IGNORED

2020 MLB Thread

Bearcat-Doug

13 hours ago, Estil said:

Better to have made playoffs and lost than not made the playoffs at all.  After all anything can happen in the post-season...we've seen it in all major and college sports time and time and time and time and time again...

2 play off runs, 2 World Series. I hope the Marlins can make it 3/3.

1 hour ago, B.A. said:

No it's not. Losing 16 games in a row is embarrassing.

Not nearly as embarrassing as say, the Pirates winning three straight division titles in 1990-92, just barely missing the World Series the last two of those...and then going the next twenty straight seasons without so much as a winning record.

Or how about the Cowboys, who won three out of four Super Bowls in 1992/1993/1995...but incredibly, the so-called "America's Team" has not made even one "Final Four" (conference title game) appearance since.  And I thought us going from 1998-2010 without any Final Fours was plenty bad enough!!!

Or how about the poor Phillies, who had to wait 97 years to get even one championship (and only two NL pennants in those 97 years) and was the first to make 10,000 losses.

Those my friend are embarrassing.

1 hour ago, Mega Tank said:

2 play off runs, 2 World Series. I hope the Marlins can make it 3/3.

Speaking of which my boyhood idol Don Mattingly (he's from fairly close to where I live) is your manager!  I wonder if this is why he chose to manage the Marlins...the Marlins tingled, the other teams...nothing 😞  One thing's for sure you won't be seeing Donnie Baseball scratching his head in Miami!! 😄 

1 hour ago, Estil said:

Not nearly as embarrassing as say, the Pirates winning three straight division titles in 1990-92, just barely missing the World Series the last two of those...and then going the next twenty straight seasons without so much as a winning record.

Or how about the Cowboys, who won three out of four Super Bowls in 1992/1993/1995...but incredibly, the so-called "America's Team" has not made even one "Final Four" (conference title game) appearance since.  And I thought us going from 1998-2010 without any Final Fours was plenty bad enough!!!

Or how about the poor Phillies, who had to wait 97 years to get even one championship (and only two NL pennants in those 97 years) and was the first to make 10,000 losses.

Those my friend are embarrassing.

I just completely disagree. Getting swept over and over and over is worse. I'm sick if seeing them not show up in the playoffs. I'd rather they not even make it then watch more pathetic efforts.

2 minutes ago, B.A. said:

I just completely disagree. Getting swept over and over and over is worse. I'm sick if seeing them not show up in the playoffs. I'd rather they not even make it then watch more pathetic efforts.

Maybe a better analogy would be how the Braves won the division every year from 1991-2005, NL pennant five out of eight times from 1991-99, and only ended up with one championship?  And that 1999 World Series I really thought the Braves would've put up a much better fight. 😛 

1 minute ago, Estil said:

Maybe a better analogy would be how the Braves won the division every year from 1991-2005, NL pennant five out of eight times from 1991-99, and only ended up with one championship?  And that 1999 World Series I really thought the Braves would've put up a much better fight. 😛 

Winning zero games is worse. This isn't losing a series we are talking about, they haven managed to win a single game since 2004 despite being there 6 times. The odds of that are unreal.

9 minutes ago, B.A. said:

Winning zero games is worse. This isn't losing a series we are talking about, they haven managed to win a single game since 2004 despite being there 6 times. The odds of that are unreal.

So basically it's kinda like this, only he'd be saying at the end, we can make the playoffs...I just hope we can win a game in the playoffs! 😞 

Editorials Team · Posted
16 hours ago, Estil said:

Better to have made playoffs and lost than not made the playoffs at all.  After all anything can happen in the post-season...we've seen it in all major and college sports time and time and time and time and time again...

Is it though?  In Oakland's case I refuse to be optimistic.

Screenshot_20200926-145211.png

Screenshot_20200926-145334.png

3 hours ago, B.A. said:

And there you have it friends!  The new record for playoff awfulness in all of major professional sports.  The Minnesota Twins, losers of 17 straight games!!!  

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

glad my astros could give you the record.

This season has been shit with injuries and bad bullpen. The playoffs feel like a restart and is all gravy from here. 

12 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

The Twins must be the Cincinnati Bengals of baseball.

No team will ever touch an 18 game postseason losing streak. EVER!

@Estil It is absolutely NOT better to have made playoffs and lost than not made the playoffs at all. I am so sick of this. It is beyond pathetic.

8 minutes ago, B.A. said:

No team will ever touch an 18 game postseason losing streak. EVER!

@Estil It is absolutely NOT better to have made playoffs and lost than not made the playoffs at all. I am so sick of this. It is beyond pathetic.

The Bengals haven't won a playoff game since 1991, so there is that. The Reds lost 1-0 in 13 innings which isn't even surprising. I thought the Bengals playing to an overtime tie Sunday was boring, but the Reds tried their best to do even worse.