IGNORED

2020 MLB Thread

Bearcat-Doug

Administrator · Posted
12 minutes ago, Estil said:

But why would they cancel them completely because of the virus?  I mean it's one thing to sit out until it runs its course but to do away with it for keeps?  I thought they only time they do that is if there's really not enough interest (like to the point where they can't even get enough players) or if the program has really flagrantly disgraced itself (like CCNY back in the early 50s; sadly we had to skip the whole 1953 season ourselves because of that scandal; or something related to it, I forget off the top of my head...) beyond all repair.

...you do realize that sports cost huge gobs of money that isn't coming in if said sports aren't being played?    You're not seeing the bigger picture here.

Just now, captmorgandrinker said:

...you do realize that sports cost huge gobs of money that isn't coming in if said sports aren't being played?    You're not seeing the bigger picture here.

Aaaaaand you think we can take that loss any better? 😛  

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Reed Rothchild said:

Half of FCS has already had to shut 'er down.  Call it the domino effect from losing OOC games, starting with the Big 10 and Ivy.

I doubt you see any non-Power 5 this year.

D3 isn't looking too good either, all the Ohio ones (Mount Union) shut 'er down for the fall.

Administrator · Posted
10 minutes ago, Estil said:

I take it "you" as in the university and the state, not me personally right?

No, you personally.   

I thought you were talking about you not being able to work due to COVID, not Kentucky being able to do whatever.   And Reed's right, programs like that are fine, it's the smaller ones that get the crumbs of the pie that are in peril.

5 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Yes.  Period.  You'll play your conference schedule in some form, and you'll get your TV money and your bowl games monies.  The UKs of the world are fine.

Sorry I was thinking b-ball not football.  Yeah for football you only get what, 3-4 non-conference games at most?  Though I must say that while we may be the Evil Empire in basketball we are very much the Chicago Cubs of SEC football.  Shoot I even redid the lyrics of Go Cubs Go to Go Cats Go to make it about our underdog-ish football team! 😄   Maybe I'll post them if you're all nice to me 🙂 

2 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

Lol, yeah I fell asleep after the first inning and didn't get to see the fireworks!

You also missed the Reds losing again. They gave up runs in every inning from the third to the ninth. I didn't think the bullpen could be worse than last year, but somehow they are.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

1 hour ago, BriGuy82 said:

Yeah it's not lookin to good so far. 

I know, we'll be lucky at this rate if they'll even make it to ten games before the rest of the season has to be called off 😞  Though I suppose that's better than the reason water polo at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta had to be canceled! 😄 

11 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

You also missed the Reds losing again. They gave up runs in every inning from the third to the ninth. I didn't think the bullpen could be worse than last year, but somehow they are.

I forget did you say you were old enough to remember the 70s Big Red Machine or not?

On 7/28/2020 at 3:43 PM, captmorgandrinker said:

I doubt you see any non-Power 5 this year.

D3 isn't looking too good either, all the Ohio ones (Mount Union) shut 'er down for the fall.

But in D3 (as well as the Ivy League for that matter) they can't get athletic scholarships right?  So apparently they only reason they do sports like running...

Edited by Estil

5 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

What's wrong with competing in running sports in college?  😉

Nothing if you're on scholarship or going for the Olympics...but whoever heard of running for fun!?!? 😄   The hell kind of fun is that??? 😄 

Edited by Estil

18 minutes ago, Estil said:

Nothing if you're on scholarship or going for the Olympics...but whoever heard of running for fun!?!? 😄   The hell kind of fun is that??? 😄 

I know you are joking (one of my favorite lines from that trilogy), but trust me when I say that long distance running is as good of a stress reliever as video games are.  I wish my knees still allowed me to do it, but unfortunately, I have to stick with biking now.