IGNORED

Music Debate 42: The Beatles

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Score explanations down below

5 hours ago, spacepup said:

Anyway, I think we can be mature enough to compartmentalize 'cultural impact' versus 'personal enjoyment.'  In terms of personal enjoyment and my own personal tastes, I just don't care for them and never have.  I don't listen to and rate my music interests based on what OTHER people like.  

This I get.  I can completely understand the distaste for that stuff, trust me.  I dont like EVERYTHING they did either, mostly the early stuff.  But for anyone to say they were overrated doesn't understand the extreme impact they had in all elements of music.  They basically help start the metal genre by influencing Black Sabbath.  Mainly Ozzy.  Theres a great clip from Howard Stern where I think Ozzy AND Paul McCartney are on the same show and when Ozzy meets Paul he gets basically starstruck.  

Here ya go

Edited by guitarzombie
  • Like 1

It’s funny because a buddy of mine just did a troll post on Facebook about how the Beatles are a bullshit band, just to see reactions I’d assume....

i rated 10/10 and I don’t even listen to the Beatles. Like em or not, they changed the coarse of music history as we know it. Respect the Beatles 

Editorials Team · Posted
59 minutes ago, 8-bit guerilla said:

It’s funny because a buddy of mine just did a troll post on Facebook about how the Beatles are a bullshit band, just to see reactions I’d assume....

i rated 10/10 and I don’t even listen to the Beatles. Like em or not, they changed the coarse of music history as we know it. Respect the Beatles 

Argh!

Oh well.  At least we're consistent.

5 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

This I get.  I can completely understand the distaste for that stuff, trust me.  I dont like EVERYTHING they did either, mostly the early stuff.  But for anyone to say they were overrated doesn't understand the extreme impact they had in all elements of music.  They basically help start the metal genre by influencing Black Sabbath.  Mainly Ozzy.  Theres a great clip from Howard Stern where I think Ozzy AND Paul McCartney are on the same show and when Ozzy meets Paul he gets basically starstruck.  

Tony Iomi has also talked about The Beatles being an influence on them.  

I voted 8 because I love their music, but there is a lot of filler. My most listened to albums are Rubber Soul, Abbey Road, White Album, and Revolver. I can do without Magical Mystery Tour all together. Then the first few albums are just ok for a radio listen. 

On 12/23/2019 at 3:24 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

Argh!

Oh well.  At least we're consistent.

I know I know. Normally I work in the parameters of the poll rules. But this time it’s a little different. I dont dislike their songs. I appreciate a lot of their early rock n roll stuff. like... pre acid Beatles. Even the popular ones that people flog to death. Most popular are never the best in my opinion. I just don’t seek them out to listen as much as I should. Been meaning to get into  Dylan too but ..long winded redundant riffs don’t move me.

I will abide poll regulations from now on, hah. 

On 12/23/2019 at 6:04 PM, themisfit138 said:

Tony Iomi has also talked about The Beatles being an influence on them.  

I voted 8 because I love their music, but there is a lot of filler. My most listened to albums are Rubber Soul, Abbey Road, White Album, and Revolver. I can do without Magical Mystery Tour all together. Then the first few albums are just ok for a radio listen. 

The second half of the Magical Mystery Tour LP  is awesome, especially Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane. The first half with the MMT material is a little weaker but still has some great stuff such as Fool on the Hill and I Am the Walrus.

36 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

The second half of the Magical Mystery Tour LP  is awesome, especially Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane. The first half with the MMT material is a little weaker but still has some great stuff such as Fool on the Hill and I Am the Walrus.

Yea MMT has some great gems on it. I keep coming back to "Your Mother Should Know". "Baby You're a Rich Man" is a lot of fun too.

On 12/19/2019 at 10:45 AM, doner24 said:

It’s a hipster thing to hate on the Beatles now days. They might not have been the best musicians of their era, but their songwriting still holds up against nearly everyone. Their output in such a small amount of years is pretty crazy, especially since it varies so much sonically from the start to the finish. 

☝️
This exactly

Great songwriting, huge catalog, and lots of variety 

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, 8-bit guerilla said:

Sure they did.

A021BEE7-AE3E-47E7-A184-25754CB0E44C.jpeg

That's just some bullshit Ringo dreamed up on a hippie head full of acid and that song is terrible.  I'll concede the Magical Mystery Tour bus, but they got nothing nearly as cool as the George Barris Kustom Monkee Mobile.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

That's just some bullshit Ringo dreamed up on a hippie head full of acid and that song is terrible.  I'll concede the Magical Mystery Tour bus, but they got nothing nearly as cool as the George Barris Kustom Monkee Mobile.

The monkee mobile is volumes cooler than the monkees or the Beatles. Agreed

• Haha 1

On 12/19/2019 at 11:09 AM, JamesRobot said:

Beatles? Maybe a 3. 

Now, The Monkees?  There's a band for you. They were a major influence on The Beatles.

You know... I never considered the monkees until this thread. My sister used to love the show, but I never took them seriously as a band. Just checked em out again and they were pretty awesome! Way cooler dudes than the Beatles anyway..Lennon was kinda a prick. And ringo...well... he’s ringo. Paul and George are alright tho.

So, are the monkees basically sober Beatles?

• Haha 1

Events Team · Posted
37 minutes ago, 8-bit guerilla said:

You know... I never considered the monkees until this thread. My sister used to love the show, but I never took them seriously as a band. Just checked em out again and they were pretty awesome! Way cooler dudes than the Beatles anyway..Lennon was kinda a prick. And ringo...well... he’s ringo. Paul and George are alright tho.

So, are the monkees basically sober Beatles?

They def had the squeaky clean image but by the late 60s they were pretty much on the same LSD bent as the Beatles as evidenced by the Monkees' movie flop Head.  As Fred Flintstone would say, "It's all just bug music."

image.png.271c9b997d0f4005829b8dee1544b05e.png 

4 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

The Monkees were for milquetoast white people :P.  I liked em, as a kid though.  But they're spin off junk 😉

My wife actually likes the Monkees!  I just love giving her a hard time about it; hee hee

So if they didn't write their own songs or play their own instruments, would that count as fake music? 😄 

Edited by Estil

On 12/26/2019 at 8:50 AM, Jonest3 said:

☝️
This exactly

Great songwriting, huge catalog, and lots of variety 

It doesn't have to be a hipster thing to dislike the Beatles. I gave them a 5 (i think it was last week or something when I votes un the pole) because of who they are. But I've always disliked their music save for one or two songs. For someone who lives through it, would make sense to see them as groundbreaking because they were the first band you heard doing alot of crazy things in music. Having been born in '91 I heard a swarm of other bands that followed the Beatles, at the same time so they don't seem particularly special.

To be honest even amonst their peers, The Who, Stones, Doors, etc they are at the bottom of the list for me

• 4 months later...