IGNORED

Games You Have Beaten Recently?

Nightowljrm

8 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Nice. My PB is 685k. If I ever get decent at 19 speed a fluke maxout might happen.

19 speed took forever for me to get decent at.  Still screw up all the time at it.  19 maxout is probably my next goal but that is much harder (current pb is 820k)

A friend of mine did his level 19 maxout as the next one after the level 18 one. As in, he simply didn't play level 18 starts until he had the level 19 maxout. 😛

I can't remember how long it took him to get that second maxout, but it probably wouldn't be much of an exaggeration if I said it was close to another year.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
22 minutes ago, Webhead123 said:

Worth the time and money?

Yeah, I mean in the sense that I definitely wanted to play it for reference.

And for that little time and money, those are complete write-offs. People spend more on a morning muffin, or more time watching videos of cats on YouTube.

I did think Edith Finch was a superior game experience, for what it's worth.  Gone Home was about the same.

And for a little more background, I want to do a series on my top 100 favorite games in the near future,and I'm trying to get to as many remaining notable games as I can in the meantime.

• Thanks 1

On 8/22/2023 at 10:12 AM, Reed Rothchild said:

Yeah, I mean in the sense that I definitely wanted to play it for reference.

And for that little time and money, those are complete write-offs. People spend more on a morning muffin, or more time watching videos of cats on YouTube.

I did think Edith Finch was a superior game experience, for what it's worth.  Gone Home was about the same.

And for a little more background, I want to do a series on my top 100 favorite games in the near future,and I'm trying to get to as many remaining notable games as I can in the meantime.

It's a fair point. I've tried my hand at a few of these "experience" type games and I can appreciate the artistry and grand ideas behind some of them. They don't always fully coalesce, and I find many get too entangled in allegory or raw sentimentality. So, it's a genre that I'm ever curious about but have yet to meet one that sparks something truly deeper. The Talos Principle seemed to come pretty close, though itself quite heavy-handed in all its metaphor.

And I'd be super curious to see a "favorite 100" list from you. I've thought about doing one myself for a couple of years, although mine would be something like a "100 most significant". That being, there are certainly some games that were incredibly important and dear to me that I can't (or won't) continue playing for various reasons but that makes them no less "favorite" to me. I have also played significantly fewer "modern" games, so my list would certainly be slanted toward offerings from the 80's, 90's and early 2000's. Still, those kinds of lists are always enjoyable to read.

image.jpeg.346a2944bc8707bb129cd5d0fe48b767.jpeg

image.jpeg.b43dd2b99cb1833aa97ca6d489b15f51.jpeg

image.jpeg.1fa4a5766e2d74afd95405fd84520c1c.jpeg

image.jpeg.8aa9a4fa540e0a2bfc4d1d46bd087ab2.jpeg

Beat the PAL release of Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell on GameCube. Made use of the GBA Connectivity feature (which shows maps and guard locations) and weapon that are exclusive to the GameCube version of the game. The GBA Connectivity can also be used to unlock levels in the GBA version.

image.jpeg.5b59ba82218d0fcf36115db979f01a7b.jpeg

image.jpeg.6d8b6330804f7bf2dcd999eba33d0d33.jpeg

Beat Sonic the Hedgehog in Sonic Origins Plus on Switch (played the Anniversary mode) and unlocked the Mirror mode. I like the added cutscenes that play at the beginning and ending, and the addition of not only the Spin Dash but also the Drop Dash.

Events Team · Posted

Just finished Control.  I'm not super into modern era games (I guess this was PS4 originally but still).  But I ended up completing 100% of the standard missions (couldn't complete 2 side quests due to difficulty) and put in 72 hours in total.  I don't think I've ever put that much time into a game on a single play through.  FF7 was 50 or 60 if I recall.

Went in blind, just downloaded from PS+ because it looked interesting and I couldn't be more impressed.  Awesome mechanics/powers, just the right amount of challenge, and killer atmosphere.  Wow.

kZuu7RcHultdoVUuGsReuGcq.png

• Like 3

Administrator · Posted
36 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

Just finished Control.  I'm not super into modern era games (I guess this was PS4 originally but still).  But I ended up completing 100% of the standard missions (couldn't complete 2 side quests due to difficulty) and put in 72 hours in total.  I don't think I've ever put that much time into a game on a single play through.  FF7 was 50 or 60 if I recall.

Went in blind, just downloaded from PS+ because it looked interesting and I couldn't be more impressed.  Awesome mechanics/powers, just the right amount of challenge, and killer atmosphere.  Wow.

I've heard a lot of good things about this over the years. It's on the giant list, maybe I'll bump it up a few imaginary spots. 

