IGNORED

2020 MLB Thread

Bearcat-Doug

47 minutes ago, B.A. said:

In football at least the better team usually wins.  Baseball the best teams still only wins a given game like 60% of the time, the odds of losing 18 playoff games in a row are inconceivable. 

At least the Twins have won a championship. The Bengals have lost the only two Super Bowls that they've been in. If the Bengals made it to 18 playoff games in a row I'm sure they would find a way to lose them. They have to be the worst franchise in pro sports.

Editorials Team · Posted
9 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

At least the Twins have won a championship. The Bengals have lost the only two Super Bowls that they've been in. If the Bengals made it to 18 playoff games in a row I'm sure they would find a way to lose them. They have to be the worst franchise in pro sports.

The Lions would like a word.

Moderator · Posted
26 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

The Bengals have nothing on the Vikings. 0-4 in Super Bowls and countless heartbreaking losses in the NFC Championship game. It’s tougher being a fan of a good team that consistently breaks your heart (Vikings), than a habitual bottom feeder (Bengals). We would know, we have the Timberwolves. 

14 minutes ago, doner24 said:

The Bengals have nothing on the Vikings. 0-4 in Super Bowls and countless heartbreaking losses in the NFC Championship game. It’s tougher being a fan of a good team that consistently breaks your heart (Vikings), than a habitual bottom feeder (Bengals). We would know, we have the Timberwolves. 

The Vikings got their head coach from the Bengals, so they are probably affected by some kind of secondary curse by association.

10 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Quiet everyone.  This is the MLB thread.  We need to talk about the other streak that will continue tomorrow... 10 in a row!

Quiet you, the A's won a game. You get no sympathy.

ETA: and I would submit the Timberwolves application for the worst franchise in pro sports.

1 hour ago, B.A. said:

Quiet you, the A's won a game. You get no sympathy.

ETA: and I would submit the Timberwolves application for the worst franchise in pro sports.

just dont count rona wild card round as real playoff losses. The playoffs start for real now.

Astros bullpen finally delivered for the first time all year

Edited by Quest4Nes

5 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Fine, you can be more miserable 😂

Woooo, we only needed a pandemic to save us from the single game wild card!

I do think that single game wild card is a stupid gimmick...especially when it was done after both leagues in 2012 had about as exciting wild card races as you'll ever find.

This may make me sound like a traditionalist but I kinda miss the days (prior to 1994) when you had real pennant/division races and couldn't fall back on some silly wild card.  As Bob Costas (who hates the wild card) would point out how still it would've been if we had it in 1951:

"THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!  THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!  The Dodgers get the wild card!  The Dodgers get the wild card!" 😛 

FUN FACT: Did you know that prior to the mid-70s or so you had to finish first in your conference or else you could not make the NCAA Tournament?  So in a way NCAA basketball had "mini-pennant races" as well.  Though there was one year/incident in particular (sometime in mid 70s which prompted the change) when it became obvious that in that case there really did wild cards/at large bids.

Edited by Estil

4 hours ago, Sumer said:

Ugh...both of my teams are out pretty quick...Reds from NL and White Sox from AL.  Well...time for a Bengals win on Sunday, Doug???

The Bearcats should be good for a win tomorrow. If the Bengals can't win Sunday against Jacksonville, they might get the #1 overall draft pick again.

• Like 1

For college (FB and BB), I am an Iowa Hawkeye fan, but will watch the Bearcats on occasion.  And since the Big Ten is still out until the 24th, I may just watch the Bearcats tomorrow.  Wife is an Iowa State fan (we both went to college at those respective schools in Iowa), so we will probably watch the ISU v. Oklahoma game tomorrow night.

28 minutes ago, Sumer said:

For college (FB and BB), I am an Iowa Hawkeye fan, but will watch the Bearcats on occasion.  And since the Big Ten is still out until the 24th, I may just watch the Bearcats tomorrow.  Wife is an Iowa State fan (we both went to college at those respective schools in Iowa), so we will probably watch the ISU v. Oklahoma game tomorrow night.

The Bearcats game isn't on regular TV, it's only on ESPN+ so I guess I'll have to follow along online.