IGNORED

2020 MLB Thread

Bearcat-Doug

On 8/20/2020 at 11:41 AM, Ausden said:

That's crazy. Did he get fired? Ken Harrelson for the Sox would say some crazy things, but dang; not like that.

He got suspended. I'm guessing they will keep him out for the year and hope that everyone forgets it by next season. Fox already took him off if the NFL broadcasts for this season.

On 8/20/2020 at 12:40 PM, BriGuy82 said:

Somewhere Marge Schott, her racist st bernard and Hitler are smiling. 

You forgot how she just loves guys with earrings 😄  Oh wait she didn't...

You know how the second of three basic rules of firearms safety is to always treat all firearms as if it's loaded and ready to fire?  Wouldn't you think the same deal applies to broadcasting?  Treat all mikes as if they're on and ready to broadcast.  Obviously he forgot to do that. 😞 

Edited by Estil

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BriGuy82 said:

@Bearcat-Doug The reds might be in? I guess I'll have to root for them in the NL. Although I typically root for any team managed by Donnie baseball if the Yankees aren't playing them. 

They should be in, but I wouldn't be shocked if they get swept by the Twins over the weekend and just miss making it. 

35 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

They should be in, but I wouldn't be shocked if they get swept by the Twins over the weekend and just miss making it. 

Both teams with a lot to play for.  Twins are 1 game up in the division and the White Sox hold the tie breaker.  Winning the division matters, because no matter what the players say, they don't want to play the Yankees AGAIN in the first round. 

Twins have a 16 game playoff game losing streak going.  One more loss and they will hold the all time record in all of major professional sports! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ausden said:

I don't know man, they went from "going for best record in baseball" to struggling to not come close to .500 record. Huge series agains the Cubs this weekend.

You have an exciting team to watch. I'm hoping I get to see them play. Eloy, Robert, Andersen, Abreu. You guys are stacked. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, B.A. said:

Both teams with a lot to play for.  Twins are 1 game up in the division and the White Sox hold the tie breaker.  Winning the division matters, because no matter what the players say, they don't want to play the Yankees AGAIN in the first round. 

Twins have a 16 game playoff game losing streak going.  One more loss and they will hold the all time record in all of major professional sports! 

Better to have made playoffs and lost than not made the playoffs at all.  After all anything can happen in the post-season...we've seen it in all major and college sports time and time and time and time and time again...

In my beloved alma mater's case for example, we ended up on the wrong side of that back in 2004 and ended up on the right side of that back in 2014.

Astros clinch a spot with the angels loss.

So many injuries this year , its been horrible. Bregman finally back. Altuve starting to hit and back from knee injury. Losing Verlander and Yordan and Osuna has made this team very pedestrian. Pitching has been ok. Bullpen has been bad. Really bad. Offense is turning the corner again. Who knows. Alot of promising starting pitching. 

13 hours ago, BriGuy82 said:

You have an exciting team to watch. I'm hoping I get to see them play. Eloy, Robert, Andersen, Abreu. You guys are stacked. 

Stacked is an understatement. Even the bench has a ton of talent. Just not consistent. Moncada will go 0-20 and then hit 1-3 for a game or two and right back to 0-20. 

4 hours ago, Estil said:

Alright good going!  Say don't they got some sort of weird playoff format for this year, like they had to do in the NFL for 1982?

Since there are 8 teams in each league this year, there is an extra round. The opening series are best of 3, so anything could happen.

5 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Since there are 8 teams in each league this year, there is an extra round. The opening series are best of 3, so anything could happen.

Yeah IIRC for 1982 NFL they had to do eight per conference right?  The modern six per conference didn't start until 1990.

29 minutes ago, Estil said:

Yeah IIRC for 1982 NFL they had to do eight per conference right?  The modern six per conference didn't start until 1990.

Yeah, the NFL played a short season that year because if the strike. The Reds should be able to hang with any team in a short series with their starting pitching. The real question is if they can finally start scoring without having to rely on home runs.

13 hours ago, Estil said:

Better to have made playoffs and lost than not made the playoffs at all.  After all anything can happen in the post-season...we've seen it in all major and college sports time and time and time and time and time again...

In my beloved alma mater's case for example, we ended up on the wrong side of that back in 2004 and ended up on the right side of that back in 2014.

No it's not. Losing 16 games in a row is embarrassing.