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, JamesRobot said:

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

I've heard a lot of good things about this over the years. It's on the giant list, maybe I'll bump it up a few imaginary spots. 

I'm actually most of the way through it as we speak (just killed that bastard Hartman last night).

I'm really having a good time with it, just like how I enjoyed Alan Wake a lot.  Really hoping someone releases a physical for the sequel.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Events Team · Posted
3 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I'm really having a good time with it, just like how I enjoyed Alan Wake a lot. 

I felt the same about it early on...

Spoiler

and didn't realize they were connected (let alone the same studio) til later in the game. 

The Alan Wake remaster is next on my list and I'll probably ask for AW 2 for Christmas.

• Like 1

Post Void. It's an FPS roguelike that's literally 5 minutes long. It's fantastic.

The people who complain that adults need easy modes to respect their time are wrong. Games need skip-the-easy modes that lets you play only the most engaging content and not waste my precious adult time with bloated BS to justify some pricetag. I wish more games had the balls to be this short and focused. It's like if Robotron was an FPS.

• Like 1

Well, it's done. First play through of Baldur's Gate 3 completed. What a journey. Seriously one of the best games I've played in years and easily a contender for my top 10 favorite game experiences of all time. The campaign clock says 140 hours of play time...and that was even with me ignoring a fair bit of subplot content. There are areas of some of the maps that I didn't even explore. While there is certainly a central plot thread that the story follows, for all the space around that central thread the game does an excellent job not just of making player choice matter but making the player feel like it matters. Sometimes it's in little ways and sometimes in big ones but consequences of your choices make themselves apparent throughout the game. I'd be lying if I said the game didn't stir a few emotions in the old ticker. The writing is something BG3 did particularly well.

No, it isn't perfect. As impressively ambitious as it is, it still has occasional bugs and minor inconsistencies with some of its systems. Owing to its depth and complexity, the game also doesn't adequately explain a few of its mechanisms or systems, which can lead to moments of frustration from time to time. But against the sheer scope of what the developers built here and the frankly insane level of craft that's on display, none of that amounts to significant criticism. There is room for them to do further clean up and they've already been aggressively releasing patches to do just that.

So, if any game fits the classification of a "10", I think this one does. While I'm tempted to dock it a half-point just for the occasional technical issue, I don't think I can do that and still be fair to the game. If I looked closely at any other "10" game I can think of, I'm certain I'd find at least something of comparable significance to quibble about and few games are as ambitious and pull themselves together as well as this one. So, 10/10.

Now, time for another play through. I've got a lot of choices to make differently, new side quests to follow and regions of the map to explore. Adventure awaits.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 4

Administrator · Posted
8 minutes ago, Webhead123 said:

Well, it's done. First play through of Baldur's Gate 3 completed. What a journey. Seriously one of the best games I've played in years and easily a contender for my top 10 favorite game experiences of all time. The campaign clock says 140 hours of play time...and that was even with me ignoring a fair bit of subplot content. There are areas of some of the maps that I didn't even explore. While there is certainly a central plot thread that the story follows, for all the space around that central thread the game does an excellent job not just of making player choice matter but making the player feel like it matters. Sometimes it's in little ways and sometimes in big ones but consequences of your choices make themselves apparent throughout the game. I'd be lying if I said the game didn't stir a few emotions in the old ticker. The writing is something BG3 did particularly well.

No, it isn't perfect. As impressively ambitious as it is, it still has occasional bugs and minor inconsistencies with some of its systems. Owing to its depth and complexity, the game also doesn't adequately explain a few of its mechanisms or systems, which can lead to moments of frustration from time to time. But against the sheer scope of what the developers built here and the frankly insane level of craft that's on display, none of that amounts to significant criticism. There is room for them to do further clean up and they've already been aggressively releasing patches to do just that.

So, if any game fits the classification of a "10", I think this one does. While I'm tempted to dock it a half-point just for the occasional technical issue, I don't think I can do that and still be fair to the game. If I looked closely at any other "10" game I can think of, I'm certain I'd find at least something of comparable significance to quibble about and few games are as ambitious and pull themselves together as well as this one. So, 10/10.

Now, time for another play through. I've got a lot of choices to make differently, new side quests to follow and regions of the map to explore. Adventure awaits.

Nice! I'm not too far in yet, but one of my favourite things to do is take an otherwise difficult encounter, lure them to a spot with my druid in cat form, and have someone else sneak up and push them into a chasm. Sure, I don't get loot (pickpocket first!), but it's hilarious every time. The freedom of approach is great. 

• Like 1