Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Score explanations down below

18 hours ago, trj22487 said:

11/10

You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)

This track is so good!

If you trolls wanted a good TV show based on a band, you'd be watching The Partridge Family, come on now! 😛

The Monkees never played their own instruments for the longest time, that alone leaves them in the dust to me.

It was a 4/10 for me according the key. They do have some good songs I like to listen to once in a while, but mostly I wouldn't listen to them if they went on the station. They have huge history though inspiring so many musicians and bands, so mad respect for them for that. Just with my music taste, it is a 4/10.

If you really want to hear what the Beatles are about, Let it Be, Hey Jude, Love Me Do are NOT good examples.  These are real winners: If I Fell, In My Life, Something, Here There and Everywhere, A Day in the Life, The Long and Winding Road and Blackbird.  These are just all masterclasses on incredibly smart and catchy song writing.  

Ill even throw in George's original demo version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps which to me is just so much better than the album version.  The demo is so gentle, while the album version is too rocked up and to me, loses the power of the song.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wandering Tellurian said:

I will say that their hoax/gag/whatever you want to call it with the whole Paul is dead thing was a pretty brilliant markteting trick.  I still remember loading up an old reel to reel so play things backward so I could hear "Turn me on dead man."

I dont think it was a marketing trick at all.  I do love it too though.  I really enjoy conspiracy theories, even though I dont believe any one of them.

• Like 1

Even though I don't listen to them often, I had to give them an 8. Their importance is too big to ignore, and for their time they were revolutionary. If they came out today, maybe not so much, but I don't think you'd have much of the brilliant rock music of the past 40 years without The Beatles. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

I dont think it was a marketing trick at all.  I do love it too though.  I really enjoy conspiracy theories, even though I dont believe any one of them.

We'll never know for sure - but there so many little details that kept surfacing that even at the time I thought it was a ploy.  I do know that it generated massive amounts of interest (and increased sales).  

1 hour ago, Wandering Tellurian said:

We'll never know for sure - but there so many little details that kept surfacing that even at the time I thought it was a ploy.  I do know that it generated massive amounts of interest (and increased sales).  

Definitely not a marketing trick or planned. It's all fun to read about, But in the end it was always just fans looking way to much into things that didn't mean anything. Even the backwards track. The Beatles thought the whole thing was absurd. The only time it was referenced by them was in the song "Glass Onion" which also had no meaning. "Here's another clue for you all, the walrus was Paul".

2 minutes ago, acromite53 said:

Definitely not a marketing trick or planned. It's all fun to read about, But in the end it was always just fans looking way to much into things that didn't mean anything. Even the backwards track. The Beatles thought the whole thing was absurd. The only time it was referenced by them was in the song "Glass Onion" which also had no meaning. "Here's another clue for you all, the walrus was Paul".

I would expect that if it occurred it would be denied. And given the nature of the situation it would have been very easy to leak clues in the guise of fan revelations.  We   will likely never know unless there is a deathbed revelation - but a good chunk of the listening audience back when believed it was a hoax - and it may not have been initiated as a marketing gimmick (although it certainly turned out that way) but as a big joke.

3 hours ago, Wandering Tellurian said:

How did the beatles in the late 60s need any more interest?  By 6 they were do damn popular that they STOPPED TOURING because of all the problems it was causing.  John Lennon wasn't too far off when he said they were more popular than Jesus.

EDIT.  I wanted to add the "I buried Paul" thing is John saying Cranberry Sauce and was totally obvious when the Anthology came out.  If they were planting it, they said "What sounds like "I buried Paul" to confuse people?" or if they did why not say "I buried Paul" to begin with if it was gonna be so buried in the mix.  Only to be outsed 30 years later?

Edited by guitarzombie

6 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

How did the beatles in the late 60s need any more interest?  By 6 they were do damn popular that they STOPPED TOURING because of all the problems it was causing.  John Lennon wasn't too far off when he said they were more popular than Jesus.

EDIT.  I wanted to add the "I buried Paul" thing is John saying Cranberry Sauce and was totally obvious when the Anthology came out.  If they were planting it, they said "What sounds like "I buried Paul" to confuse people?" or if they did why not say "I buried Paul" to begin with if it was gonna be so buried in the mix.  Only to be outsed 30 years later?

It wasn't a matter of generating more interest if it was just a joke - in other words they did it just for grins. They were certainly intelligent enough to plan such a thing out.  

And some of the "clues" might not have been planted by them - some might have been genuinely "discovered" (however inaccurately)  by their adoring (if fanatic) fans.

9 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I'd point out that scoring key explicitly states how to go by your own enjoyment of the artist as opposed to the "impact" they made, but people have been ignoring that since day one.

That assumes that I was enjoying the music as opposed to, shall we say,  an enhanced environment..............

Administrator · Posted
11 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I'd point out that scoring key explicitly states how to go by your own enjoyment of the artist as opposed to the "impact" they made, but people have been ignoring that since day one.

Based on this, I chose a 3.  

Yes yes, they had major impact, were super successful, talented obviously, and that's great and if other people love their music, good for them.

I just personally don't get that excited about their music and never have.  And yes, I've listened to other songs besides the super popular ones.  People get ridiculously aggressive regarding other people's opinions of music (which is of course, subjective).  God forbid you don't LOVE the Beatles cause you'll get blasted for it haha.  

Anyway, I think we can be mature enough to compartmentalize 'cultural impact' versus 'personal enjoyment.'  In terms of personal enjoyment and my own personal tastes, I just don't care for them and never have.  I don't listen to and rate my music interests based on what OTHER people like.  

• Like 1