IGNORED

Music Debate 42: The Beatles

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Score explanations down below

Events Team · Posted
37 minutes ago, themisfit138 said:

What is all this Monkees talk? Damn hipsters. The Monkees couldn’t write songs like these.

Ain't no neck beards, skinny jeans, or irony that smells like BO up in here.  This mafk so fresh and so clean.

After working at the music store, I can confirm that today's modern Beatles audience is primarily comprised of yuppies and hipsters.

Edited by JamesRobot
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

Ain't no neck beards, skinny jeans, or irony that smells like BO up in here.  This mafk so fresh and so clean.

After working at the music store, I can confirm that today's modern Beatles audience is primarily comprised of yuppies and hipsters.

Does a Neck beard, tie die, lsd, and Coldplay make a hipster?

10/10 Is this even up for debate? 

I adore The Beatles. It is incredible how much stellar material they put out in a relatively short amount of time. Like 7 years? Their music evolved so radically from beginning to their end.

Lennon-McCartney were such a powerhouse of composing songs.  And The Beatles musical catalogue got even stronger once George Harrison was allowed more songs as his writing abilities improved. 

I love their early rock N roll merseybeat sound  "With the Beatles" 1963, folky inspired "Rubber Soul" 1965, experimental "Revolver" 1966, "White Album" 1968 getting more independent with distinct writing styles from each member. I could go on. I enjoy all of their albums because each one brings Something New. I've listened to all of their songs. And their albums front to back so many times.

It is alarming how many people dismiss the Beatles just based on their extremely tired and overplayed radio selection. Go below that top surface to experience much better songs. The Beatles aren't just "Come Together" , "Let it Be", and "Hey Jude". You think you know the Beatles just by listening to the radio?

And then you can get into all of their solo careers. These guys were truly great. And there is so much stories and information about them. You've got the movies which are great. Check out "A Hard Days Night".

I know a lot of y'all are joking about the Monkees. I'll say that I like them too. They've got some great songs. Yes they used session musicians but you cant deny they have great songs. I applaud them for wanting to break from that cycle and start writing and producing their own music.

Edited by acromite53

Beatles achieved so much in such a short period of time and changed the world forever that it's hilarious when people try to discredit all sorts of stuff.

One thing that doesn't get brought up often enough is they essentially ended segregation in Southern United States on the spot. They refused to play in front of a crowd where blacks had to sit separately from whites, and literally in handfuls of hours segregated seating in the South was done away with forever

6 hours ago, SuperJimtendo said:

Coming to denver comic con. Not the Beatles! This con doesn't invite Amatuers 

AE7C7196-3A43-414C-B6E8-C39C314F4A96.png

So you're really saying that Colorado is such a messed up place with their strange obsession with trying to make anything possible out of cauliflower that you couldn't even get Ringo to go there if you paid him. 

Moderator · Posted
6 hours ago, acromite53 said:

10/10 Is this even up for debate? 

I adore The Beatles. It is incredible how much stellar material they put out in a relatively short amount of time. Like 7 years? Their music evolved so radically from beginning to their end.

Lennon-McCartney were such a powerhouse of composing songs.  And The Beatles musical catalogue got even stronger once George Harrison was allowed more songs as his writing abilities improved. 

I love their early rock N roll merseybeat sound  "With the Beatles" 1963, folky inspired "Rubber Soul" 1965, experimental "Revolver" 1966, "White Album" 1968 getting more independent with distinct writing styles from each member. I could go on. I enjoy all of their albums because each one brings Something New. I've listened to all of their songs. And their albums front to back so many times.

It is alarming how many people dismiss the Beatles just based on their extremely tired and overplayed radio selection. Go below that top surface to experience much better songs. The Beatles aren't just "Come Together" , "Let it Be", and "Hey Jude". You think you know the Beatles just by listening to the radio?

And then you can get into all of their solo careers. These guys were truly great. And there is so much stories and information about them. You've got the movies which are great. Check out "A Hard Days Night".

I know a lot of y'all are joking about the Monkees. I'll say that I like them too. They've got some great songs. Yes they used session musicians but you cant deny they have great songs. I applaud them for wanting to break from that cycle and start writing and producing their own music.

Ha, you literally called out my 3 least favorite songs of theirs. Agree completely with you. 

• Like 1

Basically there were three phases of the Beatles - the average of the three brings the score down to maybe a 7 - but at the peak they were a 10.

Their best period IMHO was Rubber Soul to Sgt. Peppers.

Their earlier stuff was mostly pop - and their early success was more due to a fad appeal rather than creating music that was way ahead of most of what else was on the popular music scene at the time.

After Sgt. Peppers they began to take themselves too seriously - they still did some excellent stuff but they stuffed a lot of mediocre (although technically polished) stuff in with it.   

Edited by Wandering Tellurian