IGNORED

Games You Have Beaten Recently?

Nightowljrm

9 hours ago, G-type said:

Some strange design choices in this one, like not showing the “Metal gear” weapon

I enjoyed finally playing the MSX2 versions of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 a few years ago.  They were included with the PS3 version of the Metal Gear collection.  The NES game is still a fond memory for me, but it was a lot of fun to play the first game in its original iteration.  Unlike the NES version, Metal Gear makes an appearance 😉

• Like 1

20 hours ago, G-type said:

I was using the "tranceiver trick" to freeze the pit traps. Was this a glitch or the intended game mechanism? Because I don't think it could have been beaten without it. 

Screenshot2023-10-04161242.png.7ded103e42cdb8ef6a8b65b010a740b4.png 

Well if it's in Nintendo Power I guess its all fair! I noticed the MSX version the pits opened just a bit slower that you could actually dodge them. The NES version, their so fast, that you only have a split second, and there frequently placed in such a way that there's no path between them, so you have to either freeze them, or else be pixel perfect with your movements and timing.

my wishlist for this game:

• fix the spelling and grammar mistakes (I guess you can leave "I feel asleep" for fun)
  • make doors open automatically if you are carrying the correct keycard
  • make pit traps slower
  • fight Metal Gear at the end. (planting bombs on a computer with no opposition is just not satisfying)
  • Like 1

I'd probably also have enemy awareness maintained between screens, and having them chase you across them.

A patch to fix the NES version of Metal Gear would be really cool, but ultimately rather pointless when the MSX version already exists. 🙂 On top of that, Metal Gear 2 feels like a massively improved version of Metal Gear 1, and then Metal Gear Solid feels like a remake of Metal Gear 2.

Like, if you haven't... absolutely do play the two MSX games in either way you can!

On 10/5/2023 at 1:28 AM, Sumez said:

Like, if you haven't... absolutely do play the two MSX games in either way you can!

I'm playing through the MSX Metal Gear now. So far, I'm liking it a lot better! No unnecessary walk through the jungle at the beginning, just straight into the actual game! Also, having enemies chase you onto the next screen makes being spotted have an actual consequence that you can't just resolve by leaving! Really makes a big difference and forces you to be stealthy.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, G-type said:

I'm playing through the MSX Metal Gear now. So far, I'm liking it a lot better! No unnecessary walk through the jungle at the beginning, just straight into the actual game! Also, having enemies chase you onto the next screen makes being spotted have an actual consequence that you can't just resolve by leaving! Really makes a big difference and forces you to be stealthy.

YES!

I also really appreciate the soundtrack

• Like 1

Got the Talos Principle DLC for $1.50 on sale and played through the main part of it. It's so good. It throws you straight into interesting, challenging puzzles with no tutorial and easily skippable pretentious story BS.

My main issue I had with the original game is that it has filler, often repeating the same concepts without adding a new aha moment. But this is shorter, more focused, and less BS. It's all the best parts of the original game. Dammit, I want video games to be this. I'm going to buy Talos 2 and I know it's going to have so much boring ramp up and story and filler 😭

On 10/11/2023 at 8:47 AM, G-type said:

Yes ❤️ This is the reason I always recommend this. The NES version of course is a lot more widespread in the west, but doesn't give you much of an idea of what the game was actually supposed to be like, which is sad.

Look forward to Metal Slug 2, it's the same overall concept, but better at everything. Even Metal Gear Solid feels much less unique in that context, given most of what it does gameplay-wise is directly reused from MG2!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Brigand: Oaxaca. No one's going to play it, but it's a cool CRPG in a late 90s/early 00s style. A real achievement that one guy just woke up one day and made it with no budget or experience. It's got me in the mood to procrastinate Baldur's Gate 3 more and play more stuff like Gothic or Daggerfall.

• Like 2

Finish a few in the last week or so:

• The Quarry
  • Atelier Ryza 
  • Kirby's Adventure

The Quarry was my spooky game for Halloween. Ryza is something I've been working through for the last five months or so. I knew nothing about it, but the screenshots looked neat so I bought it on a whim. I enjoyed it quite a bit and am looking forward to playing the sequels.

Kirby's Adventure was something I'd skipped out on as a kid. Really glad I finally gave it the time of day; fun game with some cool effects for an NES title.

image.jpeg.5af70ac1e1bd86fbd8ee584bccb56f81.jpeg

• Like 2

As mentioned in a different thread, I've been playing through Captain Toad Treasure Tracker.  I've technically beaten the main part of the game, and I'm now working on "100%ing" it.  For all three chapters, the bonus chapter, and the DLC chapter, I've completed ever level, found all gems, and completed every bonus objective except for the two mummy levels.  Those are pretty tricky, and long, but I'll give them another try tonight.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

sat down with a friend and we played through the Legend of Zelda: Four Swords on GBA. we both owned it, but neither had played it because it requires multiplayer. Well, we were at a Friendsgiving gathering, and decided this was the time!

It was fun. Not very challenging, but it was a really cool experience to sit down and "solve" "challenges" with a friend in real time. we're both big Zelda fans, me in particular, so this brought an extra sense of accomplishment.

Sorry for no picture, but my GBA died right as the final cutscene was playing. (the battery light doesn't work, and had alternated between red and green for the full hour+ that we were playing). When my screen went black, i popped over to check on his, but he got booted back to the title screen. 😭  Had to check out the ending on YouTube to make sure it wasn't a false finish. 

We both decided that we needed to make LoZ: Four Swords Adventures (GCN) a priority in the coming year. Neither of us has beaten it because we both wanted the "true" experience.

• Like 1