IGNORED

2020 MLB Thread

Bearcat-Doug

We got the Disney+ package, which includes ESPN+ along with Hulu.  I just set up an extra TV down in the basement arcade since I wanted a TV down there for sports while playing some games.  Watching the Bearcat game may make a good excuse to try out the new set up before the Bengals on Sunday!  😁

46 minutes ago, Sumer said:

We got the Disney+ package, which includes ESPN+ along with Hulu.  I just set up an extra TV down in the basement arcade since I wanted a TV down there for sports while playing some games.  Watching the Bearcat game may make a good excuse to try out the new set up before the Bengals on Sunday!  😁

Sounds reasonable!

• Like 1

On 10/1/2020 at 2:07 PM, Bearcat-Doug said:

I was wrong. Giving up 4 more runs in the bottom of the 8th to keep the game from even being close is the most Cincinnati thing ever.

No sir, THIS is the most Cincinnati thing ever 🙂

PS: Don'tcha just miss good ol' Riverfront Stadium? 🙂

Edited by Estil

2 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I miss the Reds and Bengals being good 30+ years ago, but Riverfront Stadium was awful.

I take it Crosley Field was a little before your time? 😉

How are their current stadiums?  And for the record my football team plays at Commonwealth Stadium.  I'll be cold, cold dead in the ground before I recognize any of that corporate naming crap! 😛 

Edited by Estil

4 hours ago, Estil said:

I take it Crosley Field was a little before your time? 😉

How are their current stadiums?  And for the record my football team plays at Commonwealth Stadium.  I'll be cold, cold dead in the ground before I recognize any of that corporate naming crap! 😛 

Yeah, I'm not quite that old. Great American Ballpark is fine, but Paul Brown Stadium isn't much better than Riverfront was. Nippert Stadium where the Bearcats play has to be the best. It's like the Wrigley Field of football.

On 10/2/2020 at 7:28 PM, Bearcat-Doug said:

I miss the Reds and Bengals being good 30+ years ago, but Riverfront Stadium was awful.

Yeah, Riverfront was a cookie cutter and generally those do stink...but I have fond memories of the place.  I went to a ton of baseball games there from the late 80s to the late 90s when my brother and I would visit my dad in Cincinnati for the summer.  I went to Games 1 and 2 of the 1990 World Series, and that was just perfect...my dad pulled us out of school in Iowa so we could attend a World Series.  😁  I remember Riverfront rockin' during those two games.

As a kid, I love the color-coded seating too... Red seats were the cheapies, Green seats were middle class (in my kid mind) and the blue seats were for the richer people who wanted to sit up front (again, in my kid mind).  But THEN there were the yellow seats on the Club level.  THOSE were where the real power players sat (don't you just love how kids minds work?), and we got lucky one or two times to sit in the yellow seats because my dad got them from a work colleague who was also a ticket broker on the side or some such thing.

Yeah, Riverfront was considered awful by many...but I have many great memories from that stadium and I am glad I got to see a World Series in it!

Edited by Sumer

46 minutes ago, Sumer said:

Yeah, Riverfront was a cookie cutter and generally those do stink...but I have fond memories of the place.  I went to a ton of baseball games there from the late 80s to the late 90s when my brother and I would visit my dad in Cincinnati for the summer.  I went to Games 1 and 2 of the 1990 World Series, and that was just perfect...my dad pulled us out of school in Iowa so we could attend a World Series.  😁  I remember Riverfront rockin' during those two games.

As a kid, I love the color-coded seating too... Red seats were the cheapies, Green seats were middle class (in my kid mind) and the blue seats were for the richer people who wanted to sit up front (again, in my kid mind).  But THEN there were the yellow seats on the Club level.  THOSE were where the real power players sat (don't you just love how kids minds work?), and we got lucky one or two times to sit in the yellow seats because my dad got them from a work colleague who was also a ticket broker on the side or some such thing.

Yeah, Riverfront was considered awful by many...but I have many great memories from that stadium and I am glad I got to see a World Series in it!

The Reds and Bengals haven't been to a World Series or Super Bowl since they moved out, so maybe they should have stayed there.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

They were made an example of. Its happening all over baseball. To think your favorite team doesnt steal signs is naive af.

red sox scandal burried quickly. Yankees scandal burried. Yankees had already been found cheating prior along with the red sox, so these scandals are second offenses. Baseball knows its a huge problem and wanted to make a scape goat for one team.  If anyone sits there as a yankees fan and condemns the astros I just laugh. 

Edited by Quest4Nes

Editorials Team · Posted
40 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

They were made an example of. Its happening all over baseball. To think your favorite team doesnt steal signs is naive af.

red sox scandal burried quickly. Yankees scandal burried. Yankees had already been found cheating prior along with the red sox, so these scandals are second offenses. Baseball knows its a huge problem and wanted to make a scape goat for one team.  If anyone sits there as a yankees fan and condemns the astros I just laugh. 

Ah, the Patriots fan defense.  "Everyone does it! We just got caught"

Making an example of them would be stripping the title.  Well, making the strip official anyhow...

It doesn't matter.  Pro sports are a dumb little diversion to waste away time rooting for a uniform.  But I can laugh at the irony of the Astros winning it all 😄

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Ah, the Patriots fan defense.  "Everyone does it! We just got caught"

Making an example of them would be stripping the title.  Well, making the strip official anyhow...

It doesn't matter.  Pro sports are a dumb little diversion to waste away time rooting for a uniform.  But I can laugh at the irony of the Astros winning it all 😄

Its a pretty good defense.

Some may say the best defense. Ive heard many people praise the defense.

On 10/6/2020 at 9:04 AM, Sumer said:

Good thing he DID pull you out of skewl...because sadly you and your brother/dad hadn't got another chance to go to the WS since 😞   I mean you just never know about these kind of things...for all I know it may not be until oh, 2025 or 2030 or even later until Kentucky wins another championship (of we were so so so close in 2014 and 2015...). 

Sure we in Big Blue Nation do have exceptionally high expectations and we expect us to at least be in reasonable championship/Final Four contention most every year...but you and I and all other fans of any kind of team sport knows that anything can happen in the post-season and especially for a single elimination kind of deal like the NCAAs, there's always that fact of just plain dumb luck.

7 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

spacer.png

I know he probably had a good run and we all gotta check out sometime and all that but still, it's always sad to see a good man like Joe go 😞  And don't forget a few days earlier we lost the Chairman of the Board too...no not Frank Sinatra but the baseball version, Whitey Ford (wow he made it 91, that's not bad!) 😞 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Morgan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitey_Ford