Rooster

What do you use to shave?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Preferred shaving method?

• I don't shave.
    • Regular cartridge razor
    • Electric razor
    • Safety razor
    • Other (comment if you choose this one)
    • Straight razor

I'm sort of considering other options when it comes to shaving.  I usually use an electric razor, but sometimes I use a cartridge razor if I need to make sure I do a good job.  I've heard people talking about the benefits and disadvantages of other types of shaving.  What do you all use?

I've used a straight razor in the past. You have to be all in on taking care of them and going through the somewhat extended prep of using one, but they can give you a satisfying shave.

Nowadays, I use a cartridge type since I don't have as much time in the morning as I used to.

41 minutes ago, Scrobins said:

I've used just about everything, trying to deal with really bad razor burn on my neck. Between my safety razor and a fairly strong acidic cream, I've found something that works well for me.

How much extra time does a safety razor take, and is it worth it?

I used to use a safety razor with shaving soap - I found it getting harder and harder to get consistently (even within a single pack) good blades.  

I switched to a gillette fusion 5 blade which was pretty good if a tad pricey.

Then gillette decided to lecture me with those godawful commercials.  So I switched to Harry's - they seem to last a bit longer and are ertainly cheaper. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rooster said:

A safety razor takes almost no extra time beyond shaving your face properly with a cartridge razor.

The only extra time is using a decent shaving soap instead of cream from a can, and changing to a fresh blade by taking apart the razor rather than just popping on a new cartridge.

But the shave quality is at least as good, and you pay a nickel per blade instead of whatever obscene price Gillette is charging these days.

When I shaved regularly I would do it in the shower (It opens ya pores up, I had less irritation ymmv) with just disposables, but I like having a beard so now I just keep it clean with an electric trimmer and scissors and the edges with a disposable.

Always wanted a fancy shave setup but never wanted to take the time.

Moderator · Posted
7 hours ago, Rooster said:

Beyond the slight learning curve to handling it differently, there’s no extra time at all. Changing razors when needed and using shaving soap that you whip up in a mug to lather your face is not adding time to your process.

I use a bevel safety razor.

10 minutes ago, drxandy said:

When I shaved regularly I would do it in the shower (It opens ya pores up, I had less irritation ymmv) with just disposables, but I like having a beard so now I just keep it clean with an electric trimmer and scissors and the edges with a disposable.

Always wanted a fancy shave setup but never wanted to take the time.

I used to shave before showering, but recently I decided to try after showering and it makes a huge difference.

• Like 2

Have a hearty beard but like to stay trimmed up, use both a standard electric Norelco for trimming and a Norelco OneBlade thingy for cheeks/neck.  In and out in about 5-7 mins not too bad.

For the bearded folk, I want to know what oils/conditioners you use.  I'm currently enjoying the Mitch MVRCK brand.

I can only go so far with facial hair as I have a form psoriasis that flairs up a lot, scalp, eyebrows, mustache and goatee so have to keep it maintained or its like I've been attacked by low grit sandpaper followed by gasoline.  So far I have tried disposables, dollar shave club razors, and currently I bought a Manscaped brand kit which worked great at first but now the damn electric razor "lawnmower 2.0" doesn't seem to hold a charge anymore, their straight razors aka "the plow" are good for the most part. 

I use the basic gillette fusion as it's the only one I've found in years that doesn't mess my face up.  I've tried many others, even mail away Harry's and it doesn't cut as well and tends to hurt.  Creams and the rest do me no good either, so just a hot steam in the shower with a mirror is best.  I find that one I do use it can last months for me, usually it is seriously falling apart before I quit so I can make a 4pk last like a year.  The trick is you get this annoying period for a couple weeks after a month of use, and if you push through it (and still not as bad as the others and still cuts smooth too), you hit this other side of that rough patch it lasts until it literally fails.  It may take a few more passes, not like electric, but you get the idea, but it keeps on working.

Safety razor all the way. I use to get horrible ingrowned hairs that would get infected when I was using a Mach 3. I have been using a safety razor for years now and have not looked back. I noticed some ppl here are saying the time it takes is the same as before. I don't agree tho it doesn't take a ton more time. I always do two passes. So I shave then have to lather up again and repeat in a different direction. I would not recommend only doing one pass. I know some ppl say to do three but I stick with two. The shave I get is usually better than I would get using a Mach 3 and is quite a bunch cheaper. I recommend getting a brush and using shaving cream for wet shaving. Personally I'm not a fan of the mug hard soaps and strongly prefer Taylor of bond shaving cream 

Hope this information can help