IGNORED

2020 MLB Thread

Bearcat-Doug

On 10/19/2020 at 6:25 AM, Kguillemette said:

I'll be rooting for the Rays. They have been Boston's pesky little brother for so long now. We want them to win, just not against us.

I remember that one year they were in a division race with them or something and for the BoSox to stay in it, they actually had to put clothespins on their nose and hope the Yankees won their game (I think they were playing the "Oreos" or "Baltimore Cookies" as my grandpa liked to say 😄 )!!  I think this was in 2008 maybe?

On 10/19/2020 at 11:07 AM, Tulpa said:

Funniest thing about the 1959 World Series is the venue. Dodger Stadium wasn't built yet, so they played in the LA Coliseum. Here's what it looks like for baseball.

245ab3669b317abf742f32e357b4631e.jpg

At least that hard to see center/right field makeshift fence helped some.  You think that's something, look up what the Polo Grounds (old New York Giants home) field dimensions were like!!

40 minutes ago, Estil said:

Right from the start I thought that was grossly unfair how he was treated...the other fans around him were reaching for the ball just as much as he was!  I hope the ones surrounding him regularly thank God for Zeus or the Flying Spaghetti Monster or whatever that the ball didn't go an inch more a different direction or it could've been them instead!!

Yeah, they make that point in the film.

Though the aftermath was even crazier than what happened at the game.

7 minutes ago, Estil said:

If you don't me saying so your old Devil Rays name was better.

100%. i still regularly refer to them as the Devil Rays and probably always will.

they occasionally still reference the name. on the sleeve of their World Series jerseys is the old Devil Rays logo.

21 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I think Tampa Bay wins tonight setting up game 7 tomorrow.

I would like that, but the Dodgers are clearly the stronger team. Any time the White a sox are not in a series; I want that series to go to the max allotted games. Just more fun when they do 

5 hours ago, Ausden said:

I would like that, but the Dodgers are clearly the stronger team. Any time the White a sox are not in a series; I want that series to go to the max allotted games. Just more fun when they do 

I'm always up for extra baseball. Hopefully we get a winner take all game 7.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

6 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

For some reason I thought today was the 27th. At least now I don't have to worry about switching between baseball and Monday Night Football.

I think the MLB learned years ago that scheduling against the NFL wasn't always going to work out for them. 😛 At least I can't remember a Fall Classic being scheduled on a Monday night.

I feel asleep in the fifth inning. I'll have to rewatch the ending on the mlb network. Snell was pitching the best I'd ever seen him pitch. I'm not surprised they pulled him though. That's how they made it this far, by pulling their starters after 5 and then going to the best pen in baseball. That was the formula for better or worse. I'm happy for the Dodgers I really liked that team. I wish Mookie Betts was on the Yankees. 

53 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

I feel asleep in the fifth inning. I'll have to rewatch the ending on the mlb network. Snell was pitching the best I'd ever seen him pitch. I'm not surprised they pulled him though. That's how they made it this far, by pulling their starters after 5 and then going to the best pen in baseball. That was the formula for better or worse. I'm happy for the Dodgers I really liked that team. I wish Mookie Betts was on the Yankees. 

The Reds do too much of that. They manage by the spreadsheet instead of using what they can see in front of them. Pulling a starter with dominant stuff after 70+ pitches only for the bullpen to blow the game is totally a Reds move.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug