810b62bcca363e132063c7488c2c6b25.png

ScoreLoops.png.6bf914ab38ca20b284f19d12df0e69d4.png

Edited by Jynx
  • Like 2