IGNORED

2020 MLB Thread

Bearcat-Doug

12 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

Game between Miami and Baltimore was cancelled due to a covid outbreak. How long until the season gets cancelled?

I had a really bad feeling about this all along.  Boy can I call these things right or what? 😛 

• Like 1

This isn't a bubble situation. Teams are going city to city. Who knows how multiple Marlins got the virus. Marlins and Phillies still decided to play. This could've been any of the teams and its going to happen again. I agree I don't see this season lasting much longer. There is just so much risk. David Price is right. MLB isn't prioritizing the players safety. You think this is bad this will happen with the NFL as well. Doubt College football starts.

15 hours ago, tbone3969 said:

But its ok to cram kids and teachers into a small classroom.   We are fucked.  Anyone wanna bet on how long it takes before all schools close again?

No I never thought we were quite ready for that either.  If MLB does indeed call it off I bet the NBA/NHL will do the same.  It's pretty sad really.

Did I forget to mention how much it blows that my beloved alma mater finished the regular season in sixth place in the poll and thus on track for a two seed....and now we can never know for sure if that could've finally been our year for #9 (in 2014 and 2015 we were so so close...). 😞 

Edited by Estil

7 hours ago, Estil said:

No I never thought we were quite ready for that either.  If MLB does indeed call it off I bet the NBA/NHL will do the same.  It's pretty sad really.

NBA/NHL are keeping the players and staff confined to a 'bubble'. Those leagues set things up completely differently than MLB. MLB screwing up won't effect them.

Editorials Team · Posted
11 hours ago, Estil said:

Did I forget to mention how much it blows that my beloved alma mater finished the regular season in sixth place in the poll and thus on track for a two seed....and now we can never know for sure if that could've finally been our year for #9 (in 2014 and 2015 we were so so close...). 😞 

Could be worse.  Your alma mater could be in danger of shutting down 100 year old programs because little FCS/mid majors don't get the lions share of all college sports revenue like the P5 conferences.  That's something worth grumbling about.

In fact, FCS as a whole is in very real danger 

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Could be worse.  Your alma mater could be in danger of shutting down 100 year old programs because little FCS/mid majors don't get the lions share of all college sports revenue like the P5 conferences.  That's something worth grumbling about.

Yep.  I'd be surprised if you see conferences like the MAC playing at all this year since most of those programs generate their operating income from the non-conference ass kickings they're paid to take.

2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Could be worse.  Your alma mater could be in danger of shutting down 100 year old programs because little FCS/mid majors don't get the lions share of all college sports revenue like the P5 conferences. 

The heck is that supposed to mean?  As for "the lions share" I'd prefer some of it "trickle down" to the student athletes who make it possible.  But that's a whole 'nother (basket)ball of wax...

2 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Yep.  I'd be surprised if you see conferences like the MAC playing at all this year since most of those programs generate their operating income from the non-conference ass kickings they're paid to take.

The b-ball season doesn't start until mid-Novemberish so there's still time before we really have to decide one way or the other.

Editorials Team · Posted
12 minutes ago, Estil said:

The heck is that supposed to mean?  As for "the lions share" I'd prefer some of it "trickle down" to the student athletes who make it possible.  But that's a whole 'nother (basket)ball of wax...

I'm saying some of us might be losing our teams forever.  Missing out on one March Madness is nothing.

21 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I'm saying some of us might be losing our teams forever.  Missing out on one March Madness is nothing.

How do you figure "forever"?  I mean don't we all just kinda have to wait for this virus to run its course and then everyone goes back to normalish?

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, Estil said:

How do you figure "forever"?  I mean don't we all just kinda have to wait for this virus to run its course and then everyone goes back to normalish?

Once universities cancel sport programs, it's very hard to start them back up (especially at smaller schools).

Administrator · Posted
39 minutes ago, Estil said:

The b-ball season doesn't start until mid-Novemberish so there's still time before we really have to decide one way or the other.

I'm thinking college football.   Basketball has a little more leeway on when it can start.

The bigger mess will be if football gets pushed into spring.

Just now, captmorgandrinker said:

Once universities cancel sport programs, it's very hard to start them back up (especially at smaller schools).

But why would they cancel them completely because of the virus?  I mean it's one thing to sit out until it runs its course but to do away with it for keeps?  I thought they only time they do that is if there's really not enough interest (like to the point where they can't even get enough players) or if the program has really flagrantly disgraced itself (like CCNY back in the early 50s; sadly we had to skip the whole 1953 season ourselves because of that scandal; or something related to it, I forget off the top of my head...) beyond all repair.

2 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

I'm thinking college football.   Basketball has a little more leeway on when it can start.

The bigger mess will be if football gets pushed into spring.

I doubt they'd do that; that would just be too weird.

Editorials Team · Posted
18 minutes ago, Estil said:

I'm not typing out a whole thesis on my phone for the economics of the athletic departments for D1 midmajors.  But no, it's not that simple.  Many football programs were already barely hanging on, and needed multiple body bag games each year just to be viable.  

And of course dropping a sport can have Title IX ramifications... things are gonna be a mess.

My team, Montana, funds a significant amount of its AD with football revenue.  If we don't have a season I don't know what they'll do.  Cut women's softball?  Then we have to drop men's tennis for Title IX.  Now we don't meet the sports minimum for division 1.